Steve's (forrealb50's) new tank... going deep!

(edited)

It has begun! NAGA helped me with an awesome design for my next tank in the new house! Deposit made, tank being built! Here is the basic equipment list that is either being built or already on order.

- Display tank dimensions: 50x32x32 w/ 1" acrylic euro braced! 187 gallons

- Sump: 34x24x18 Acrylic with 15 gallon refugium section

- 10 gallon RO/DI reservoir

- TLF Kalk Reactor

- ATI 6 Bulb T5 (not enough light but will work for now)

- Avast Marine Skimmer & ATO

- Koralia 4's x 4

- Eheim Return 1260

Now the questions are FOWLR or Reef? I'll finally have a tank to house some impressive fish.

Anyone know how to use those 3D modelers to give me something to drool over for a while?

Edited by forrealb50

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always thought that a cool tank would be a fish only with live rock with mainly angels and butterflies, with soft corals and mushrooms thrown in (basically anything that doesn't get eaten). Your present equipment list would easily support this and if you decided to do another direction, get more water motion and a brighter light and go SPS.

It has begun! NAGA helped me with an awesome design for my next tank in the new house! Deposit made, tank being built! Here is the basic equipment list that is either being built or already on order.

- Display tank dimensions: 50x32x32 w/ 1" acrylic euro braced! 187 gallons

- Sump: 34x24x18 Acrylic with 15 gallon refugium section

- 10 gallon RO/DI reservoir

- TLF Kalk Reactor

- ATI 6 Bulb T5 (not enough light but will work for now)

- Avast Marine Skimmer & ATO

- Koralia 4's x 4

- Eheim Return 1260

Now the questions are FOWLR or Reef? I'll finally have a tank to house some impressive fish.

Anyone know how to use those 3D modelers to give me something to drool over for a while?

Nice!

I've always thought that a cool tank would be a fish only with live rock with mainly angels and butterflies, with soft corals and mushrooms thrown in (basically anything that doesn't get eaten). Your present equipment list would easily support this and if you decided to do another direction, get more water motion and a brighter light and go SPS.

That's what I'm thinking too. Easier to start with a FOWLR then go full blown reef down the road. I've always wanted triggers, angles and butterflies. I'm sure there are plenty of corals that can be added to a FOWLR that could stand a chance with some of those fish. They can't every coral.. or can they?

NICE JOB! I think fowlr would be cool.

What kind of rock do you plan on ordering? I have read good things about BRS Pukani rock, and seeding with a couple select PEST FREE live rock pieces. Make sure you drill, cement, and twist tie the rock together if you get triggers...

NICE JOB! I think fowlr would be cool.

What kind of rock do you plan on ordering? I have read good things about BRS Pukani rock, and seeding with a couple select PEST FREE live rock pieces. Make sure you drill, cement, and twist tie the rock together if you get triggers...

I'm going with Premium Aquatics South Seas Dry Rock. I will be building one large tower with multiple arms offset to the left side of the tank. It will be held together with acrylic rods, epoxy and zip ties. The rest of the tank will be open swimming room. No rocks touching any sides of the tank.

I forgot to add the first 5 posters have to come help pick this back breaker up and put it on the steel stand ;)

I'm going with Premium Aquatics South Seas Dry Rock. I will be building one large tower with multiple arms offset to the left side of the tank. It will be held together with acrylic rods, epoxy and zip ties. The rest of the tank will be open swimming room. No rocks touching any sides of the tank.

I forgot to add the first 5 posters have to come help pick this back breaker up and put it on the steel stand wink.gif

Depending when this goes down I may take you up on that blush.gif

I would really like to see this tank in person.

Lowes sells nice long extra strong black zip ties. They work great to put rock together! They are like 12" long, and can be put through the holes and trimmed to length.

Do you have any masonry bits? I have some I do not need that are like 1/4" and 3/4" The 1/4" was cheap, but the 3/4" is very high quality.

Let me know. Sounds like a really cool rock structure you have planned!

Depending when this goes down I may take you up on that blush.gif

I would really like to see this tank in person.

Lowes sells nice long extra strong black zip ties. They work great to put rock together! They are like 12" long, and can be put through the holes and trimmed to length.

Do you have any masonry bits? I have some I do not need that are like 1/4" and 3/4" The 1/4" was cheap, but the 3/4" is very high quality.

Let me know. Sounds like a really cool rock structure you have planned!

