What is your favorite non-reef, reef tool?

Chad

I know I have seen this topic (or one like it) many times, but there seems to be a lot of new reefers who could benefit from this topic, so I figured why not start again?

I have three

1) A turkey baster - useful for may things such as target feeding fish or corals and blowing stuff off your rock.

2) A wet/dry shop vac - it is pretty hard to get that last little bit of water out of a sump when cleaning it out.

3) A pair of nylons - useful for catching detritus when you are cleaning your sand bed but returning the water to your sump.

A dremel. Excellent for when you need precise cuts on a coral.

Can't live with out a turkey baster either.

Big clamps for holding a hose in place when doing a water change.

1) Dobie all-purpose cleaning pad - it allows me to remove build up from my acrylic panels quickly

2) A spring clamp with a section of drilled 1-inch PVC pipe zip tied to it - it allows me to quickly clamp a hose to a bucket or a sink's edge

3) A variety of syringes. I have a 60 ml one that's great to take water samples for testing. It also allows me to fill vials reasonably precisely and without much mess. With needles, you can target nuisance pests like aiptasia with kalk, lemon juice, or other stuff.

4) A plastic canning funnel - it's got a wide output side (2-inches) and is great for refilling my kalk stirrer, or adding carbon to my reactor.

tea kettle - used to hang from the ceiling when I was siphonig boiling water into the tank to zap hydroids. (self-proclaimed professional idjut, do not attempt this at home :wacko: )

MAP blow torch with trigger ignition - used to fry the hydroids off the rock outside the tank when the above hydroids grew back.

I'd add a set of tank tongs. They are instrumental for working in deep tanks and keep the fish from putting up with my armpit deodorant every time I lean into the tank.

MAP blow torch with trigger ignition - used to fry the hydroids off the rock outside the tank when the above hydroids grew back.

Do not try this with zoanthids or nuisance palythoas!

Turkey baster

Take out food containers

Portable gas powered generator

Mini wet/dry shop vac

Battery back ups

Crayola electric toothbrush made waterproof with gorilla tape. this thing works wonders on glass, rock, nuisance coral, algae, crabs, powerheads, etc. $6.99 at Target.

blow torches, crayola toothbrushes, boiling water, syringes...

If you didn't know better... :)

^lol, Chip. Hopefully she doesnt read here!

• 3 weeks later...

Binder Clips (to keep bag stationary against glass during acclimation process)

Shot glasses

+1 turkey baster

+1 zip ties