T-Rocks ADA Rimless Build

trockafella

Ok here it goes. This is my new "used" tank. Its an ADA 120-P Rimless tank. I purchased this from another member (thanks Darren). It is in great condition, and a beautiful tank. For those who dont know ADA is a japanese company, these tanks are hugely popular in the planted freshwater community, as well fairly popular in the reef hobby. It is approx 48" x 18" x 18" with a corner overflow.

I knew I had a move coming and thought it would be a good time for a tank change/upgrade. I used to have a 72g bowfront, this tank is actually 67g. So its almost the same. I didnt like the dimensions of my 72g, and it was getting older and uglier.. So it was time for something a little (actually a lot) nicer. I still live in an Apt so I needed to stay somewhat small.. This tank was exactly what I was looking for, so the build shall begin. I picked up the tank last night and got in the house. There is lots of work to be done before its ready for water, but hopefully by sunday I will be ready to start filling it up.

I have my new rock, which was dry, in a tub where its been curing for 2 months now. Also have a few snails/hermits in there too.. My corals and fish have been vacationing at Stevens house for the last month. Thanks dude.! I kept my sand from the old tank, its been in a bucket for the last couple weeks. I kept most of my equipment, and upgraded a few things. I will do a little list when I get a chance. I have been teetering on what kind of corals to stock, and considered abandoning SPS, but after further thought, I've decided to scrap that thought. Though I dont plan to overstock the corals in this tank. I would like to keep it open and clean, and be very picky about what corals I do keep. I have been in the hobby long enough to get over the impulse coral buys. I would rather take my time and get only what I truly want.

So here we go into this new build. I will "try" to take a bunch of pics along the way. Thanks for following. And a big thanks to those have helped and those who are going to be helping... Big thanks to Steven for holding my livestock, big thanks to Darren for the sweet tank, big thanks to Rob for, hmm, whatever it is that he does, and big thanks to Sean at F&F for the stand, lights and all the other help you have given me. And to anyone I forgot, thanks. The good people of WAMAS really make this whole process much easier... Glad to be a part of it, and hope I do my share in return.

adatank.png

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great start, Travis!!

What is your timer-frame on this? Looks like you have most the things you need :)

Time frame on having it up and running depends on the bulkhead situation. I need to measure tonight, and hopefully get some locally. I would like to have water in it this Sunday if possible. My weeks have been so busy with work and moving, and it seems the next few weeks arent going to be any different. I really only get and hour or so in the evenings right now.. I do have most everythng else, except lights, which is in progress.. I have my skimmer, return pump, sump and fuge light, vortech, ACjr and probes etc, ato, new heater, and rocks/sand. I really only need lights, and well of course some plumbing stuff.. The live rock is already assembled, I built it dry and its just been curing. If it was already plumbed I would be adding water tonight. The stand isnt done, but good enough for the tank to go on, just need to finish the side pieces and mount the rest of the equipment, and get the front piece cut and painted..

It sounds like a lot of work, but once the tank plumbing is done it will come right together. I tried my best do plan things out, though we will see how it comes together.. I will try to keep this thread updated. I've never been a big tank build thread guy, but I am hoping this tank will be worthy of one.

Travis,

Looking good. Are you going LEDs or LED/T5 hybrid...or something else? Those ADA tanks are works of art. They are really hard to appreciate without being in person.

Nice, Travis. How did the move go?

Long and Brutal. But we got it done. We have decided were definitely staying put for atleast 2 years.. We are getting settled in now and comfortable, I think were happy with the move. I know I am happy to have a reason for a new tank, now I cant wait to get it up and running. I really have missed having a tank to come home to. The tub of liverock just doesnt do it for me.

Travis,

Looking good. Are you going LEDs or LED/T5 hybrid...or something else? Those ADA tanks are works of art. They are really hard to appreciate without being in person.

I will be using T5s and LEDs. I am going to do a retro-fit over it. Though I loved my Finnex Hybrid unit, I want it a little different and to have the ability to change things if I want. Gives me a little more flexibility.. It will be 4 36" T5s with LEDs for added veiwing pleasure.. I got this really snazzy light tree thing from Darren that mounts to the wall so I will have a "floating" canopy. I HATE LIGHT LEGS ON RIMLESS TANKS! It drives me nuts when people do that..

