Coral Hind's 600g FOWLR

Coral Hind

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having withdrawals. Can I stop by soon and clean the front of your tank please? :)  I'm in Ashburn now, so it's a short drive too!

It looks terrific. Love the huge angel. Actually I am surprised how much I like the fake corals too. I was viewing his website, and instantreef.com as well. That's definitely a cool option. All the coral without the lights, supplements, etc.

It's so hard to wrap my head around the fact that this insanely incredible tank is in your home....I don't know how you ever leave the room it's in...lol...my blood pressure dropped just watching that short video...

Amazing amazing tank!!!!!!

Looks good, CoralHind. All of the fish activity is pretty cool. We don't see enough fish only tanks around here.

so nice to see a larger build and so many fish in there. the activity could keep me entertained for a while!

are you still using the bio-balls? i know you mention in my thread about getting the ceramic plates. is that to replace bio balls or to simple add surface area for biological filtration. just curious how your maitenance of them went and worked liked you hoped now that you've been set up for a whlie. also, any fish in QT - any pics?

Monkiboy,

My original plan was to fill the tank with large messy eaters so that is why I decided to go with the bio balls originally. As the family votes on what gets added the stocking list has changed. A few of the large messy eaters were removed because of bad behavior, the aggressive tank just got too aggressive for us. I then started removing the bio balls and tower they were in to make room in the sump and to see what effect it would have on the system. There was no ammonia or nitrite issue seen. I passed half of the bio balls off to another club member for use in a pond.

The rock and sand bed seem to be working fine and I feed a lot of food; one full sheet of Nori, two full size table shrimp, and at least six cubes of frozen food every day. My nitrates tested over the weekend were around 40ppm. I want to add the ceramic plates to experiment and see if they do anything to the nitrates while leaving all the other maintenance routines the same.

There are no fish in QT right now that are planning to go into this tank. I think the stock list is pretty much where I want it.

thanks for the update and full low down. that's awesome that things worked out that way in tandem with removing the messier eaters. probably less effort overall in terms of maintenance anyway. so, sit back and enjoy it i guess now huh? wow, must be nice on such a large build! good work!

It's so hard to wrap my head around the fact that this insanely incredible tank is in your home....I don't know how you ever leave the room it's in...lol...my blood pressure dropped just watching that short video...

Amazing amazing tank!!!!!!

Lunch date to go visit his aquarium? :)

This FTS is a bit old, but I wanted to show off my fake corals, I went with instantreef.com (it is the huge middle piece, everything else is real corals or real rock), I actually have 2 other inserts, but there was not enough room for the rock with them, so they had to go (they work great for QT though!) I originally was doing a FOWLR and inverts/clams, but I seem to now be doing a fish with some corals tank =P
uay2.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Coral Hind, your tank is a dream come true. I have been planning my wwaayy in the future tanks and want a (true) FOWLR and I was thinking it would have to be around 600g to fit everyone. Your tank is magnificent, great job.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

WOW!!!! Amazing!!! Learned so much from your thread. It was a pleasure meeting you, and we can't thank you enough for your help. People like you are what makes this group the BEST! 

Wait.......I only counted one Vlamingi..........what happened?

The two giants got along great for a very long time but one day while feeding the tank they instantly started fighting. I assume it was over a piece of food and I thought it would die down in a couple of days but it never slowed. If you've seen small tangs go at it then image what two almost foot long ones look like. I had to act fast so I offered it to Justin's Greenhouse but he was in the middle of renovation so I finally gave the larger one to a friend that has a 750g tank and it is doing great there as the show piece!

• 1 month later...

I can't remember if I saw you were looking for one or not, but DD just had a miniatus grouper go up for sale. Thought you might be interested.  

Thanks for link but I have one in my 75g now.

how do you keep the decorations clean? snails?

I haven't done anything to really clean them. The lights are not kept as high as you would see in a reef tank so there is minimal algae, just some diatoms in places. I still only clean the acrylic once a month if not longer. I don't have any snails or hermits but I do have a lawnmower blenny that I got from Fins and Feathers which does a good job at keeping them some what clean.

• 5 months later...

I swapped out my 150g Rubbermaid sump for a 250g poly sump that came from the National Aquarium. I had to teach myself to weld plastic in order to repair a leak it had but it works great now. A huge thanks goes out to davelin315 for helping me get this sump.

Here it is my truck waiting to go into the garage.
Sump_zpsf0a81305.jpg

Newly installed. It takes three 7"x14" filter socks.
Sump2_zpsf49841bb.jpg