Roozen's Nursery?

ohaverd

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got a auto mechanics jacket without a name tag. does that work? even though i wore a shirt with my name on it, i should have worn that mechanics jacket when i bought the fish. at least the plants had prices.

Am I the only one who thinks there is some SERIOUSLY wrong with prices changing based on the perception of how much the consumer can pay? I know I should't say anything to possibly start an argument but it just seems very wrong to me.

Yea. One of the things I like least about the place.

I wonder how my Montgomery Co. Park Staff sweatshirt would go over there.

the brothers were always cool whenever i went there. i liked their stories of childhood back in their country. it's a fun place to go and browse around. definitely qt. i never bought from there, but i always liked rolling there with a friend.

Edited by Amuze

Am I the only one who thinks there is some SERIOUSLY wrong with prices changing based on the perception of how much the consumer can pay? I know I should't say anything to possibly start an argument but it just seems very wrong to me.

There not the only business who does things like that. We all do it on some scale.

Ive always found the guys there to be really nice. Yes they can come off a little grumpy, but when you actually talk to them theyre very nice. Ive been there tons of times, never actually buying anything though. I dont have a QT, and I usually go during work at lunch (10min drive for me).. Likie the others said you need to know what youre doing and what to look for.. But you will see some really cool stuff there...

Last time I was there the place was actually clean (by roozens standards). The replaced most of if not all the tanks and it looked much better.. I have bought live rock from there, but it was right out of the shipping box still in wet newspaper. Very cool place to go. However, I do not recommend taking the wife/gf. They will find it gross and be pissed they had to walk in the dirt or mud.

Kind of like buying a car, huh? Research first and, if the place is tolerant of bargaining, do what you have to to get your best deal.

I went a few weeks ago when it was slow here at work. I agree that the presentation is sketchy but the fish all looked pretty nice. No one came out to help me and no prices anywhere so no comment on that.

I went a few weeks ago when it was slow here at work. I agree that the presentation is sketchy but the fish all looked pretty nice. No one came out to help me and no prices anywhere so no comment on that.

Never ask for the price. Just say, "I will pay $120 for the pair of blue throat triggers, please add some food to the tank, so I can see them eat."

Never ask for the price. Just say, "I will pay $120 for the pair of blue throat triggers, please add some food to the tank, so I can see them eat."

Yeah......been doing that for years. I can remember back when I first started going there some 20+ years ago and seeing other LFS owners buying live stock from there to re-sale in their stores.

I have actually bought most of my fish from Roozan's and at better prices then anywhere else. I got a Sohal and a purple tang for 110 each. As far as the qt goes I don't do it maybe I have lucked out but I havent had any problems with fish from there, but yea the tanks are still kind of dirty looking. Oh by the way I don't recommend coral from there its usually in poor health but fish are usually great.

I don't like it either, but I think in threads like this people have a tendency to exaggerate it. In my opinion, the prices have been remarkably stable given the amount of livestock they are going through. I can usually estimate the price fairly well, and the price is usually the same whether I show up in a suit or cut-offs. (some would say because they know me, and there may be something there). If you only have 5 fish for sale, it's a lot easier to have consistent prices from day to day, etc. These guys go through so much, they can't mark them or be perfectly consistent.

Yes, it happens, but not to the extent you would think by reading this thread.

And if anyone is thinking Roozen's is the only place whose prices fluctuate to some extent based on people's moods, time of day, the weather, etc...that is nonsense.

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

They practically gave me my tank. It was their 180 eel tank that was on the right back corner when you walked into the shop. And I've bought lots of plants from them. However, the displays are always a mess and with the wood rot, I wonder how long until the whole system caves in. Half way decent guys just have to get past the crust. If the price is to much say so and "I'll give you this much". Must QT too.

I live down the street. I often go there when I have questions. They younger brother (I assume) has helped me alot in the past. Even gave me some open box stuff free once. But the prices do change from just above market value to darn good deal. Thanks for letting me know it was because of my suit and tie. Now when I go there I take pictures, do research, come back and buy if I like it.

OK, just went there today. Two words....bubble algae! Jeez, I could've filled my trunk with the stuff. Decent selection, they even had a lamprey! No nautilus though this time. I will be going back on a weekend when they get there shipments as they do seem to have a lot of stuff you just don't see.

There tangs always seem fat unlike most shops.

Never lost a fish from there wish i could say that about other shops.

Only time i would think twice about a fish from ROO"s is in the heat

of the summer when i have seen some fish not look to good.

I have seen alot of things regulary for sale there that i have never seen at any

md/va store and got my rock for unreal prices a few years ago.