I can't wait to see the tank either. Maybe NAGA will chime in a few weeks and post some build pics! (hint hint). I do have some bits for the 3/4" rod that I'll be using, worked great on the last build.

I forgot to add the first 5 posters have to come help pick this back breaker up and put it on the steel stand ;)

i knew there was a catch. Happy to help. Just let me know when.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick Update. Closing on the house in a month from today and start to collect a few parts so far this is what I have on hand.

This is what I have so far...

Avast Marine ATO

Avast Marine CS1 Skimmer and Pump

NAGA Sump

ATI 6x39 T5

Dry Fiji Rock 30lbs

Eheim 1262 Return Pump

Neptune Controller AC JR w/ D8

Here's everything I still need to buy.

1.5" Schedule 40 Pipe 10'

1.5" Schedule 40 45 Slip/Slip x 6

1.5" Schedule 40 Elbow Slip/Slip x 8

1.5" Schedule 40 Ball Valve x 2

1.5" Schedule 40 Tee Slip/Slip/Slip x 3

1.5" to 3/4" Schedule 40 Reduce x 1

1.5" Schedule 40 Cap x 2

3/4" Schedule 40 Elbow Slip/Sip x 2

3/4" Schedule 40 45 Slip/Spigot x 1

3/4" Schedule 40 Pipe 5' x 1

1.5" Schedule 40 unions Slip/Sip x 4

PVC Primer

PVC Glue

3/4" Schedule 40 Ball Valve Union

3/4" Braided Nylon Tube 10'

Acrylic Rod & Star Board

16" 100 Micron Felt Filter Bag Draw String

1.5" Schedule 80 Bulkhead Slip/Slip x 2

Ratchet Clamp 3/4" Tube x 6

Sea Swirl 3/4"

Salt 200 gallons

Filter Sock Assembly w/ two bulk heads

Kalk Reactor

Algea Scrubber

Mag Float Acrylic Version

Filter Socks X 2

Neptune PH Probe

PH Calibration Fluid 10.0

PH Calibration Fluid 7.00

MagClip Mag Suction Cups X 3 (6 total)

Ground Probe

Aqua Stik Gray x 2

Sand Bed Crude 10lbs

Stunner Power Transformer

Stand Powder Coating

Live Rock 20lbs

Dry R0ck 40lbs

Power Strips x 2

• 1 month later...

It's here! Just got back to the house a few hours ago.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

Here's me! It's like Christmas!

photo.jpg

Here's everyone getting ready to break our backs...

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

I swear I measured. Only had to remove the railing and we had an 1/8th of an inch to play with.

photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg

Good thing I measured a few times. Tight fit!

photo7.jpg

I cant really tell from the pics, what makes up the black trim? Are the ends of the acrylic painted?

Great looking tank, For my next tank I think I'm definently going with a NAGA built tank.

I cant really tell from the pics, what makes up the black trim? Are the ends of the acrylic painted?

Great looking tank, For my next tank I think I'm definently going with a NAGA built tank.

The black trim is just black acrylic. The stuff is supy glossy and it scuffs very easy. I need to touch out a bunch of it with some 600+ sand paper.

More pics of the progress!

I had to cut the starboard in half to get it in the tank with the euro bracing.

photo8.jpg

photo9.jpg

Both parts in. I don't like the seem but it will eventually get covered with coraline. I started to silicone the starboard down but I ran out. More stuff to buy!

photo10.jpg

Also started the painting the edges and touching things up. I left the overflow open so I can see while I'm plumbing the tank. I think I'll also end up covering the entire right outside part of the tank with the same glossy black acrylic.

photo11.jpg

This light should be enough for the tank right? I think I could grow SPS with it. 60 total watts!

photo12.jpg

(edited)

I think 60W is a little much... You might wanna reconsider! lol! ;)

I can't wait to see this tank cycled and pimped up with corals...

Edited by Reefoholic

It looks nice, Steve! Can't wait to see it with some stuff in it!

Updates!

Got the tank on the stand today. Decided to move it around and I like the new placement. I'm hoping to get the plywood between the stand and the tank tomorrow along with plywood inside the bottom of the stand where the sump will sit. So much to do, so little time.

tankonstand.jpg

tankonstand2.jpg

It looks nice, Steve! Can't wait to see it with some stuff in it!

Me too! Thanks

Wow! Looks awesome.

What is starboard and why are you using it?

Laura

The starboard is cutting board. It's white, textured and durable. Just another way to go bare bottom on a tank with out having the bare glass.