BTW I need to get that skimmer to you, but not sure when i will be down that way. I will be in Triangle in the next week or so, I will PM when I know more.

And I couldnt agree more about the ADA tanks. Its really nice and well built. Darren actually said he was happy to sell it to me because I actually new of and appreciated those tanks.

Edited by trockafella

Yes finally! Can't wait to see the progress!

Me too..!!! Doing plumbing saturday evening, so if all goes well should start getting water on sunday (which might take all day).. I feel your pain of trying to move and set up a new tank at the same time. So many things to do with so little time..

Well??? We got water yet?

Not yet. Rob came by and did most of the plumbing yesterday. I just need to grab a few things and finish it up, mount the electronics, get it in place and then I should be ready. I expect to be adding water by wednesday at the latest... I will be out of town this weekend so I am hoping to have it ready on thursday, make sure everything is working, no leaks, no issues.. Let it run over the weekend and come back and start checking the water. I hope it ready for livestock the following weekend.. If I had more free time over the weekend I wouldve had it running probably, but it just didnt work out that way.

Take your time with it. Since your livestock is enjoying Steve's big tank, you might as well not rush and get things done at a reasonable pace. Let me know when you're down in this area.

Take your time with it. Since your livestock is enjoying Steve's big tank, you might as well not rush and get things done at a reasonable pace. Let me know when you're down in this area.

If the corals grow on to my rocks/tank they are mine by default. Thanks!

If the corals grow on to my rocks/tank they are mine by default. Thanks!

well obviously...and as the person who pushed for keeping them in your tank longer, I expect a kickback :biggrin:

Thats a good point Steven.. Thats why you were keeping on the sand.. Im sure they have all grown plenty.!! They look great in all the pictures. I actually feel bad about taking the orange shoulder back, it looks so happy in there, but its the GFs favorite..

Will do.. I know we have another load of stuff to take down that way to storage.

Got some water in the tank. Should have it full tonight and turn the system on. Already layed the sand down, and put the rocks in, though they need some organizing.

So, I had my rocks curing in a tub indoors for 2 months, and when we moved I put them on the balcony, and kinda forgot, so they sat in the cold for a week and a half with pumps and a cover, but no heat. I also had some snails and 1 hermit in there. I thought for sure that everything would be dead, the water felt pretty cold, but much to my suprise almost all the snails and the 1 hermit were still alive. I cant believe they survived. I threw them in the tank which is 2/3 full and has the vortech running on it. So after tonight hopefully the fun begins.

I am gonna let it run tonight and check for leaks, hopefully all will be well as I am going out of town til monday. I'd like to let it start its cycle and get going while im gone. So I am hoping for the best, or atleast hoping I plumbed it all ok. Still have lots to do, but im headed in the right direction. Hopefully by the first of november I will be ready to bring my fish and corals home.!!

I will try and get pics up on onday when I get back in town...

Getting wet is always whats seems to get me going on setting up a new tank. I might lag around a bit before water goes in, but once it does, I can't wait to see the system really running.

Looking forward to seeing the setup.

Looking forward to see this bad boy.......any plans on how you are going to arrange the live rock? To me, that is probably the most important part of the tank build.....I too like the open concept (it just sucks paring down corals though).

cheers,

Darren

I actually feel bad about taking the orange shoulder back, it looks so happy in there, but its the GFs favorite..

Just get Steve to buy you a new one. It will save the hassle of having to try to catch it in that big tank!!

Looking forward to see this bad boy.......any plans on how you are going to arrange the live rock? To me, that is probably the most important part of the tank build.....I too like the open concept (it just sucks paring down corals though).

cheers,

Darren

actually the aquascape was built dry and had been sitting in a tub curing. I got the rock in the tank last thursday, and filled it up. i was gone til last night, but when i got home i got the system all turned on, got the rock settled in its place. I put all the extra rock in the sump for now. I am pleased it turned out just how i planned. I will get some pics up over the next couple days.. I did get the skimmer running as well, and everything is going great wit one exception. I cant get my DC8 to work. Not sure why yet, and I havent done much troubleshooting yet, thats the next battle. I also need to get the stand finished this week as well.

Darren, I think you will be pleased at the way your old tank looks. Its really a beautiful tank, it has such a clean look.