What would you like to see in the Newsletter?

Jan

Hi everyone,

give me some ideas of what you would like to read about/see in the newsletter. I can't promise that everything you ask for will be in the newsletter but if we have enough requests on a particular topic we will consider it.

Jan

i would say if its a monthly letter then include the TOMT, POTM, Thread OTM, reviews, new corals, new equipments that seem promesing, a DIY of the month, feature a store each month to give business to every store that participates.. etc.

- Meeting notes

from the last meeting

plans for the future meetings.

- Calendar with reef events

MACNA

local events like social's or tank tours.

- How about some club statistics like:

New Board Members

New Paid Members

Total Members

Total Posts for certain sections (or something similar that shows board statistics)

Edited by luceneck

So not to make this more complicated than necessary but before suggesting what we'd like to see in a NL, maybe it would help to better understand the purpose of the NL. In this Internet age, especially for a group that is so heavily centered around this forum, what is the goal of doing the NL? To put it a different way, should the NL lead the forum or lag it?

By lag, I mean, rehashing content that was initially on the forum. Examples include:

TOTM

POTM

Club statistics

These are all things that people can already see on the forum and do not offer unique content when provided in the newsletter. Now if the NL is mostly a marketing tool to be sent out to NON-BB members and left at stores, that's a perfectly fine thing! But if it's intended primarily for the membership than it may be less useful.

Conversely, by lead I would think examples could be:

Featured store

Conservation articles

Unique articles- maybe recap/photos of last meeting/event

other?

Again, just wondering what we want to do with the NL.

One thought that just occurred to me- if we do want to leave the NL at stores and feature a store every month, we run the risk of the NL not being "available" at non-featured stores... Sorry but I think that's a reality of business we need to remember.

Edited by DaveS

These are all things that people can already see on the forum and do not offer unique content when provided in the newsletter. Now if the NL is mostly a marketing tool to be sent out to NON-BB members and left at stores, that's a perfectly fine thing! But if it's intended primarily for the membership than it may be less useful.

One thought that just occurred to me- if we do want to leave the NL at stores and feature a store every month, we run the risk of the NL not being "available" at non-featured stores... Sorry but I think that's a reality of business we need to remember.

Excellent points! Figure out who is your intended audience then work from there. Personally, I think since it is created by us, it should be intended for us. But that in no ways means that it can't be used as a marketing tool. The random LFS customer might find our articles and information interesting which would lead them to the site.

You could always use eye catching article titles like:

Vodka Dosing, its no longer a Fraternity thing: Who's down with LED, yeah you know me: Is the window open, or did I go Barebottom: Water Changes, the thing to do when cable is out: I saw my neighbor's Wrasse the other day

Sorry, i'm feeling stupid tonight.

Vodka Dosing, its no longer a Fraternity thing: Who's down with LED, yeah you know me: Is the window open, or did I go Barebottom: Water Changes, the thing to do when cable is out: I saw my neighbor's Wrasse the other day

Love it! :lol2:

Is this an on line newsletter or will it be printed?

Printing and mailing is incredibly expensive. I like the idea of a newsletter, articles rather than discussion, but can't imagine there is a wide enough audience to consider printing.

Laura

The last time around it was emailed to members. When we asked Jan if she'd head this up, the idea was the same, but also with the hopes that we could put something out in print to put into stores in the area. That in and of itself may limit by its nature what we put in there, but Jan has free rein to figure out what she wants to do with this and where she wants it to go. One thing that we had before were articles educational articles that were really informative.

By the way, I'm sure Jan could use some volunteers for this committee! Hint hint! :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

Hi Folks,

We need you!

We're looking for more people to join us on the Newsletter committee.

Do you like to research?

Do you have a sense of humor?

Do you have good writing skills?

Are you the person that other hobbiest like to go to when they have questions about the hobby?

Are you artisitic?

Do you like to work in a team environment?

Do you like to tinker with machinery and equipment?

Do you have a background in physicis, chemistry or marine biology?

If you've answered yes to any of the above then we need you.

PM me. Thank you.

Janice

Edited by Jan

The deadline is before June 20th. Quarterly unless we can accumulate resources and material or until things get a lot easier.

Is there a time set on when the first issue will be coming out? Any idea on the frequency of issue?

• 2 weeks later...

for a newsletter i'm thinking the info has to be informative yet short and sweet and to the point, like a summary when its a good time to use a calcium reactor vs 2 part dosing. or hints and tips brought to you by lfs or by so and so members. i think a pic of the month and tank of the month will help draw people in to it also. or a recap of whats going on in the school tanks to show involvement int the community. a link to the thread of the quarter....

just some ideas

Hi everyone,

give me some ideas of what you would like to read about/see in the newsletter.

I would like to see the last guest speaker demonstrating how to clean a tank with a Supermodel assistant. :blush:

Ok, that may not work. :sad:

How about, "State of the art Reverse UG Filters. the wave of the future?"

Edited by paul b

I think some people may be missing an important point. Some people seem to want to see an article about their favorite topic. This is perfectly fine and good!

If that is you, I think they you should consider writing that article! It doesn't make sense for Jan or anyone else to do the research and come up to speed if you are already an "expert" in that topic. Please consider contributing your knowledge towards the WAMAS newsletter!

I know that some day I plan to write an article for the NL. It'll be about something I'm knowledgeable in. As soon as I figure out what that is, I'll suggest the topic. :tongue:

Edited by DaveS

point - counterpoint

format could be side by side lists with one reefkeeper writing each

DSB or no DSB

MH or T5

skim or no skimmer

refugium or mech only

Dose or WC

UV or not

no bioballs or no bioballs

I volunteer for MH as I can show off some recent color morphs that are amazing

Edited by bluefunelement

THIS IS FOR THE WAMAS NEWSLETTER

Does anyone have an old copy of Microsoft Office XP with Microsoft Publisher?

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I've not been on here in a while but thought you should know that the newsletter is more than 3/4 complete. I've been super caught up with life and just could not find the time to finalize it. Chad has now taken the lead. I've made sure to give him a copy of the program I used to create the NL with as well as all files of photos and other information I used as content for the NL. Thanks for taking the lead Chad! Please submitt all your suggestions & queries to him from now on. It was a lot of work and something I really enjoyed. It was fun. If allowed I hope to be able to contribute in the future. Hope you like it.

Jan

Let me echo Dave's sentiment, Jan. Thank you for working as hard as you (and the whole NL Committee) have to get it this far. Good luck with whatever's taking your attention these days. I hope that things settle and that we see you returning soon!