monkiboy's 450g display + 250g fish room

just a spot to share ideas, get feedback, and journal the latest build. 

backstory. 

tank is glass cages 8x3x2.5' - spoke to new ownership at length and was happy to hear and experience a much different tone and level of service from them that really instilled confidence. tank viewable from one short and one long side

sump is adaptive reef, 72x24x20"

sump is custom made to fit MRC infiniti filter roll at intake

skimmer is SRO-8000EXT

lights are ecotech blue g5s xr30s and reef brite XHOs

water storage includes 2-200g vertical tanks

powerheads include maxspect gyres and ecotech mobius mp60ws

small fishroom in basement directly under tank measures 15 x 10'

return pumps are 2 abyzz a400

rock is all marco rock (foundation, small, large, shelf) aquascaped using epoxy and brs gel glue and insta-set

stand custom made with LVLs and lumber, in-wall

UV is a commercial unit - pentair COM6520 and takes 8-65w bulbs, allows me to run all return flow at excellent turn over rate (6x) to knock algae away while still getting 180,000 µWs/cm² to nuke parasites

will post photos and more as time allows. family of six now and time for this is scarce but want to journal progress and if it can help someone else, want to be able to at least offer that bit of value through here.

thank you again for any input, feedback, and following along!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)
19 minutes ago, JJKK said:

Sounds awesome Marcos.  Look like you decided to get the Abyzz to push the water up to the next floor.

Yes sir. Thank you for your feedback on the red dragon. I might yet have to get the a1200 from abyzz in order to get the flow I want through the UV, 3500gph, and into the returns at tank. We will see once I get everything plumbed and water moving.

Edited by monkiboy

44 minutes ago, DaJMasta said:

Sounds like a well thought out, big system.  How far is it along?  I assume already wet given the rock description, but have you added any livestock?

I am currently cycling. No livestock, yet. 

Kensington?! so nice to meet another local!

1 hour ago, monkiboy said:

Yes you are! Thanks for the help already my friend.

That was an obnoxious thing that I did, but I wasn't sure how I could express my overjoyed emotions other than to exclaim loudly. 

This is going to be a masterpiece. I'm looking forward to watching you curate the ultimate reef experience. 

3 hours ago, YHSublime said:

That was an obnoxious thing that I did, but I wasn't sure how I could express my overjoyed emotions other than to exclaim loudly. 

This is going to be a masterpiece. I'm looking forward to watching you curate the ultimate reef experience. 

I hope it lives to your expectations ;)

2 hours ago, WheresTheReef said:

Nice! Looking forward to seeing this build.

eric! man, nice to have you along. i'm feeling good about having started a build thread to rekindle some conversations and reefer relationships!

58 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

What ever happened to your 256 from back in the day?

i will talk about that shortly in another post but this tank is in a new home and the 265g was in the old home and sold during the move to a wamas member who is doing some awesome things with it last i got an update.

16 hours ago, roni said:

Looking forward to seeing the build progress!  Any thoughts yet on what you're going to keep or focus on?

lots of fish. the fish list has started. will start with the necessary utility fish, then work according to bioload/hierarchy/aggression. 

lots of dream fish and pairs will be in this tank. quite a lot of challenges ahead in that regard.

lots/mostly acropora and a dabble of LPS, torches, cynarina, scoly, etc. 

23 minutes ago, flooddc said:

Family of six! busy little bee :biggrin:.

Great to see you're back reefing bro. Looking forward to your build!

Thanks my friend. We will have to catch up soon, Chuck! Would love to get a koi pond up and running in all the free time and could use pointers!

28 minutes ago, monkiboy said:

Thanks my friend. We will have to catch up soon, Chuck! Would love to get a koi pond up and running in all the free time and could use pointers!

Sure Bro

a bit of backstory and photos. my father and I started building and working on one of my rental homes as a place for our growing family (back when it was just two kids!). here are some photos of the fish area and addition where the fish tank will go. 

the room in the corner where the floor is six inches lower is the fish room. at least it was until it got expanded about six feet each way but it's still too small but was restricted in what we could do so I took what I could.

some very preliminary sketches and plans showing fish tank and fish room on separate levels.

j93QGNM.jpg

OZARM0z.jpg

GY9MRmz.jpg

sASSr5S.jpg

Dykbn7M.jpg