January Reef Central TOTM

copps

Hey guys, while I attend just about all of the meetings and have been a member of WAMAS almost since the beginnining, I have not participated much on the board here recently... funny what two children will do! Anyway, I wanted to share some photos and an article on one of my systems that is featured in Reefkeeping Magazine and Reef Central this month as Tank of the Month. Check it out!

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/76-tank-of-the-month

Copps

Too late man, you were already outed: http://www.wamas.org/forums/topic/41195-anyone-know-this-guy/

Congrats!

Heh... yeah, what's funny is that I have not visited Reef Central in a loooooooong time - maybe years. I was just dong some research on Ivermectin and treating pests and lo and behold... there is a name I know!

Allow me to reiterate:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks so much guys!

Great looking tank! How is the growth rate on the red dragon acro?

I'm still gauging this, but it will be nowhere near as slow as the purple monster and Oregon tort...

Heh... yeah, what's funny is that I have not visited Reef Central in a loooooooong time - maybe years. I was just dong some research on Ivermectin and treating pests and lo and behold... there is a name I know!

Allow me to reiterate:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks Mike for doing that! Say hello to Jen for me and I hope all is well!

Congrats! Great looking tanks.

Who take these photos of the tanks?

Thank you... I took all of the photos for my article...

Copps

Very nice! Congratulations on your efforts! clap.gif

Beautiful tanks and very clever setups. I was amazed you were able to keep a subtropical tank in the same water system!

Where would one find a small juvenile Regal Angel? Those are indeed great looking fish.

If you ever like to give a tour let us know, it would be nice to see the tanks in person. You should take some video sometime and post it biggrin.gif

Thanks again everyone!

Beautiful tanks and very clever setups. I was amazed you were able to keep a subtropical tank in the same water system!

Where would one find a small juvenile Regal Angel?

Juvie regals are very hard to find on the market for a few reasons...

1. Juvenile regal angelfish in the wild are VERY secretive... I've dived months in Guam and seen plenty regals as they are one of the most common angels... and never one juvie.

2. Of the juvie ones that are collected many go to Japan, where they pay a premium for smaller special fish like these...

3. When they do come on the market these require a very short supply chain... I've gotten mine from friends in Hawaii that import from the Marshall Islands... when that small they are a bit fragile and cannot go long without feeding... Here's one of my tiny girls when I got her...

regal_tiny_1.jpg

There's a nice vid here:

http://glassbox-design.com/2010/coppolino-copps-reef-angelfish-video/

I'm sorry I missed the angelfish talk he did at a prior meeting. Does anyone have a transcript?

Jon

No transcript Jon, but I'll be at the meeting next weekend if you want to pick my brain!

Copps,

I was wondering if you use Activated Carbon (GAC) in your system?

Nice reefs

I do use GAC, and forgot to include that tidbit in the article.

Copps

That Acropora tutielensis really has an incredible polyp density. That and it's growth pattern are reminiscent of A. palmata. Hmmm... I wonder how far the lineage separation is...

Genetics project!!

That Acropora tutielensis really has an incredible polyp density. That and it's growth pattern are reminiscent of A. palmata. Hmmm... I wonder how far the lineage separation is...

Genetics project!!

I know what you mean Mike... I love palmata! I just spoke in Nebraska and met up with Mitch at the Omaha zoo... man was I tempted to take some of his palmata... it blows away cervicornis... keep up the good work to help ensure the future of Atlantic Acropora... and if you want a frag for "science" let me know! :)