Two tanks, One room

YHSublime

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eyes darn darn darn phone

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

I believe right about the time you can get a new phone is when I'll be filling up my tank ;)

youre probably right....you might be getting the better deal though. 

Have you gotten your apex going yet?  I haven't...no idea what's wrong with me...I have been staring at it for the better part of a year. 

I like your idea of the movable canopy...probably easier to just do the lights 

youre probably right....you might be getting the better deal though. 

Have you gotten your apex going yet?  I haven't...no idea what's wrong with me...I have been staring at it for the better part of a year. 

I like your idea of the movable canopy...probably easier to just do the lights 

haha.

My Apex is the most expensive under the stand decoration I have at the moment. I got it hooked up to read tempearature. It's one of those things on my list to tackle before I start filling up. I've got it mounted, I think I'm going to hardwire it to my router. When I set it up by the 57 I just threaded my own cat5, will have to run about  20' now vs. the 6' it used to be. I'd much rather have it hooked up and practice with a cycling tank than the DT, which was the only thing that made me wary, like coming home to a skimmer going haywire, or my pumps off and water everywhere. 

Yeah, I'm debating which. maybe I should get 4 more, and just do both.

yea mine is in similar shape....except I had my audio guys come over and put a dedicated plug in for the internet for it. I have temp and an uncalibrated ph monitor LOL but I haven't even mounted mine yet...its just a jumble of wires laying on a step stool 

Geez, you slackers with your non-configured Apex.  The club should have some kind of a progressive dinner (do those exist anymore?) where we visit successive houses with unconfigured Apex devices and set them up while eating.

LOL I am IN!!!

it really is pathetic. Its even all plugged in. In fact the other day my digital time screwed up and overdosed my Alk in the tank, And I said thats it....I am setting the Apex up today....

and yet.....sadly....haven't touched it...lol

Geez, you slackers with your non-configured Apex. The club should have some kind of a progressive dinner (do those exist anymore?) where we visit successive houses with unconfigured Apex devices and set them up while eating.

Slacker of the year over here, I am going to need some help most likely, just need to get the lady out so I can make time to play.

Geez, you slackers with your non-configured Apex. The club should have some kind of a progressive dinner (do those exist anymore?) where we visit successive houses with unconfigured Apex devices and set them up while eating.

Yes! Please set me up on that tour! I'm in the se boat, about 2k in apex parts just sitting in a corner. It's sad.

You know all you guys have to do is visit the Apex forums and download configurations the are close to what you are looking to accomplish. LOL

nice photos and thanks for the share. look at your frags go, haha.

Thanks! It's exciting to see everything growing, even on the racks. A lot of my zoas are taking off, and getting a lot of new branches/growth on my SPS. I've heard having LPS and SPS successfully in one system isn't possible, so maybe my SPS grows a little slower, but I'm alright with that. Still haven't figured out the answer.

You know all you guys have to do is visit the Apex forums and download configurations the are close to what you are looking to accomplish. LOL

Yeah yeah, it's that easy....

Looks good! But...something looks crooked.... :unsure:

Picture is coming down. Not sure what to do behind the space.

Isaac, are you ghost feeding the tank during this time while you're waiting for the cycle to complete?

Sent from my phone

Isaac, are you ghost feeding the tank during this time while you're waiting for the cycle to complete?

Sent from my phone

The rock I used had die off from my 29bc heater meltdown, otherwise, no...

Should I?

Also, cycle seems to have finished, ammonia spike, nitrite spike, ammonia drop, nitrite spike, nitrate drop. Also nitrite drop.

Also, cycle seems to have finished, ammonia spike, nitrite spike, ammonia drop, nitrite spike, nitrate drop. Also nitrite drop.

Uh Oh, not even close to Halloween!!

nice photos and thanks for the share. look at your frags go, haha.

I also forgot to mention, I hope those pictures look a little better? I've been shooting RAW and adjusted the blues in my light to a more decent spectrum. The tank definitly looks more natural, and closer to the colors I was getting metal halides. I was essentially running the blues the same % as the other channel. The iPhone will still produce the blues, but my nikon should yield a better picture from now on, I mean, who do ya'll think I am, Gadgets?

Sent from my phone

Sorry for the brevity last post, this caught me off gaurd, and got me thinking. So I had a lot of die off from my 29 after it had finished cycling, and most of the rock was used in there. I never rinsed it, and I presume there was a lot of die off on it. Also, a lot of my live rock that I put in had a lot of mini starfish as well that I don't think pulled through when I added it as soon as I had my sump hooked up. The sand was "live pink fiji" which I presume means it had the bacteria to start the cycle with as well. Like I mentioned in my above post, I saw the chemistry of a cycle, and I'm nearly finished with a 5.0 ppm nitrates. Do you think it was very quick (1.5-2 weeks) because I didn't ghost feed? I presumed there should have been enough dead in there already. But I got to thinking tonight, if I were to start ghost feeding, would my nitrates rise, or would I start another cycle?

Uh Oh, not even close to Halloween!!

Halloween is an early date my friend. I believe November 1st will be my real deal. Even then, I don't want to add 10 fish all at once and be done with it. Have you seen my fish list? I'll need until then to save for it, but I'm fairly sure I've got a good line up.

I currently have:

2 regular clown percs

1 target mandarin

4 green chromis

1 Hippo Tang

1 Foxface

1 Yellow Tang

And the additions I would like to add are:

Achilles Tang (Acanthurus achilles)

Chevron Tang (Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis)

Sailfin Tang, Desjardini (Zebrasoma desjardini)

Blonde Naso Tang (Naso elegans)

Hoeven's Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus)

Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus carpenteri)

Scott's Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus scottorum)

Red Striped Anthias (Pseudanthias fasciatus)

Yellow Prawn Goby (Cryptocentrus cinctus)

It's been recomended I add all the tangs at once. However, I'm working with several vendors to see if they can be quarantined and held. With something like the Achilles (which is really one of my favorites) it's a bit of a risk, as it is not only an "expert" rated fish, but I believe it is considered one as it's hard to get eating right away, and there is always the chance of bullying. It would be a shame to spend so much money on a fish, and not have it pull through. I would like to add them individually as i can afford them and QT them, so still trying to figure out what the best way to do it is. On top of that, making sure the system fully cycles, and is set up properly, I'd like to have my Apex configured and running, with updates to my phone. Then to top it all off, I want my ATO setup perfectly, my wires neatly organized, a fuge light for my sump rather than that little clip on that I have at the moment, and a canopy that can be pivoted up to the ceiling with the twist of a knob.

Now that I say that all outloud, it sounds like I have plenty to work on till Nov. 1st :)

A little picture tonight of my nems enjoying themselves before lights out:

DSC_0280_zps7d6374a6.jpg

I like your fish list and the 57 looks good. The 150 might end up being a little small for the Achilles, but you can always go bigger.

I like your fish list and the 57 looks good. The 150 might end up being a little small for the Achilles, but you can always go bigger.

Hahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaha.

But seriously....

Before or after the breakup. There is also the possibility of a chocolate tang instead of the achilles, which might save me some money and headaches down the line.

In a few years, in a more permanent home you may want a larger tank..

so just see if you can get a smaller Achilles ...I know they are hard to come by but if its your favorite fish....

Hahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaha.

But seriously....

Before or after the breakup. There is also the possibility of a chocolate tang instead of the achilles, which might save me some money and headaches down the line.

I have a very small chocolate Quantum got me last year, If you could get a small Achilles like Kim said, you'd be golden for awhile. I have always read they don't do well in small systems, not that a 150 is small, but....