Der ABT 156g Build

Der ABT

Ouch man, sorry to hear.  On the plus side, all this adversity will make success even sweeter :)  Anyone can do a water change.  Not everyone can do one while battling a toddler.  I've had success with this swing we picked up off of amazon.  It hangs from the door frame so the little one sits in it and gets to bounce around while I do tank work.  It usually gets me a solid 15-20 minutes before she demands to be picked up :)

I've got a new led light I haven't used.  Let me know if you want to borrow until you get yours fixed. 

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha thanks roni...we had that swing too..unfortunately the "little one" is 1 1/2....so its DaDa holding or....well you know the sound.....she is also battling a virus right now so thats not helping...

Tom ive been lurking slightly.....just really busy with work, kids, keeping the fields mowed at my sisters farm (in MD near hunt valley) so between that, housework, etc....its been tough to go at the tank (espeically with the EVER dwindling budget for it....seems money is falling out of my pockets sometimes...who woulda thought kids are expensive)

Actually took some pics of things to sell and get the garage cleaned up also....didnt realize i could probalby put together 3 or 4 more tanks with the backup stuff i have...i need to stop hoarding. but hopefully it will fund some needed improvements.

Also had a humidty issue lately im trying to rectify...not sure if its the house or the tank but going to be cutting a hole in the wall and exhausting some more air so that will be a fun project.

oh and one last good note,  Clowns in the main tank are starting to prepare the glass for eggs from the looks of things...so at least the fish are happy.

...  I've had success with this swing we picked up off of amazon.  It hangs from the door frame so the little one sits in it and gets to bounce around while I do tank work.  

Boy, does this bring back memories....

....seems money is falling out of my pockets sometimes...who woulda thought kids are expensive)

ROFLMAO. Yeah. Tell me about it. I have put two through college and have a third who'll be going in 4 years. The youngest will be driving in a year and the rates on our car insurance will bump way up again. Just when I gave the other two their cars and got them off of our family auto policy. You've just scratched the surface, my friend. 

haha thanks roni...we had that swing too..unfortunately the "little one" is 1 1/2....so its DaDa holding or....well you know the sound.....she is also battling a virus right now so thats not helping...

Tom ive been lurking slightly.....just really busy with work, kids, keeping the fields mowed at my sisters farm (in MD near hunt valley) so between that, housework, etc....its been tough to go at the tank (espeically with the EVER dwindling budget for it....seems money is falling out of my pockets sometimes...who woulda thought kids are expensive)

Actually took some pics of things to sell and get the garage cleaned up also....didnt realize i could probalby put together 3 or 4 more tanks with the backup stuff i have...i need to stop hoarding. but hopefully it will fund some needed improvements.

Also had a humidty issue lately im trying to rectify...not sure if its the house or the tank but going to be cutting a hole in the wall and exhausting some more air so that will be a fun project.

oh and one last good note,  Clowns in the main tank are starting to prepare the glass for eggs from the looks of things...so at least the fish are happy.

Congrats on the clowns.  I forget Kaelin is older then Saria.  Currently, she finds me to be pretty awesome, which is likely reflective of low standards.  She's also pretty easily amused.  Still, in the middle of the night no kid is ever in a good mood.  I used an exhaust fan in my fish room connected to a humidistat, which has helped.  In the short term, a dehumifier isn't a bad stop gap. 

Boy, does this bring back memories....

ROFLMAO. Yeah. Tell me about it. I have put two through college and have a third who'll be going in 4 years. The youngest will be driving in a year and the rates on our car insurance will bump way up again. Just when I gave the other two their cars and got them off of our family auto policy. You've just scratched the surface, my friend. 

Ugh, don't scare dads with young kids.  I'm trying to convince my girls to skip college.  Michael Dell and Bill Gates did it and it worked for them, right?  

Congrats on the clowns.  I forget Kaelin is older then Saria.  Currently, she finds me to be pretty awesome, which is likely reflective of low standards.  She's also pretty easily amused.  Still, in the middle of the night no kid is ever in a good mood.  I used an exhaust fan in my fish room connected to a humidistat, which has helped.  In the short term, a dehumifier isn't a bad stop gap. 

