Steve's (forrealb50's) new tank... going deep!

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, the rocks look small in the picture but remember the dimentions are 32x32x50. The rock in the middle sticking up is 16" across. I got a lot of room to play with in there.

Tonight I need to finish drilling one hole and put the base board under the sump so it can be leveled. I also fabbed up an awesome light mount for the refugium. I'll post some pics of that tonight. However, tonight should be the big day. I bought 25' of tubing so I can run the line from the ro/di filter in the laundry room straight to the tank. I also have 30 gallons of filtered water in a brute trash can waiting.

I am going to have to come check this out sometime. I should wait until you have loaded up on chalices and I am back in the hobby. Lol.

What type of overflow did you decide on? Herbie? If so, will having the tee off into the fuge present any problems? I thought the main drain is completely submerged and the emergency is above the waterline...

Just can't tell from your pictures.

What type of overflow did you decide on? Herbie? If so, will having the tee off into the fuge present any problems? I thought the main drain is completely submerged and the emergency is above the waterline...

Just can't tell from your pictures.

Yep, going with the Herbie. I was reading as long as what is being T'ed off is constant flow it should work. I can also use a maxi jet out of the left side if it doesn

Yep, going with the Herbie. I was reading as long as what is being T'ed off is constant flow it should work. I can also use a maxi jet out of the left side if it doesn't work. The emergency drain is above the water line but you can't see it because of the filter sock. I also just realized I don't need a filter sock on that side because it will only be used in emergencies.

I hope the Herbie method works. It shoulds too good to be true.

Did you put gate valves on the return and main drain?

It should work so long as the valve is upstream the tee.

Like this:

sump <------------|X|-----< tank

fuge <---|x|---|

not this:

sump <-----|X|--------< tank

fuge <------|X|---|

Does that make sense?

In the first case the valve in the fuge line will change the flow to both the sump and fuge, but will not affect the total coming from the tank (since it is set at the input). In the second case either valve will affect the flow from the tank and the flow to the fuge and sump.

Steve - Just a suggestion, but you may want to move the individual rock structures a little further apart. It really looks cool to me when you have a valley with corals growing off the rock walls.

Hold out Steve!

When the corals are 18" in diameter, that rock height will look awesome.

Agreed! Be patient with letting corals grow in and it will look incredible. All of the open space will make it look very dramatic--and excellent for flow.

Don't add any rock. I tried to be minimalist in my 70 and now it looks cluttered. When I rescape, I'm pulling about half the rock. I would spread it out a little more if it was me, however.

It should work so long as the valve is upstream the tee.

Like this:

sump <------------|X|-----< tank

fuge <---|x|---|

not this:

sump <-----|X|--------< tank

fuge <------|X|---|

Does that make sense?

In the first case the valve in the fuge line will change the flow to both the sump and fuge, but will not affect the total coming from the tank (since it is set at the input). In the second case either valve will affect the flow from the tank and the flow to the fuge and sump.

I think I get it and I'm pretty sure I have it the first way :)

Steve - Just a suggestion, but you may want to move the individual rock structures a little further apart. It really looks cool to me when you have a valley with corals growing off the rock walls.

Good idea. I moved the left rock structure over a few inches and think it helped. It's hard to tell from the picture but there are a few inches between each rock structure. Also have that live rock going in this weekend once this tank is filled with salt water.

(edited)

Btw. This is taking so long to fill up.

477eaf56-4e25-0e14.jpg

The question is... Do I let it fill over night. My ro/di filter is only 100gpd so it shouldn't even be close to full in the morning. What do you think?

Edited by forrealb50

Is there a difference between those two pictures? :tongue:

(edited)

Is there a difference between those two pictures? :tongue:

Yeah one was taken later but that is about it. I finished watching some TV and forced my self to not look at the tank. I walked over to it and thought to my self "thats it?!?!"

let it run...

Thats what I'm thinking. Then add salt, then pick up the live rock from Aquatic Obsession and let it cycle. That will give me 30 days or so to work on all the electronics. Oh yeah and I have to build the Avast skimmer.

Edited by forrealb50