Roozen's Nursery?

ohaverd

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been there in a few years. Here are my impressions:

- It is not nice despite what your friend may have said. It is a greenhouse with a dirt floor. The tanks usually appear filthy though a year or so ago I heard they cleaned up all the tanks.

- It is definitely worth a visit as you will see fish there you don't typically find other places. They do a lot of wholesale business so there is a lot of turnover in their stock.

- You will see sick fish but you will also see a lot of healthy fish. If you know what you're looking for and what you're doing, you can get some deals.

- Everything from Roozens must be QT'd. They run copper in most of their systems so don't let any of their water get into your water.

Can of worms here!!!

Some love it. Some hate it. I think the variety of fish they carry is amazing. The health of the fish is what keeps me from buying from there again since I dont QT. But others have had great success with fish from there.

Ron

No other store around has the volume or selection of fish that Roozen's has. As for fish health and QT'ing, think of them as better than a Pecto but not near as good as the vendors that support the club. They really don't have anyone knowledgable there since Larry left so do your homework before buying a fish and don't rely on them to tell you what is compatible with your tank. There are no posted prices and pricing can vary so don't walk in there looking like money or wearing a tie after work, you'll pay more.

been in the hobby for a long time and have always enjoyed going to Roozens. just make sure you know your stuff before going cause with Larry gone it's like asking for help in Home Depot. it's true about the pricing, it changes depending on who you ask.

Am I missing something? A few months ago, I drove about an hour and a half to their "nursery" (I am from Southern Maryland) only to find a dirty, run down green house with no fish. They had some fish supplies, but it was older stock. I didn't see a dang fish and the staff was as grumpy as can be.

Is there an "aquatics" section that I missed somehow?

The aquatic section is in the back with tons of fish. I agree that you should know your stuff before going. I think the staff is very knowledgeable but just do not show it all the time. I would be grumpy after dealing with some of the customers they encounter. I have been in their countless times when they tried to give great advice and the customer does not want to hear it. The floors are dirt and the tanks can be dirty at times but no other lfs can compare to the variety of fish they usually have in stock.

been in the hobby for a long time and have always enjoyed going to Roozens. just make sure you know your stuff before going cause with Larry gone it's like asking for help in Home Depot. it's true about the pricing, it changes depending on who you ask.

Ha Ha

I'll prob go check this place out on a lunch break some day. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

+1. I love going to Roozens. You have to know what you're buying; compatability, diet, max size, etc. before you go there. The eye candy may cause buyers remorse. You have to know what to look for as far as health issues go. Do your homework with regard to pricing. Some days it's good and some days it's not. Be prepared to walk away if you need to. You should go with someone who's got experience in reef keeping if you're new to the hobby. Ask a sponsoring vendor closest to you if they can get what you're looking for first. Shopping at Roozens reminds me of shopping at Delancy Street or China Town in New York. the difference for me is that I always have success haggling with merchants in New York. I have no success haggling with Roozens. I still love the place.

No other store around has the volume or selection of fish that Roozen's has. As for fish health and QT'ing, think of them as better than a Pecto but not near as good as the vendors that support the club. They really don't have anyone knowledgable there since Larry left so do your homework before buying a fish and don't rely on them to tell you what is compatible with your tank. There are no posted prices and pricing can vary so don't walk in there looking like money or wearing a tie after work, you'll pay more.

i bought my first there. they pretty much picked the livestock for me by telling me what fishes can go together in my tank size, 10 gallon.not much selection on dry goods though.

suit and tie = high prices.

maintenance shirt/car = low prices

Jas Roozen is the owner and if you get to know him, you might glean some of the information that he has from 25+ years of business. Crazy prices on fish. $25 Flame Angels and $200 Black Tangs. More variety than you can shake a stick at.

Highly recommended.

Jas Roozen is the owner and if you get to know him, you might glean some of the information that he has from 25+ years of business. Crazy prices on fish. $25 Flame Angels and $200 Black Tangs. More variety than you can shake a stick at.

Highly recommended.

+1

If you have a shirt with your name on it, this is the place you want to wear it.

I just visited their site. They sell NAUTILIS'?! I didn't think you could get one out of the depths of the ocean, or at the very least keep them without some sort of pressurized system.

Haha yeah they do. Ive seen them there many times. But not in the last year or so.

Well Sheee ittt! I gotta see this. I happen to be working at the National Harbor on Friday (in a suit no less, I guess I'll bring some ratty clothes), so I'll make the side trip.

Highly recommended.

+1

If you have a shirt with your name on it, this is the place you want to wear it.

I will say the owner is very knowledgable and will give you a deal if he likes you

Well Sheee ittt! I gotta see this. I happen to be working at the National Harbor on Friday (in a suit no less, I guess I'll bring some ratty clothes), so I'll make the side trip.

Am I the only one who thinks there is some SERIOUSLY wrong with prices changing based on the perception of how much the consumer can pay? I know I should't say anything to possibly start an argument but it just seems very wrong to me.