Orange Spotted Filefish Adventure! Follow along!

arking_mark

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the QT isn't really a QT at this point, why don't you just plumb it into your DT setup?

That's what I was wondering too.  It's really just an acclimation tank.  Plumb it in and be done with it since you're exchanging water back and forth already anyway.

OP, you reused food from qt into your DT? I hope the only purpose of your QT is to get this fish eating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. For now the QT is only being used for weaning the OSF.

Since the QT isn't really a QT at this point, why don't you just plumb it into your DT setup?

That's what I was wondering too.  It's really just an acclimation tank.  Plumb it in and be done with it since you're exchanging water back and forth already anyway.

Bingo!

Question would be how to plumb it together. The DT is an AIO RSM 130D and the QT a AIO Spec V. Only thing that comes to mind is a small pump pumping From the QT to the DT and a siphon back to the DT with a float valve. Or is there something easier?

Do you have enough room for an acclimation box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a great idea! Similar to a fry holder...but big for fish. I have egg crate and zip ties! I'll sleep on it.

A bought one is worth the investment, especially if you plan on adding fish down the line. It's a really great method of introducing fish with your current stocklist. It would also be easier to observe rather than eggcrate, and probably feed. If your adding branches of SPS though I would be wary of it getting out, etc.

Day 6:

- Exciting news maybe…read on

- Ammonia @ 0 this morning and followed morning feeding and cleaning routine. The OSF did bite at a floating piece of Rods…but seemed to spit it out.

- Evening the ammonia had risen between 0 and .25. However, color was closer to .25 this time so I added some AmQel. Will continue to monitor.

- Went to Marine Scene for acro and ideas. After being lectured about how OSF should not be aquarium pets, the individual listened to my efforts and recommended adding some dense algae and pods since I observed the OSF picking at rock.

- So in addition to 2nd feeding of gel food and Rods that I smeared on the larger acro (which is starting to die)…he definitely grazed on the acro. Not sure any of the prepared food was eaten. However, he spent as much time with the purple ochtode and Pods around it. Maybe just curious but maybe not. See pictures.

- Did a 50% water change using DT water.

- Tomorrow evening I will try live brine shrimp and see how that goes.

- Still looking for advice on getting this OSF weaned. Any more ideas?

post-2635944-0-11961100-1455764826_thumb.jpg

Edited by arking_mark

Day 6:

- Morning and evening Ammonia @ 0. Yah!

- Following my morning feeding routine, I added my small acro with rods. However, I got no feeding response.

- Worried, I offered a larger heavily polyped acro and got an amazing response. See picture.

- For evening, I offered live brine shrimp to no response. I thought there would be better interest as the OSF is picking at rocks and octode for pods.

- Late evening, I offered another acro with no feeding response. I am a little worried at this point.

- Tomorrow, I will re-offer the acro that had the great response.

- Thanks to Marco @ ERC (Monkiboy), I have some additional tricks up my sleeve. Two more foods to try: LRS and PEMysis. Along with these foods, he also provided some dead coral the resembles the coral that had the great response for me to smear the food on.

- Re-read Matt Pedersen article and feel I may need to offer food for longer periods

post-2635944-0-62360600-1455854366_thumb.jpg

This won't stick to the coral skeleton, but the PE calanus really gets all my fish chasing stuff. They are in frozen cubes that immediately turn into tiny pink bugs in the water. Not sticky at all.

Day 7:

- Morning and evening Ammonia @ 0. Yah!

- Still worried, I offered a larger heavily polyped acro again for breakfast and still got an amazing response.

- Had afternoon and evening plans…but was able to make LRS coated skeletons.

Day 8:

- Morning ammonia @ 0

- Presented LRS coated skeleton for breakfast and had some grazing!!

- Afternoon, I presented another LRS coated skeleton to no reaction. 

- Ammonia was slightly above 0 so I did a 20% water change with DT.

- Seeing that the OSF is still losing weight, I provided it an sps that is dying out do the abuse it wad receiving previously with gel coatings. The OSF spent most of the evening grazing in it.

- Did another 50% water change with the DT as the ammonia was still a tad above zero.

Why are you not trying to get a reliable feeding response from him before you try to wean him? Wouldn't it be easier for you to wean him after you are sure you can keep it healthy?

Day 9, 10, 11:

- With the coated coral skeleton feedings, I cannot keep the tank ammonia down. It vacillates between 0 and .5. So the following has become routine for the last 3 days. Measure morning ammonia. If ammonia is not close to 0, dose Amqel (mornings are usually close to 0). Feed LRS coated coral at 7:30. Cleanup at 8am with syphon and feed display tank with what remains on skeleton (most of the food). Feed another Rods coated coral skeleton in the afternoon for about 30 minutes. 80% water change with the DT. Live coral feed in the later evening for about 1hr. Test the ammonia. If not 0, dose amqel.

- The OSF will lightly graze on coated coral and heavily graze on the live coral. Otherwise it hunts pods for the remainder of the day.

- The OSF continues to lose weight.

- Progress seems slow and not so promising. 

- Live brine shrimp does not work.

- I have added ochtode and been dosing pods to keep their numbers up.

- Looking for additional ideas…

Why are you not trying to get a reliable feeding response from him before you try to wean him? Wouldn't it be easier for you to wean him after you are sure you can keep it healthy?

This sounds like the only realist approach.

Per the Matt Pederson article, I am getting a reliable feeding response with live coral. "Once the fish nips at live coral, you can start the process of weaning." I was able to obtain 5 corals to supplement weaning. Of the 5, only 2 have elicited a heavy grazing response, one of which is mostly dead now. The other two nothing so far. I am acclimating the new live coral addition (purchased yesterday) to help supplement weaning.

in a case like this I have had the best luck using the fish's natural food source and getting it eating well on that for at least a week or two and conditioning markers both audio and visual to the food and behavior. only then begin to wean. to wean onto prepared with no adjustment or transition from it's natural food source is a rough path to take with specimens finicky as this.

Per the Matt Pederson article, I am getting a reliable feeding response with live coral. "Once the fish nips at live coral, you can start the process of weaning." I was able to obtain 5 corals to supplement weaning. Of the 5, only 2 have elicited a heavy grazing response, one of which is mostly dead now. The other two nothing so far. I am acclimating the new live coral addition (purchased yesterday) to help supplement weaning.

glad you read the article. Pederson did some amazing work with the species and is always willing to contribute. I do sometimes think he makes part of that series make it seem too easy though, haha.

For the first week, I had the fish reliably eating live coral...and trying out gel foods and other offerings. I am now onto the weaning phase, as it is my understanding that unless you have a large reef, you will not be able to meet the fishes eating requirements. The fact that my fish is eating pods and lightly grazing the coated coral is a start. It may transition in time to prepared foods. I could throw in into the DT, which would probably prolong it life in the short term (live coral and more pods), but would kill long term success as it would not have enough live coral and not adapt to prepared foods.

What audio and visual markers do you use? 

in a case like this I have had the best luck using the fish's natural food source and getting it eating well on that for at least a week or two and conditioning markers both audio and visual to the food and behavior. only then begin to wean. to wean onto prepared with no adjustment or transition from it's natural food source is a rough path to take with specimens finicky as this.