Ugh, don't scare dads with young kids.  I'm trying to convince my girls to skip college.  Michael Dell and Bill Gates did it and it worked for them, right?  

+1 Is it just me or does it seem to get worse with girls 15-18 years old ? :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

little bit of an update....missed the last water change but will hopefully get to that tonight or tomorrow.

had to fix my D120s, the fixture that dropped in the tank ended up working just fine after replacing the drivers....then i noticed this on the one that went swimming another that has never been swimming.......

20141201_140536_zps702f81b0.jpg

..notice how some of the leds are BLACK....should not be black....ended up having almost all of my RoyalBlues (450nm i think) just get old and "burn up"......did a bunch of soldering and low and behold fixture is 10 times brighter...only problem is i am now out of spare leds (well blue ones) and drivers

otherwise fish are doing fine....blueface should be ready to go into the main now (been in the frag for a long while but is getting bigger)..cant wait.

new note .... picked something up.... will update more soon.

20141201_085749_zps9238454a.jpg

Go on... I'm on the edge of my seat! 

You've got zoas in the frag tank, right? How is the blue face doing with them? it's on my list of fish that I really really really would like to have, but I'm worried about my zoas. 

So far he has been pretty good, had him almost a year now and havent seen any zoa's disappear.  once and a while there is a certain frag that is taken off the rack but could be the yellow tang or him going after some algea growth (there is plenty of it too) and there never seems to be missing polyps....there are a few smaller acro frags in there and they seem to be left alone also..

im sure its luck of the draw,....mine is a juv...and im guessing if you kept them well fed it wont be a problem...know of several in sps tanks taht seem to do fine...i cant wait to put him in the main.

"had to fix my D120s, the fixture that dropped in the tank ended up working just fine after replacing the drivers....then i noticed this on the one that went swimming another that has never been swimming.......

20141201_140536_zps702f81b0.jpg

..notice how some of the leds are BLACK....should not be black....ended up having almost all of my RoyalBlues (450nm i think) just get old and "burn up"......did a bunch of soldering and low and behold fixture is 10 times brighter...only problem is i am now out of spare leds (well blue ones) and drivers"

So you are seeing LED lights burn up and you have to replaced the individual ones?

Has anyone else had to do this that you know of?

What type of fixture and how old?

Thx

Edited by DuffyGeos

It is a D120 ...no heat sink version...so its about 2-3 years old i think....but id have to double check it was one of the early ERC group buys if im not mistaken...and had constant use since then.

they arent technically burned up...they still fired and were teh correct color...but the lense/dome part of the actual led (not the optix) im guessing got hot and burned or is just old....So far it was primarily (90-95% of those that failed/burned) the blues...which do get the most use hour wise...had a mix of 450/480/ etc..... though there were a few whites that did this as well...

but its not all the leds on the channel just a select few (channels go diagonally) and in the above pic you can see it the top row right side 3 leds show it, 2 on the blue channel one on the white channel

when i had the optics on the other one (Fix B) there was no way to tell/see the leds like that (i had no optice on the fixture that swam (fix A) .....but when i put Fix A back on next to Fix B, it was noticabbly brighter so i decided to investigate and ended up replacing more leds on the one that never went swimming.

Still beats replacing T5 or MH bulbs if you ask me (though i still do that on the main tank...dont think you will ever pry my radiums from me)...if it was EVERY led on that channel id think something was up...but may have just been the batch of leds these fixtures had in them were not the best...i often hear leds have a varience among each batch.

but i am no expert i am just a little better at soldering now...and i stayed at a holiday in express once

I'm guessing that they were Bridgelux LEDs just because they seemed to be popular on Chinese fixtures several years back. They and Cree seemed to be the more popular players back then.

Were these 1W or 3W LED's (I can't recall). I'm thinking that they were 3W LED's that were slightly underdriven.

Reefbreeders has some. I think that they're 3W. You may have to check.

https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/single-color-diodes/

Ebay also is a source where you can get some replacements for a lot less.

Remember to put a little dab of Arctic Silver thermal grease under each LED to help dissipate the heat.

