Power Outages

discretekarma

We lost power here for about 5 hours yesterday afternoon. First power outage I've ever dealt with since I've had my reef tank to make me nervous. Tank is in my basement, which runs much cooler than the rest of the house already. Blanketed it up within the first hour and temp only dropped 1.5-2 degrees, so I'm grateful it was so insignificant. I need to go buy a battery powered air pump, and/or a generator, cuz I was worried like crazy all yesterday afternoon.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We lost power late on Friday night and still don't have power here in Silver Spring/Colesville. Lucky I have the generator. I went and got gas yesterday. I'll go again before the Super Bowl. The only difference for me is the dishwasher isn't on the transfer switch. Otherwise, there's no difference. Also, a tree branch fell on my roof. I don't think there's any damage. Tank is fine.

Around 6am on Saturday I lost power and it did not come back on until around 3pm. I put a battery operated air pump on duty and covered the tank with blankets. I knew that that alone would probably not to it so I dug out the car and moved it up into the drive where I used a power inverter running off the car and powered my Tunze 6055 and a 50 watt heater (I just let the car run as not to drain my battery). The heater was not big but I figured anything would help. Temp on the tank went down to about 74 degrees and so far no losses.

On the other side of a creek from my house are houses where Tom (Origami2547) lives a couple of streets over and I could see they had power. Lucky him. First time my power has gone out for that long since living in Ashburn since 1993. Previous time may have been an hour.

Wow. No wonder. I'm in Colesville.

HIGHEST BY STATE (NWS SPOTTERS):

Colesville, MD: 40.0"

Lehew, WV: 34.0"

Howellsville, VA: 32.0"

Upper Strasburg, PA: 31.0"

National Park, NJ: 28.5"

American University, DC: 27.5"

Wilmington, DE: 26.5"

Washington, DC: 20.0"

Coumbiana, OH: 17.0"

Blowing Rock, NC: 13.2"

Great Kills, NY: 6.4"

Alexandria, IN: 6.0"

According to the National Weather Service, in the Baltimore, MD region, snowfall totals exceeded 30 inches (76 cm) in many areas. Localized reports include 38.3 inches (97 cm) in Elkridge, MD, 30.2 inches (77 cm) in Ellicott City, MD, 32.9 inches (84 cm) in Laurel, MD, 33.8 inches (86 cm) in Columbia, MD, 31.5 inches (80 cm) in Clarksville, MD, 28.0 inches (71 cm) in Baltimore City, in excess of 26.5 inches (67 cm) at Baltimore-Washington International Airport, 30.5 inches (77 cm) in Dundalk, MD, 29.0 inches (74 cm) in Catonsville, MD, 34.0 inches (86 cm) in Crofton, MD, 29.0 inches (74 cm) in Frederick, MD, 36.0 inches (91 cm) in Frostburg, MD. Rockville, MD 24.5 inches (62 cm), Colesville, MD 40.0 inches (102 cm), Gaithersburg, MD 22.0 inches (56 cm), Olney, MD 28.0 inches (71 cm), Dulles International Airport 32.9 inches (84 cm), and Germantown, MD 27.4 inches (70 cm) of snow.

The battery is juiced up just in case, but no more blips in the power. Looks like my area of Arlington got about 24". Took 2 1/2 hours to dig out the car, and now I get to dig out the darn HOUSE - if I leave the snow up against the sides of the house my basement will flood when it melts. :wacko: Maybe after a coffee or two with Bailey's in it.....