Steve's 300 Build

STEVE

isn't that the same as doing a "in-tank" treatment? I would dose copper and other meds if I had a QT up and running...

not with low salinity and corals.

I am a firm beleiver that most people have ich in their tank. Your fish are just healthy and fight it off like a cold.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not with low salinity and corals.

I am a firm beleiver that most people have ich in their tank. Your fish are just healthy and fight it off like a cold.

....even if they go thru quarantine???

well in your case i don't think you will have ich. but you will have to follow that with everything new you stick in the tank. did you get sand from someone else to seed the tank? ich can live there. what about rocks to seed the tank? corals. ich can live there too. That's why i think everyone has ich.

Edited by rocko918

well in your case i don't think you will have ich. but you will have to follow that with everything new you stick in the tank. did you get sand from someone else to seed the tank? ich can live there. what about rocks to seed the tank? corals. ich can live there too. That's why i think everyone has ich.

I am using brand new BRS Eco Rock, with a bare bottom.

Nothing from the 90 goes in the 300 except for frags that I cut...no frag plugs or anything attatched to a rock that could carry BUBBLE ALGAE !!!!!! ( or any other junk)

Thanks for the offer of the plugs, but I have a bunch right now...I will keep you in mind though.

Gotta gitcha back down to the county Chris!...get some pecan pie !

My lord this tank has some potential! Nice plumbing Steve and great choice in lighting. Doing it right it seems. Hey when that calcium reactor starts acting up just sell it to me :) Make sure to go slow with this one and stick with the halides. Also I wonder if your crazy par readings are because your tank is so clean the light blows right through the water. I bet if you get it running for a few months your par will be around 600 near the top.

Received my Reef Octopus 5000 today ! Looks like it is going to be great!

skimmer1_zpse4a5b8fa.jpg

Nice, Steve. What kind of pump is on that beast? From the intake, it kind of looks like a Bubbleblaster.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, just an update on the tank....I finally finished "cycling" the tank,I thought....my Nitrates were still at 100!!!, so I started dosing Vodka to lower them...well that turned into a Bacteria Bloom that I currently have. Monkiboy was nice enought to come up with a 175 gallon water container, so I am just about ready to change out approx 240 gallons of water...should be doing it either tomorrow night or Sat, just depends on the temp of the water. I'm hoping that will get them under control.

Thanks Jake, got that covered...just waiting on the temp to come up an the salt to mix good, just added the salt this morning.

If you want I can come by Saturday morning and help you with the water change and pick up some plumbing parts.

Gotta work Sat, but I will be home Friday evening if you want some plumbing stuff...