Coral Hind's 600g FOWLR

Coral Hind

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok that was awesome picture LOL....so incredibly funny....

I dont know how you leave the house...I would just sit and stare at that tank all day long....absolutely gorgeous!!!

how high are the nitrates?

I used an API kit and got 30ppm. It was higher at around 50ppm but I switched foods last month and it has been coming down since the switch. I am not worried until it gets to be over 100. The test kits for the hobby can look at Nitrate in two ways depending on which types you use, that's why I said I used an API. A LaMotte kit looks at nitrate-nitrogen which is 4.4 times less than if you used an API or Seachem.

• 1 month later...

Well, it has been two months so here is an update. I got tired of looking at a typical FOWLR with just plain live rock so I added a bunch of really nice, super large, show size colonies of corals last month. I am so very pleased with them and they acclimated quickly. No pest on any of them, the corals haven't faded, and not a single one looks like it will RTN even though they all came out of the box completely dry.

Inserts-FTS_zps071bee11.jpg

Here is a full tank shot after the corals were added, most of the fish are hiding. Sorry no frags!

I know most of the members in this club are coral reefers and there aren't many FOWLR owners here so you rarely see a tank thread on here with coral inserts.

Inserts-Group_zps440740e4.jpg

I purchased the group of inserts above from a guy on Ebay that goes by, fish_1reef. His name is Andy and his website is www.oceanaquaria.com. They are all flexible inserts and look really durable. I also got several hard epoxy inserts from Congressional Aquariums. I really like the two large brains from there because they are hollow and make great caves. Since adding the insert there is a great deal more hiding spots for fish and they all seem to be a good bit happier.

Inserts-Tables_zps72174a7e.jpg

The blue table is 12" across and the green is 16" across.

Inserts-CatPaw_zpsebae1fa0.jpg

The cauliflower is 9"

Insert-LgBrain2_zps03dde2f0.jpg

Here is the large brain with "bishop" our dog face puffer.

Insert-SmBrain_zpsab9b3388.jpg

This brain is slightly smaller than the red one and the Polleni Grouper lives in it.

Here are some top down pictures

Insert-LgBrainTopView_zps0ae3ef27.jpg

This large red brain came from Congressional. The Acropora palmata in the bottom of this picture also came from there.

Insert-TopViewCenter_zps92cd90c9.jpg

Here is the center of the tank.

Insert-TopViewLeft_zps522191ed.jpg

Here is the other side of the tank.

I like those! Natural colors and I really used to love my FOWLR....when I get a big enough tank again when I move that's probably what I'll go back to except for some mushrooms and zoas again....

Looking really nice and seem like your fish lone the new hiding spots.....

sweet update. not really my cup of tea but if you enjoy it and it makes your fish happier then that's all that counts! thanks for the share!

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Cool stuff.  How do they stay clean from algae growth?

The tangs and angels pick the thin brown film off of them when it does grow. I really don't have a lot of lights over the tank since there is no corals so not much algae grows in the tank at all. I only clean the glass about once a month.

That is one H-E-double hockey sticks of a tank David!  Do you have any chronological pics of the tanks you've had over the years?  I still remember the 125 from Base housing.  It would be interesting to see how people progress over the years.

I love the vibrant colors...Really nice open aquascape.  I want to be in line to see it in person sometime :)

That is awesome!  I love it!  One of these days I am going to stop by!

Finally saw the 600g first hand and it looks awesome. Makes my 220g and 155g look like peanuts. Need to upgrade, now the hard part, convincing the spouse.