Heavy winds coming tonight

AlanM

Everyone have battery backup air pumps or generator?  

I'm hoping it isn't like the derecho where I was replacing D batteries for days.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I’m optimistic. That’s it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL.

The wires where I live are underground, so as long as the bigger ones don't go down, there shouldn't be a problem. I have some battery air pumps, and an arm and some containers for scooping water. I have no fish to worry about.

I’m optimistic. That’s it...

Same here. I live in the woods. Plus, the power runs into my area above ground. Lot's of opportunity to lose a line. However, in 7 years here, we've seen winds with gusts up around 60 mph (mostly from thunderstorms) and have done alright. I have my fingers crossed. (And a generator out back.)

My friend is in town from Boston, flight got canceled out tomorrow AM, and can't rebook until Sunday evening. I've got nada, so I'm on the optimism train.

Lost power at 3am. Still out. Dominion Energy map of outages looks like a big sad face. Whoops. Waking up every hour and agitating tank.

Fueled up this morning so I'm ready. Guess this is a good excuse to hook the Ecotech battery backup that has been sitting on the floor next to the aquarium for about six months now...

Power went out at 7am for me. My two display tanks have battery backups, but I have three qts running right now. I plan on aerating them by using cups to scoop out tank water and pouring back in. Will doing this for 30 seconds each tank every hour be sufficient? The qts are 20g. One has 2 fish. The others each have 1.

Power went out in West Springfield at some point during the night, not sure how long, but had to reset all the clocks this morning. Tanks were fine. Still have power at the moment. Fingers crossed!

Good down here in Fredericksburg. No power loss. Still blowing pretty hard.

Power is out over by the Geico building off the 17 but we're still fine a few blocks away (knock on wood). 

Power is out over by the Geico building off the 17 but we're still fine a few blocks away (knock on wood).

Glad you still have power. I was looking at the dominion power outage map and looked there was a lot of outages out your way.

We had a very minor outage of about 6 minutes in the middle of the night, but everything is back up and running a few miles in the boondocks south of Hamilton (out past Leesburg).

Power went out at 5am for 6 minutes. We have not had power go out once in the 4 years we have lived at this house. Unfortunately power went out again about an hour ago.

On my way in to work I picked up several battery powered bubblers at Walmart. Guess I’m going home early today.

And we lost power here in Springfield. Gonna start scooping and dumping to oxygenate the water. How low does the temp need to get for me to start getting worried? I am concerned the scoop and dump method will speed up the temperature decline since I'll be exposing more surface area to release heat.

I suppose I could try heating some water on our gas grill and using that to change out some water if things get dire.

I've been putting plastic 1 gallon ziplocks of hot water into the tank randomly. And I have a battery powered bubbler, just picked up a stone at petsmart. Other than that, I set my alarm every hour last night and just woke up to come out and agitate the tank. Exhausted today, but small price to pay for keeping lots of money in there alive. 

Power went out at 7am for me. My two display tanks have battery backups, but I have three qts running right now. I plan on aerating them by using cups to scoop out tank water and pouring back in. Will doing this for 30 seconds each tank every hour be sufficient? The qts are 20g. One has 2 fish. The others each have 1.

I did it for about 12 hours when we had a huge power outage in San Diego years ago. 

So far I’ve been spared. Lots of trees downed. The 30ft top of one broke off and stuck into the ground like a spear.

Unrelated- did anyone actually sleep last night?

Using a piece of interlocking foam flooring mat as a lid and wrapped the tank in a faux fur blanket to keep the temp up. Scooping and dumping every hour to oxygenate the water. The dominion map says they have a crew working in the next neighborhood over. Not sure of that means anything for is or not.

60cfef1c51a50d68b3770461114f0e33.jpg

Using a piece of interlocking foam flooring mat as a lid and wrapped the tank in a faux fur blanket to keep the temp up. Scooping and dumping every hour to oxygenate the water. The dominion map says they have a crew working in the next neighborhood over. Not sure of that means anything for is or not.

60cfef1c51a50d68b3770461114f0e33.jpg

I didn't wrap my tank, but I'm not there yet. My place stays hot, if I want it to or not. I figure the water might get a little cold, but nothing that's I'm going to lose any sleep over. Main concern is the fish at the moment.