monkiboy's 450g display + 250g fish room

built a small catwalk behind tank to make standing and working in tank much easier. this is not complete and will need some redgard and maybe a piano hinge although I don't see needing access much at this moment

RzE9TDf.jpg
aO7cXKz.jpg

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, howaboutme said:

Skimmer needing its own palette is next level! Looking forward to the final aquascape.

This, big flex ? 

(edited)

custom modular marine overflow. took two iterations but got it right finally.

one thing to note is that they cannot work with sch80 bulkheads like i REALLY wish they could/would for the internal to external box.

nonetheless, we will make it work.

internal weir box was increased to 30"

internal weir uses slots instead of teeth for optimal skimming efficiency and flow through as I will be pushing at least 3500gph

height of external box increased to 16" (24x8x16)

Edited by monkiboy

(edited)

some aquascaping work in the freezing cold car port before getting to move the entire operation inside.

Edited by monkiboy

the reef filtration room is under the tank in the basement. directly below. it was used for storage for over a year and this is the mess it was prior to clearing it out for fishy business.

fish room in progress...

we dug about six inches below basement flooring and added a floor drain in the process as well.

the six inches the room sits in will allow any water leaks or large amount to absolutely stay in the room before trying to make it's way out under the walls.

the room can hold about 300g in the floor's six inches as a back up to a back up in case floor drain were clogged for some reason and catastrophic failure of tank (450g) above it.

filtration room is a bit small but I am going to have to make it work. 7' x 11'

made sure to get a 36" door to allow plenty of clearance for future frag tanks and water storage containers without trouble. basement has a 5' double door entry ten steps away.

there is a window in there and obviously then on an exterior wall for any other venting when window will not remain open (extreme temps months)

vapor barrier has begun in this photo and other walls as well once plumbing completes.

durock on wall shared with furnace room.

EWnipnx.jpg

have a bunch of the other ubiquiti stuff so figured in order to keep the kids safe and keep the fish/reef safe from the kids, more like it, i will need a lock on the door. might as well have some fun with it. 

currently in video set to a pin but will likely be using the NFC card for quicker access until they allow for a shorter pin code.

pretty neat entry and small project with 12v magnetic strike lock and high enough my kids can't reach

On 4/19/2022 at 6:57 PM, howaboutme said:

Skimmer needing its own palette is next level! Looking forward to the final aquascape.

I'll be sure to do an unboxing video! 

just posted some aquascape video and photos...still not done, done.

On 4/19/2022 at 7:00 PM, WheresTheReef said:

+1 to seeing the scape come together. You have a great helper. Best of all, payments can be made in cookies :).

this is all true, haha!

5 hours ago, DaJMasta said:

That is a heck of a skimmer and return pump!

I'm hoping so. 

I'm especially excited about the abyzz a400 pumps!

REALLY hoping I don't have to chuck out for an a1200 to get the flow I want/need upstairs.

On 4/19/2022 at 7:14 PM, flooddc said:

Looking good :wub:

thank you sir!

On 4/19/2022 at 8:00 PM, roni said:

I will also work for cookies...Looking forward to seeing the scape and your progress!

thank you for following along!

On 4/19/2022 at 8:43 PM, YHSublime said:

This, big flex ? 

to be fair, it's a smaller than normal pallet I think! i'll do an unboxing video for all to enjoy!

This is so great that you're setting up a big one and not sparing any effort.  I look forward to seeing it full of fish and corals!  I like Ubiquiti stuff too, but I've never seen someone install their door hardware.  It will be cool to see how it goes.

I had no idea that the BRS gel or the instaset worked that well.  It looks like a big improvement over mortar or epoxy.

With the window in the fish room maybe you could put in a heat-exchange ventilator or something in place of the window to keep (some of) the heat in but bring in fresh air and exhaust humidity?

31 minutes ago, AlanM said:

This is so great that you're setting up a big one and not sparing any effort.  I look forward to seeing it full of fish and corals!  I like Ubiquiti stuff too, but I've never seen someone install their door hardware.  It will be cool to see how it goes.

