Dream build

zygote2k

I'm being asked to design the perfect system for a 500g tank and want to be sure that my bases are all covered.

Here's what I have so far-

Skimmer needs to be a super reef octopus SRO 3000 w/ DC pump or similar.- this might be small.

Return pump will be a Reeflo Dart

Sump is custom design by me

Wave makers will be 4) mp 40s

Lights will be Radion xr30s 4-6

Controller will be reeflink for lights and mp40s

Additional controller for system will be Apex

1/2hp chiller

2) 300w ebo jäger heaters

Will also need XL bio pellet reactor

300# of real reef plus 300# of fresh live rock

200# of live sand

Tank needs 2) overflow boxes each with a 1" return and 1.5" drain

Needs an ATO system w/ float valve and R/o preferably 4 stage with TDS meter.

UV sterilizer 80w Aquanetics-

co2 system/ 2 part dosing system

Water mix station- 100g capacity

40g qt system

Eheim auto feeder large

Exhaust fans/room ventilation

2) dedicated 20amp circuits for tank

Gfci outlets

Floor drain

Water source

Anything I've missed?

I would double the mixing station to 210 gallons. (2-105 gallon containers.

Do a pair of MP60's along with the pair of MP40's

34 gallon deep blue coral QT, grow out

And a much much bigger skimmer. Something like the SRO6000 or SRO7000. Possibly go external to maximize sump space.

I know BRK has an awesome external skimmer that would rock a 500 gallon system.

Edited by epleeds

Internet connection. For warning etc

I'd look into a automated water change....talk with Justin.

Could have it feed the qt system before the drain too

Depending on dimensions think about how things will be reached...tongs grabbers....snorkeling etc

If glass....magnetic blade cleaner.

Skimmate locker

+1 on everything above. 

Only things I can think of to add is a webcam or wireless camera, to check on the tank when away from home. As well as a spare return pump, ready to go if something happens maybe?

That would reduce the monthly maintenance fee from Rob.

Ahahaha! I of course didn't think about that aspect. Still is a possibility as he could come over and make up the water and start the water change while he does other tasks.

I plan on using a DoS for water changes just so I do less work, I still will need to make the saltwater, put the hoses in the right spots and start the program (not using it for constant water changes).

You haven't said glass or acrylic. I'm presuming glass. What about the stand? I think that is a very important part of the build that can determine everything under it.

I know we will disagree on this, but I would opt for a coast 2 coast overflow and a bean animal run out the back, drill a hole for the return. I find overflow boxes unsightly, and a waste of real-estate.

Depending on the bioload, I think Avast rates their CS3 for up to 500, I would consider them an option for skimmers. 

I would go with two smaller DC return pumps for a dream system. 

The DC pumps will be redundant in case of pump failure, operate off battery backup, and will be even quieter than the Dart.

Also, I've got a 10lb CO2 fire extinguisher on my tank room build plan.  Not sure if you're planning a fish room of if this system is all in-cabinet.

I think someone might have mentioned it already but if you going this far with it then hard wire in the Apex.  I am very glad mine is always wired in although most of the time it is completely unnecessary. 

Question on why use the reeflink and apex?

You mentioned an XL biopellet reactor - I'd suggest going with the large model of Avast's new Spyglass reactor

Additionally, you will probably need some kind of screen top - if AA would do a version of what they're putting on their new AIO line, that would be really sweet.

Edited by LCDRDATA

Rob, why only 2x20 amp circuits?  I would go with at least 4 if you have room for it and make sure that you never overload any of them.  I would go with the chiller on one, the QT on another, and then divide the lighting and life support between the other two making sure to balance between the two of them so that if you do pop a circuit you have 1/2 of your life support still running (e.g. return pump on one, circulation pumps on the other).