How do you know when you're obsessed with the hobby?

treesprite

Called my car my tank the other day, which made me think about how obsessed I am, so I thought this would make an interesting post.

When you have to decide if you should buy that engagement ring or get a bigger tank.

When you have to add structural bracing to your house to support the load of your new tank.

When the whole family travels to the other side of the world to experience a new culture and all you want to do is check out the LFS or clownfish breeder.

When in the divorce court she gets the whole house but you don't care, because you got the fish tank.

When you can no longer park in your two car garage because it is now a sump room for your new greenhouse coral propagation system.

I think you all know who I'm talking about.

Edited by Coral Hind

You quit a perfectly good job making good $, start your own aquarium biz and hope you can start paying yourself in "about a year."

-edit- that was 3 years ago, it's all good now.

Edited by Grav

These are funny :clap::clap::clap:

Except for poor Troy.... but I think you told me you're still together, so I hope she doesn't see your post!

I worked from 8pm until 1:30 this morning just so I could have time off work Saturday to be able to go to the meeting!

when you have to tell the fish to hide before the wife sees them and starts asking how much was that...

when sometimes your bills are paid late because you just had to have that one coral no one has.

Guest Fishfriend1

You know your obsessed when you call your cat a clownfish or name a dog "Salty".

You know your obsessed when you call your cat a clownfish or name a dog "Salty".

Sometimes I say that my female tomato clown is the clownfish version of Sparkles (one of my cats).

When you arrive home from the LFS you hide that new coral under your jacket and go directly to the sump before the significant other catches you.

Once at Roozens I bought a $200 item. Before leaving the cash register I took their sharpie and added a zero and a decimal to the plastic bag to make it $20.00 so I wouldn't be in the dog house when I got home.

I'm not ashamed at how much I enjoy this hobby.

I've learned a bunch about all kinds of different things besides aquariums.

I do a lot for the club because I want to help make it better.

I've made a bunch of nice friends, and even one who is not as nice and not a friend.

I do a bunch to help new hobbyists get involved in setting up their tanks.

If that's obsessed, so be it.

Guest Fishfriend1

When you end up in the hospital with collapsed lungs due to ingesting a coral toxin, and the first thing you want to do when you get home is play with the tank some more.

wow

I'm not ashamed at how much I enjoy this hobby.

I've learned a bunch about all kinds of different things besides aquariums.

I do a lot for the club because I want to help make it better.

I've made a bunch of nice friends, and even one who is not as nice and not a friend.

I do a bunch to help new hobbyists get involved in setting up their tanks.

If that's obsessed, so be it.

plus you have an awesome wife who is understanding.

my thing is when you talk to your non-reefer friends and they reply "you spend how much on some fish?"

another obsession would be not throwing away anything because i can scavenge it for use on something different down the road, and placed in 50k bins throughout the garage.

when you try to cover up the electric bill with statement like the pool and hot tub are expensive and the kids leave all the lights on in the house and 3 tv's and the frige and the meat frezzer in the guarge are cositng us allot of money.another addiction Back in the day was when I got addicted to windsurfing my gear was 3 times worth my car!

When you come home from work and walk past your wife on the way to the tank not saying a word to her :laugh: . When your wife say she has to put on a mermaid suit to get attention. :blush:

when setting up a 500 gallon system in a rented 5th floor 1 bedroom condo doesn't sound like a bad idea at all...