I believe they are 3w underdriven to 2 somethign if i remember correctly....again for the price i wasnt expecting the best of the best.

and yes thermal paste was used on alll of them...amazing how far a little of that goes...and glad i only bought one tube.

Holy cow...that reefbreeders link is nuts.....i think they were 25 cents when i ordered them extra...at most 50 cents.....luckily i had enough but if something further happens who knows....i do have a 3rd fixture i have not yet checked..

This is where hoarding is a good thing haha...well thats what i tell myself.

Just got an update from ERC......Marcos is as usual the man.....i explained fully what happened and he started workign on this right away (even before posting)...low and behold he is working on getting me new parts (drivers, leds, and possibly a board)  most of it under warranty......talk about going out of his way

SO need to say a big thanks to ERC....if anyone else is seeing this issue i would suggest talking to him first and see if he thinks he can help, if not you only wasted a pm....i did it expecting to just say he can you still get me these parts for the old fixtures...thinking it was power switches at first...then started digging further and found the led issues that im pretty sure was unrelated to the drop in......makes fleabay/reefbreeder/etc that much less enticing for me....heck even that amazon deal for the wp60s..

Im in love with these dimension....48x24x17 and rimless to boot with a small eurobrace

Tiny bit more progress..... hood skeleton...ran out of wood (scrap i had was just BARELY short)

20141205_115941_zps4d908f34.jpg

will be 2 d120s cut in the center sitting on top and 2 54w t5 inside....flip top with a kick stand much like the old 90g....should be about 8 in off the water.

took off the black painted bottom, will be painting white for reflection/increased light along with the inside of the hood.

20141205_122249_zps013c7f5f.jpg

slow but at least some progress.

missed the water change last week so hopefully will get to it this week...freaking briopsis and hair algea factory....

RODI is actually working right...been thinking something was wrong but new tds meter states different....about 200 going into RO, about 2-4 coming out, and 0 coming out of DI....just under 60psi with the new flow restrictor (up about 5 psi)

Corals and coraline have been liking the past few water changes so im kinda suprised..... may actually put a pic up soon.....

Frag tank has a CRAZY diatom issue....probably cuase i keep forgetting to empty the skimmer cup...but when i get things moved over that will all change.

Glad you are starting to get refreshed in. Is the new tank for the dips and QT?

It's exhausting getting started, but once you start getting into the swing of things, and seeing the results, then it becomes rewarding again. You also mentioned earlier that your biopellets had an issue, or stopped tumbling recently, right? You think that contributed to the hair algae and byropsis?

hair algea and briopsis are from no water change in SEVERAL months....auto feeder dumping a TON of food in the tank twice at least, had the mj1200 feeder to the biopellets stop....this pump is also the feeder to the CS1 skimmer....so basically was skimming nothing for a while...and tavelling too much to notice (at least thats what i tell myself)

lights are probably 2+ years old (maybe even 3) so im sure thats not helping, im just going to get things in order before i change them out cause im cheap like that.

New tank will replace my double frag tank set up (40breeder and 30 cube) since the stand they are on i initially built for a 120g with the same foot print (just made the stand about 6in bigger on all sides  54x30) ....after i sold the tank and had the stand i was going to try and find this tank but the prices scared me into the 40 breeder and daughters cube i already had........but found this at a price i couldnt resist......

ive been running all 3 tanks indepently and do not have time to do taht anymore.....so will combine into a single sump etc (also had one of my small skimmers die) and or may just tie it into the main once everything is how i want it and i have all the corals i want thru qt etc...or just shut the connection off when i need to type of deal...

so now wil have the 156 main, and this tank which is about 80gallons (48x24x17).....i think it will look alot nicer and gives me a chance to really clean things up i hope...

Hey hey! You need some more tangs! But seriously, aside from the hair algae (holy hair algae batman!) it still looks like a top notch reef!

Hey hey! You need some more tangs! But seriously, aside from the hair algae (holy hair algae batman!) it still looks like a top notch reef!

A little hairy, but after a quick shave by a fish or two you should be good to go! Tons of good looking coral!