I had no idea that the BRS gel or the instaset worked that well.  It looks like a big improvement over mortar or epoxy.

With the window in the fish room maybe you could put in a heat-exchange ventilator or something in place of the window to keep (some of) the heat in but bring in fresh air and exhaust humidity?

thanks. the UI stuff is a ton of fun and just works so seamlessly and easily vs the cisco/meraki stuff. whole house is wired from cameras, to switches, to APs. this didn't seem like so much as a leap. a lot of stuff in UI early access I am waiting to show up in stock that I really want to play with!

the brs gel and instaset work amazing and I was very happy with it. the epoxy I would still recommend for base and critical holds in addition to the gel for extreme angles and the like. mortar I will only ever use again if trying to do something with wet rock. after this experience, I am a huge fanboy for this method to crazy amazing scapes very simply then cycle with structures vs curing rock then building scape.

yes, there is a panasonic ERV in the fish tank room and it works amazing well. it's way overkill as it's designed for a much larger space but wanted to give that a go before a solution for the filtration room in basement. another ERV is likely in the cards to keep efficiency up.

thanks for reading and providing input alan. long time no see and hope to see more critical feedback as things progress!

anyone see anything egregious with the design before I give the "OK" to cut?

things to remember/note

external skimmer so adjustable water isn't necessary but doing so just in case/future proof

left will be mrc infinity roller which takes all flow from tank, to right of that is four more inputs for inputs from frags/fuge/aux, extras, etc.

will probably use largest space for reactors or frag rack

all panels will be white

i requested filter sock holder/inserts just in case i sell sump in future any new owner doesn't want the roller mat/prefers socks

probe holder will be separate piece

feed tube is for custom avast plank feeder fitted

no holes for external pump to avoid creating a hole/failure point 

all baffles have emergency opening at top in case of some sort of clog under baffle blocking water

thank you for any feedback

image.thumb.png.c0546121d61e3d26b89bb6762bb8339c.png

April-19-2022 (1).pdf

I hate it, redo. :biggrin: Just kidding. Well thought out, of course.

Love the videos, by the way, keep it coming.

What will go in the section between baffle 3 and 4? Have you considered combining it with the “skimmer” section to have more of an open sump feel? That would give a nice 30”x24” section that provides a ton of flexibility. Not sure if baffle 4 and its top brace are needed for structural reasons? If that section is a potential fuge if the sump is sold, then baffle 4 might need more height.

The sump layout looks really well thought out.  Panel number 6 seems redundant, but doesn't hurt anything and prevents food from the feeder from going back into the large chamber where you would put a fuge or reactors or whatever.  What is the space between 3 and 4 doing and what is the purpose of number 4 since it's pretty wide open?

Will you feed the external skimmer from a manifold coming off the return pump since you aren't drilling any holes in the sides?  I assume that's the plan.  Where will the return from the skimmer go?  Into one of the 1.5" bulkheads or into the 9" space between 3 and 4?

I like the bulkhead openings on the tops of the sump for the really clean install possibility, but I'd spend some time thinking about how you'd use them in practice.  I assume they'll all be facing down so the "inner" surface of the bulkhead faces up.  They don't need to be watertight connections since that top surface isn't holding water.  They're really just install points for piping to go through. 

For the Abyzz return pumps, will the bulkhead be facing down so you'll glue PVC into the bottom of the bulkhead and then the rest of the return plumbing will insert into the bulkhead?  I assume the Abyzz has a union on it's output?  If it has a union that will work great.  The plumbing lines will be nice and stable inside the sump because of the pipe coming down from the bulkhead and you'll swap it right out if you ever need to replace it. 

If you swap it for something else in the future you'll have to cut off the bulkhead after unscrewing it, but you'd do that without bulkheads anyway. So the bulkheads add a nice look and stability and also some extra rotational freedom when you're doing the install to get things lined up right.  You can do all of the in-sump plumbing in the sump independent of the rest of the plumbing job and have it ready to go to insert lines into the inner parts of the bulkheads which is a big benefit.  I talked myself into them I guess. 8)