Steve's (forrealb50's) new tank... going deep!

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

Got a bunch done tonight. Added silicone around the starboard and finished 90% of the plumbing.

What do you think?

477eaf56-580e-64b1.jpg

477eaf56-5829-92ab.jpg

The left side of the sump is obviously where the filter socks go and the skimmer will be there too. Ill probably put all the probes on the left side as well. The middle is for the return pump only. The right side is the refugium where the flow can be adjusted with the ball valve from the main return.

I do have cut longer return down pipes so they go deep into the socks so they don't make any splashing noise and less salt creep.

Edited by forrealb50

hahaha! I can't wait to see this built either...

Trust me, I can't wait either. I should be able to get water in by this weekend. I still need to:

1. Add stand pipes in overflow

2. Cut longer down pipes for filter socks

3. Glue all plumbing

4. Drill holes for 4 x Korila 4's in euro bracing

5. Install Sea Swirly & plumbing

6. Hang light fixture

7. Build rockscape

That should be everything I need to do at least to start cycling the tank while I hook up the rest of the electronics, skimmer, etc.

I got a ton done tonight.

I was able to drill 3 of the 4 holes for the korilas in the euro bracing and mount the power heads. I also hooked up the wavysea, hung the light fixture and finished all the plumbing.

All I have to do now is the rockscape and drill the last hole in the euro bracing.

Here are some pics... enjoy!

477eaf56-b26f-b973.jpg

477eaf56-b27f-a54b.jpg

477eaf56-b28f-f8e9.jpg

477eaf56-b2a3-4063.jpg

477eaf56-b2c6-fea2.jpg

477eaf56-b2d8-58b9.jpg

almost too nice! I have slowly started turning green with envy, lol! tongue.gif

Hahaha, thanks.

Look like your light fixture alittle short.

Are the 4 korilas controlable?

The light fixture was purchased to match the design of the tank. The euro bracing is 6" deep and made from 1" acrylic. I don't think much light would even pass through it with a 48" fixture. Also, since the tank is in the basement where most of the tv watching is held I wanted the least amount of light bleeding out the side of the tank on to the couch.

The korilas are not controllable. The random flow will be generated by the Wavysea. Nice and simple :)

Make sure everything's level before you add water. Also, watch the water line to make sure the water's not pushing up against the eurobrace. You don't want water getting out through the holes.

Make sure everything's level before you add water. Also, watch the water line to make sure the water's not pushing up against the eurobrace. You don't want water getting out through the holes.

Thanks for the heads up. I spent a while leveling the tank and the stand a few days ago. I'm giong to fill it 1/4 way and then check the level again. The euro bracing should be 2" below where the water line is, I'm hoping not to run into any problems like that.

Looks great Steve! How was drilling the 1" thick brace?

Very clean setup.

Not easy. I got 3 holes drilled with two batteries. I also had the drill bit used for the pilot hole stuck and had to tap it out. Getting the chunck of arylic out of the hole saw is the hardest part.

I think you need a LOT more rock. Is this fish only or are you doing a reef? I like when at least one portion of the rock goes up near the top 1/4 of the tank, but thats just me.

I DO like that you did not do a rock wall.

a LOT more rock definitely!

You can build up in the middle and make caves or crevices without making a rock wall in the back.

Hold out Steve!

When the corals are 18" in diameter, that rock height will look awesome.