Steve's 300 Build

STEVE

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

please tell me that a titanium heater?? or is there a reason for glass? had too many glass ones fail on me.

oo and whats in the white boxes (apex or something?)

i hope you sent him to my house next (with the rest of your order)

Word of advice on the alk check......if you have any old salifert test kits, use their pink tips for the syringe vs the ones provided in the hannah kit, they work SOO much better.

They are NOT titanium heaters. That is APEX stuff, 1 setup for me and 1 for Yauger. The alk checker is his too along with 1 box of salt. The Hanna checker I have has the pink tip, but 1 ml is 1ml....??

has nothing to do with the 1ml, i jsut found the clear ones that came with my alk check reagent dont actually hold vaccum/seat well on the syringe so 1ml is always less than 1ml..

Went down to my friends shop and had him cut me out some material so I could start making a small cabinet to house my 3 EB8's and controller.

RawMaterial.jpg

Here is the finished product.

finishedbox.png

apexinside.png

After filling the tank and checking the level, I had to drain most of the water out so I could shim it.

Pump.jpg

I almost forgot.....You become very familier with this place doing a tank build !

HomeDepot-1.jpg

After 4 hours, I finally got the tank within 1/16 of level side to side and about the same front to back....Thats close enough for me!

shims-1.jpg

Steve, I am so jealous man, this exact same tank is on my future build list. 10 yrs ago I was telling you I Had the 180 and i was also worried about chilling it with the metal halides ,I was running at that time, but it turned out later(after I think $400.00) that i did not need the chiller, it was a waste of money. When i do it again , i am going to wait till i need a chiller before buying one, but plan for it with my plumbing,space ,electric ,etc.

eddie

I am near the end of my plumbing layout on my new build and in need of a couple of fittings in schedule 80 1" dia. fittings....

2 or 3 -45 degree fittings

4 or 5 -90 degree fittings

I know I can order them, but I am working on it this weekend and was hoping to finish.....any help would be so awsome! :sad: Thanks in advance, Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Been pretty busy with the build. Here are a couple of the projects.

Went and picked up some 1x1 angle aluminum to build a light rack out of.....

aluminum_zps1415243a.png

Here it is built....I riveted it together. Its very sturdy. This photo is before I painted it black with hight temp paint.

lightrackcomplete_zps094a5055.png

I finally started to add RO/DI water to the tank.....very slow process when your making 300 gallons.

waterdrip_zps459a7f44.png

Here is a shot of the bare Eco Rock from BRS. 250 lbs

rock_zpsc1be7ba6.png

Here is the lighting equipment....from Premium Aquatics. 3-400 watt MH's and ballasts

lights_zps5aa1ba4f.png

Edited by STEVE