grammar/spelling

Kengar

"to" is used to indicate the infinitive form of a verb (e.g., "to look," "to sew," "to run")

"too" means "also" (I love reefing, too) or as a modifier to indicate an amount (I've spent too much money on reefing)

"two" is a number; it follows 1 (spelled "one," not "won;" the latter (not ladder) means you were victorious)

"there" can be used to indicate location (my reef tank is over there), or to indicate future tense (there will be H-E-double hocky sticks to pay when my wife finds out how much that fish cost)

"their" indicates ownership by multiple people (their reef tank cost more than their car)

"they're" is a contraction of "they are"

"prolly" is not a word; the word is "probably"

one doesn't try AND do something; one tries TO do something

"myself" is way, way, way overused, in incorrect fashion. It does not mean "me" or "I"

"like" does not mean "I thought to myself" or "I said" (as in "I'm, like, no way!"); nor does "go" mean "I said" (As in "I go 'what are you up to tonight?'" so she goes "nothing, what are you up to tonight")

"I" is not necessarily the form of the word that follows "and" when referring to yourself with someone else (as in Sue is going to the reef store with Bill and I"). If you imagine that just you are the subject (i.e., your partner is not doing it with you, e.g., Bill is not going, then that dictates how the sentence should sound (Sue is going to the reef store with ME ==> Sue is going to the reef store with Bill AND ME. But Bill and I are going to the reef store is proper, not Bill and ME are going to the reef store.

Your is possessive, indicating that you own something (YOUR reef tank)

You're is a contraction meaning "you are" (you're going to get in trouble when your wife finds out how much that fish cost)

Okay, now that i've had my snit, back to work

Edited by Kengar

You have way too much time at work! :biggrin:

Go home and have a beer!

interestingly enough, you hit on the two top reasons I stop reading someone's post! misuse of your and you're and there, their and they're. it just becomes too much work to figure out what was meant.

Edited by Brian Ward

interestingly enough, you hit on the two top reasons I stop reading someone's post! misuse of your and you're and there, their and they're. it just becomes too much work to figure out what was meant.

Your so mean to stop reading they're post over their in DC.

Your so mean to stop reading they're post over their in DC.

Most of the time your/you're they're/their/there errors are not intended, but instead are a function of typing on a reef dork message board and not a thesis paper.

Edited by WallyBackm

haha

Most of the time your/you're they're/their/there errors are not intended, but instead are a function of typing on a reef dork message board and not a thesis paper.

nice.

You have way too much time at work! :biggrin:

Go home and have a beer!

And after you've had too many beers...it won't matter whether it's two, too or to, unless it's a tutu and you're wearing it backwards...! :drink:

"there" can be used to indicate location (my reef tank is over there), or to indicate future tense (there will be H-E-double hocky sticks to pay when my wife finds out how much that fish cost)

It is "Hockey" not "Hocky". Also, the "I" is capitalized and not written as "i've".

Periods help after sentences too.

It is Friday! You should be in relaxing mode. :cheers:

"to" is used to indicate the infinitive form of a verb (e.g., "to look," "to sew," "to run")

"too" means "also" (I love reefing, too) or as a modifier to indicate an amount (I've spent too much money on reefing)

"two" is a number; it follows 1 (spelled "one," not "won;" the latter (not ladder) means you were victorious)

"their" indicates ownership by multiple people (their reef tank cost more than their car)

"they're" is a contraction of "they are"

"prolly" is not a word; the word is "probably"

one doesn't try AND do something; one tries TO do something

"myself" is way, way, way overused, in incorrect fashion. It does not mean "me" or "I"

"like" does not mean "I thought to myself" or "I said" (as in "I'm, like, no way!"); nor does "go" mean "I said" (As in "I go 'what are you up to tonight?'" so she goes "nothing, what are you up to tonight")

"I" is not necessarily the form of the word that follows "and" when referring to yourself with someone else (as in Sue is going to the reef store with Bill and I"). If you imagine that just you are the subject (i.e., your partner is not doing it with you, e.g., Bill is not going, then that dictates how the sentence should sound (Sue is going to the reef store with ME ==> Sue is going to the reef store with Bill AND ME. But Bill and I are going to the reef store is proper, not Bill and ME are going to the reef store.

Your is possessive, indicating that you own something (YOUR reef tank)

You're is a contraction meaning "you are" (you're going to get in trouble when your wife finds out how much that fish cost)

When are you going to come to pick up the coral you bought at auction?

Wow, I think we need to have these formal insights implamented to the word filter list. You know just in case anybody "miss" uses the word "to", "too" or "two". LOL :drink:

When are you going to come to pick up the coral you bought at auction?

\

let's shoot for next week. been slammed at work last three weeks; hence the grouchiness reflected in this rant post. going to macna tomorrow morning through sunday night

It is "Hockey" not "Hocky". Also, the "I" is capitalized and not written as "i've".

don't blame me. the system automatically puts that in whenever you refer to anti-heaven.

Edited by Kengar

don't blame me. the system automatically puts that in whenever you refer to anti-heaven.

Why so it does! Now fixed, thanks for pointing it out! And all this time I've been wondering why no one can spell hockey!

Wow, I think we need to have these formal insights implamented to the word filter list. You know just in case anybody "miss" uses the word "to", "too" or "two". LOL :drink:

The word is "implemented". With all this discussion about grammar, you'd think that someone might be tempted to use spellcheck before he/she posts.

Edited by zygote2k

The word is "implemented". With all this discussion about grammar, you'd think that someone might be tempted to use spellcheck before he/she posts.

pfft! we are americans we changed the language to suite our needs...just ask daniel webster.

LOL. Everybody has at least one peeve. I think we've discovered yours, Kengar. I hope the rant was therapeutic!

Maybe it's just one of those things. I remember getting corrected in an online class because I used the worng context of the word "there". In the end were all human but then I was also :drink: during the online class. So the beer was doing all the typing. LOL

\

let's shoot for next week. been slammed at work last three weeks; hence the grouchiness reflected in this rant post. going to macna tomorrow morning through sunday night

I am no English major, but shouldn't a new sentence start with a capital letter?

I'm with him.

or

i'm with him.

Can someone please tell me which one is right? I'm confused now :why:

Does it really matter?

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. :wig:

Edited by Coral Hind

It is "I'm" since you would not write "i am" but instead "I am".

But does it really matter?

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. :wig:

lol