monkiboy's 450g display + 250g fish room

?

love seeing the foundation that the final tank sits on! So much work till now!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

folks seem interested in construction photos so I grabbed a few and am just going to post them without any explanation or timeline just for fun and to remember how much work it took us to get to where I have a tank in the wall now.

H4yu2QJ.jpg
rjLJZwv.jpg
DlPehRK.jpg
T424BMB.jpg
7xbNOzP.jpg
fJF6urI.jpg
M9LxbAE.jpg
KiAzJvD.jpg
tezym6M.jpg
mqEtNwD.jpg
r52vYhZ.jpg
yoniHag.jpg
Zuxa9Mb.jpg
for0JhY.jpg
zJMY9rF.jpg
cnoNUzF.jpg
JggDJNR.jpg
KiZIeYz.jpg

11 hours ago, WheresTheReef said:

Wow. Thats some serious remodeling.

yes! we had our hands full. took me and my dad and good friends about 1.5 years and still not really done, nor completely furnished. we expanded to back and up a level. just glad we got most of it done before lumber prices are what they are and severe shortages.

16 minutes ago, lynn.reef.nerd said:

wow .... really awesome to see all the pictures of the progress. 

All the cool folks are in NOVA .... I want to be an honorary member ... :mellow:

I guess I’m not cool, then! I’m in Silver Spring, MD! :) 

There are far fewer of us in MD for sure. 

1 minute ago, monkiboy said:

I guess I’m not cool, then! I’m in Silver Spring, MD! :) 

There are far fewer of us in MD for sure. 

WHAT?!?!?! why do I keep thinking you are in VA :facepalm1:

We can both be honorary cool kids? :laugh:

Awesome!!!

Go big or go home!!

I love the fact that you were able to build the house abound the tank.

The skylights with the recessed lighting and the LED tracking around the perimeter is visionary. 

Wow, that's some serious remodel. Did you have any zoning issues bulking up density? Looks like a tear down but not. Congrats on seeing the process through, looks great!

3 hours ago, menglish said:

Awesome!!!

Go big or go home!!

I love the fact that you were able to build the house abound the tank.

I wish that were true! the tank I knew had to be a grand entrance sight and I wanted it at least eight feet. I wanted a 10 or 12' long tank by 4' deep but we just couldn't make it work and keep things looking balanced in the home and the space. I am happy were we arrived but always a little bug in my ear saying, "we could have squeezed another 12" on the back of this tank" haha. 

3 hours ago, YHSublime said:

The skylights with the recessed lighting and the LED tracking around the perimeter is visionary. 

That took me a long while, actually. the length and controllers and programming of it were new and problematic given access with scaffolding. I only had one night to do it and was up to about 4am with fam making it happen. we all rallied together in exhaustion that night. good memories and fantastic result. really fun on holidays and just for ambiance. 

2 hours ago, howaboutme said:

Wow, that's some serious remodel. Did you have any zoning issues bulking up density? Looks like a tear down but not. Congrats on seeing the process through, looks great!

thanks jack. my dad owns a design and build firm for over 40 years now so we know the right people at county by now to get things done and moving when, yes, various issues or folks being overzealous or applying old code would come by. we just cleared away from a total reno leveraging a few conversations and details in the design. thank you. still a few things to get done and walls to paint but yes, most of the project is nice to enjoy now with the growing family.

4 hours ago, monkiboy said:

thanks jack. my dad owns a design and build firm for over 40 years now so we know the right people at county by now to get things done and moving when, yes, various issues or folks being overzealous or applying old code would come by. we just cleared away from a total reno leveraging a few conversations and details in the design. thank you. still a few things to get done and walls to paint but yes, most of the project is nice to enjoy now with the growing family.

That's right! I do remember you have a DB company. Can't wait to see how you enclosed the new addition w/ the existing brick walls. Did you go brick or a completely different material? Always tricky, especially adding on a 2nd floor. Following closely!

21 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

That's right! I do remember you have a DB company. Can't wait to see how you enclosed the new addition w/ the existing brick walls. Did you go brick or a completely different material? Always tricky, especially adding on a 2nd floor. Following closely!

Don’t know if anyone else would care so I texted some photos to you. Thanks my friend.

Wow Marcos! This looks amazing.  Can wait to see the finished product!

On 4/4/2022 at 10:11 PM, RW09903 said:

Wow Marcos! This looks amazing.  Can wait to see the finished product!

Thank you, sir. Hope to see your new build on here soon! Will you be sharing on WAMAS?

11 hours ago, Apcoleman said:

This is epic and cant wait to see the end result. 

Hey Tony! I’m more excited about the process than end result, but it will all be fun and trying I am sure.

On 4/9/2022 at 8:33 AM, monkiboy said:

Thank you, sir. Hope to see your new build on here soon! Will you be sharing on WAMAS?

Ask and you shall receive ?

time to aquascape.

i used brs gel and instaset which worked amazingly well for some incredible overhangs.

then i used epoxy to solidify joints on extreme angles and foundation rock pieces together

had my 4-year old helping on this one break rocks apart.

used a PVC frame for idea of size and placement in tank

2CeQaSQ.jpg
iB9xb32.jpg
4ZQSrw9.jpg
iB2Wj8m.jpg