Winter storm

ctenophore

We ended up with 18" in Ashburn out in the open fields. Deeper up next to the house where it's drifted and fallen off of the house, of course. It's packed and heavy at the bottom, but nice and light on top. Shoveling it off in layers works well and moves quickly.

Our new neighbor, from a warm weather climate, was running low on milk. He shoveled his driveway to allow his wife to run to to the grocery to get a gallon. I think half of her mini-van made it off of the driveway skirt before the van bottomed out and stopped cold. My wife and I helped dig her out, and passed on an extra gallon we had in the fridge. We haven't got a clue if our secondary roads have been plowed....

But, we have heat and we have electricity. The fish are happy and life is good. Loudoun has called school for Monday and Tuesday, so kids and teachers don't go back until after New Years. This makes my wife and youngest daughter very happy. My older daughter, a teenager, is going stir crazy by contrast.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We lost power for a day and a half. I had my generator ready but not setup for running the house. To make a long story short I lost my flame angel which I have had for years but my kole who didn't look to happy appears better and my corals seem fine. This morning I rigged the generator to run just my 20 amp circuit on my tank and that saved the tank I believe. I am tired so good night everyone. Overall I learned what I need to do to be better prepared for next time. The power came back around 9:20 PM tonight.

I started wondering yesterday if the reason we never have prolonged outages here, is that we're next to a large shopping mall.

• 1 month later...

Bringing this thread back to life because we are supposed to get even more snow than last time this weekend. Models calling for 15-25"...get your preparations done tomorrow!

Bringing this thread back to life because we are supposed to get even more snow than last time this weekend. Models calling for 15-25"...get your preparations done tomorrow!

We had 26" down here on Dec. 19th. Right now they are saying 20 to 28". I have to work in this crap plowing snow. 12 hour shifts and mine is at night.

I have to teach this weekend regardless, and am not looking forward to getting to the shop! If the pools are closed we'll still do classroom. I can just see me at 6:30 Saturday morning digging out the car so I can be at the shop by 8:00. :blink:

I just fired up my generator today, and picked up some more gas for it.

Just in-case....

Make sure you add fuel saver so the gas doesn't go bad by the next storm. Because you realize by testing your generator you just made sure the power will stay on :)

I tested mine, too - and put the gas cans in the truck to fill tomorrow. Love my electric-start generator!! :wub:

bob

I bought a pull start just to save a few bucks on something that would probably never work! lol

My lawnmower worked the day we brought it home, that was about it. When Nikki was a puppy she chewed the cords :)

My son just called me at work to tell me the electricity just went out, basically because he was worried that there would be a tank flood... fear left over from hang-on overflow box days!

My inverter is buried under a ton of junk in my car trunk :( digging it out of there while snow gets everything wet is going to be a big bummer. I always figured outages are good times to do water changes.

We have not had an outage here that was longer than an hour for a few years. PEPCO responds really fast here, I think because there is a major shopping mall across the street, but I doubt it will be within an hour tonight though!

If this new gas stove comes on during electric outages like the old gas one did, I'll be busy cooking and baking all night to keep the apartment warm.

I'm a manager for Target and judging by the past few days, you'd think the world was going to end. People buying 4 bottles of laundry soap (are you really going to do 400 loads this weekend?), and every bit of food, candles, flashlights, board games, and TV's (super bowl) that they could get their hands on. It was about as busy as black friday this morning. I opened the doors at 8 and there were about 100 people waiting to pour in. It stayed just as busy all day long.

I had to drive home from Kensington after my last post (see above), over 495 and 270 - very VERY dangerous to be on the roads. Most cars were doing about 25mph, but there are some real crazy people out there. I saw a car that had spun out and hit a jersey wall near the Rockledge Dr. exit, so the rest of the way home I stayed far away from the side of the road, in case my car decided to spin out like that. Then I got home and the first thing, my son wanted me to take him to the store - he is out there walking 'cuase there's no way I'm going back on the road.

Here's a thought....

I have some of those hand crank powered flashlights and radio - one of ya all should find a way to make some hand crank powered powerheads for use during outages.