Power Outages

discretekarma

When I look at Pepco's power outage map it looks like there are a lot of areas losing power already. During the major snow we had in December, the same map showed almost no outages. Mines still good in Colesville/Silver Spring.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I look at Pepco's power outage map it looks like there are a lot of areas losing power already. During the major snow we had in December, the same map showed almost no outages. Mines still good in Colesville/Silver Spring.

My son called a little bit ok to tell me ours was out, so I've got to get myself home. Right now in Kensington electricity is still on, but over by Plyers Mill & Georgia Ave a couple hours ago, it was flickering.

I had two brief dips earlier. Slight breeze picked up, knocking some of the snow off the trees - hopefully it will STAY off.

bob

Our electricity came back on already. I'm always thinking that the fast response we always have, has to do with living next to a mall, but I just realized that it probably has more to do with the fact that the fire station is a block away.

Power flickered a bit here in Falls Church/Lake Barcroft. Heaters and power heads plugged into battery backups and new gas powered generator full and ready to go if need be.

Just back after being down for 6 hours in Alexandria. Tank house got down to 60 and the tank got down to 74. Should be no problem but my setup really took a beating with all of the power cycling. Glad I had the Vortech back-up. I am getting a generator next week for sure. Something that will run a return, a heater, and maybe power my gas furnace.

Long sleepless night.

Power still good in my part of Ashburn. 23-1/2 inches of snow on the ground thus far. My line of Leyland Cypress are bent way over. Some have their tops (normally about 25' up) bent to the ground. As many of 3 of them look to have been uprooted from the weight of the snow turning them over. I've been for an hour this morning trying to clear snow off of the trees. But, the good news is that the power's still on and all systems are still running.

And... believe it or not, someone is plowing our streets!

Power in Arlington (Fairlington) was off and on all night, and now has been off since a little after 6am. Airstones on in all of the tanks and the boat battery/inverter is running the return and heater for the big tank, but I may need to carry it around and run all of the heaters for a little bit if the power doesn't return soon. Note to self - more automatic airstones and a second battery/inverter combo for next time. :wacko:

I still have power this morning. Not sure why - the trees are HEAVY with snow. ANd it's still coming down hard.

Quite the snowstorm - haven't gone out to measure yet.

bob

I woke up a little while ago to no power. The house temp dropped to 57 but the tank temp hadn't dropped much at all. I got the generator running now with the transfer switch. First time using it.

Power was off for about 5 hours last night. After digging it out, the old generator didn't start, so it was blankets and hot water in tuppperware for 4 tanks. Back on now with no losses, and I can eat breakfast and watch the wife shovel while we wait for the plows.

To reduce the load on my generator (and increase the ammount of time my gas will last) I unplugged everything for my tank accept my Eheim 1262 return pump and heater. No skimmer, no CaRx, no lights, no closed loop.

Is this ok?