Bad House Fire

BigWyll

Good news is the aiptasia in my sump is gone. Bad news is so is everything else. Weds I had a bad house fire. Pretty much lost everything including my 55 gallon tank. When the fire dept. let me in the water in the tank was pretty hot so I figured all live stock was dead. It's been a week with no power and I'm not sure if the water is cloudy or there is just so much soot on the exterior of the tank that I cannot see inside of it.

Do you think anything in the tank is worth trying to salvage for the next tank or would it bee too poluted? (dead rock, sand, pumps, etc.)

Very sorry to hear this about your house and tank. the old rock might be ok after you let it out side for a long time to get sun and rain on it. when you ready

i can help you out on some frags down the road.

Sorry to hear of the losses. How did the fire start? I hope it wasn't tank related.

It's hard to say why the tank is cloudy. It could be soot (inside and outside) and it could be a bacterial bloom feeding on dying tissue. I suspect that it's soot. You must really be bummed and overwhelmed. I know that I would be. It's probably very hard to know where to start in situations like this. Good luck. Things will work out. Let us know what you find as things progress.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Is there anything we can do to help? Do you have clothes, food and other necessities?

Do you know if the fire department used chemicals to put out the fire? They may have gotten some the extiguishing chemicals in the tank. The chemicals found in fire extinguishers will make water cloudy. Until you get up close to see it you wont know if the cloudy is on the outside or inside or both.

Save your sand and rocks. You revive the sand and rocks. Rinse them.

Edited by Jan

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Is there anything we can do to help? Do you have clothes, food and other necessities?

We have been well taken care of by our insurance company and family members. Thank you for asking.

Sorry to hear of the losses. How did the fire start? I hope it wasn't tank related.

It wasn't tank related. The fire didn't even reach the room the tanks were in but the smoke sure did. Hopefully none of the chemicals the fire dept. may have used reached the tank.

Sorry to hear. I would assume most equipment would be OK once cleaned. I would powerwash the rock, and soak in fresh for a while, but it might still be worthe keeping. I would start with new sand. Good for a new buffer if anything.

I lost my house in 88 to a fire. Devastating, but you also see the best in friends and community (smoke/water damage also made my train collection look totally realistic!) . Please, please let us know when you are back up. I always have clowns I can donate plus anything else in my tank.

Do you know if the fire department used chemicals to put out the fire? They may have gotten some the extiguishing chemicals in the tank. The chemicals found in fire extinguishers will make water cloudy. Until you get up close to see it you wont know if the cloudy is on the outside or inside or both.

Save your sand and rocks. You revive the sand and rocks. Rinse them.

I doubt chemicals were used. Most FD's around here and PG county, use straight water.

I agree with Doug that washing and soaking the rocks would be fine. As mentioned let us know when you are back up and running. If Doug donates the clowns I will match that and donate one of my anemones.

I'm terribly sorry to hear about you loss, luckily you have the love and support of your community, especially WAMAS.

Stay strong, keep a head about you. You'll be surprised how everything plays out.

Do you have a place to stay in the meantime? Essential items ect? I'd be happy to lend a hand.

When you get settled enough to start the tank up again, let me know, I'd be happy to donate a few things to get it up and running!

A frag or two bring a smile to just about anyone!

Sorry to hear of your loss. When you are ready to start up again please let me know I am right down the road in District Heights.

--Craig

Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I wouldn't reuse the rock. I had a small tank fire that did tons of smoke damage around the house, but mainly only soot. The fire department didn't put anything out but I used a fire extinguisher. My concern for the rock is that soot can contain anything as it's just burned up particles of everything that caught fire. You could have anything that has soaked into your rock and sand. If copper can leach into a rock, then why can't all of these other things in the soot that contact the water? I still have the rock from our fire but haven't ever used it again as I'm too nervous about what it might have. I also flushed it with the RO/DI reject water for months and am still not comfortable about it. When I asked a few years back about whether people would use it, most if not all said no, they wouldn't.

By the way, I claimed my rock on my insurance and they paid for it at a reduced cost but said I had to submit a receipt to get back the depreciation.

Im very sorry for your loss, although I am glad to hear that your family and insurance is taking good care of you. This too shall pass.

Im sorry to about the fire. This thread proves one thing, That WAMAS has some great people in it. So many are offering to help. If there is any thing I can do to help let me know.

Glad to hear everyone is ok and hope things return to psudo normal asap.

on the rock why not do some testing and see whats in the water, try soaking/washing and then test them after the sit for a while, or set up a small tank and come grab a few small corals from me or anyone (xenia or kenya tree or something that grows like crazy) if that lives attempt a fish and go from there.

I understand the concern but would have a hard time throwing it out.

+1. My only concern would be copper. Would there be a way for copper to have gotten into your tank? If you're really concerned about it you can rinse it with chlorinated water for a day or two. either tap or 1:10 bleach:water then rinse well. Like put a hose in a bucket and let the water run a while. Set it out to dry. Once it's good and dry put it in a container or tank with salt water and let it cure. Slowly add some LS and watch it come to life.

Glad to hear everyone is ok and hope things return to psudo normal asap.

on the rock why not do some testing and see whats in the water, try soaking/washing and then test them after the sit for a while, or set up a small tank and come grab a few small corals from me or anyone (xenia or kenya tree or something that grows like crazy) if that lives attempt a fish and go from there.

I understand the concern but would have a hard time throwing it out.

Oh, one other piece of advice, find out who's a good assessor from the insurance company and who's a bad one. I had a bad one that fought me on every single item, even said that repainting nearly 1/4 should only cost $700 and I've got a pretty decent sized home. If you get a bad one, find a way to say that you can't work with the person before they begin the job. We found out the hard way when we were told to leave everything in the house and get out and they told us that we couldn't have money for shoes for our toddler despite the fact that it was winter.

HI! I can give you some mushrooms to try to see if they'll grow. I'm always good for chaeto as well. Send a p.m. when you're ready. May your recovery be not to slow and enjoy your time with family!

Sorry to hear about your loss. I am actually a large loss fire restoration contractor in NOVA.

What most people don't know is that there are several types of fires, and each of them has their own issues. If this was a wood fire then most of your items can be fine.

A petroleum based fire as in plastics and or electrical fire will do the most damage, and I would not try and salvage much if the items got covered in smoke.

The last type would be a protein fire as in burnt food, or from some type of kitchen fire with food involved. Typically these fires can be as bad as a petroleum due to the odor that is involved.

If you had either the petroleum or protein type fire I would toss anything plastic, and would for sure not use the live rock. You may be able to recover these items if you have a decent insurance policy.

Be careful with who you decide to sign a repair contract with, and If you need any help and or professional advice shoot me a PM.

Mark

Oh, one other piece of advice, find out who's a good assessor from the insurance company and who's a bad one. I had a bad one that fought me on every single item, even said that repainting nearly 1/4 should only cost $700 and I've got a pretty decent sized home. If you get a bad one, find a way to say that you can't work with the person before they begin the job. We found out the hard way when we were told to leave everything in the house and get out and they told us that we couldn't have money for shoes for our toddler despite the fact that it was winter.

Erie or Nationwide?