Moving cross country?

Ali

Hi all,

I'd appreciate any suggestions or lessons learned folks have from moving cross country with a tank. 

I have a 90 gallon with a hippo tang; a couple of clown fish; and a orchid dottyback. And I have numerous pieces of coral and 50-60 pounds of liverock. 

My problem is that I'm moving across country in 10 days -- I'll be driving to the midwest, and wanted to get thoughts about how to do it. My actual tank won't be going with me; it'd be too heavy, and will have to wait for the movers. 

My current plan is to have 2 or 3 large plastic tubs in the SUV with me -- one for livestock, and 1-2 more for the coral/liverock. I'm hoping to run heaters and powerheads off an inverter during the trip. I expect it'll take 2 days, with an overnight stop at the midpoint. 

Any suggestions as to how to do this without, well, killing everything, would be much appreciated. 

Also, once I arrive, everything will have to reside in whatever temporary housing I use to transport them. I won't be able to move them into a tank until we get into our final home, which may take 2-3 weeks. 

Thanks for all of your thoughts and advice!

Good luck with your move!

I personally would sell the fish and just focus on keeping the rock and coral alive. Its one thing to travel and set up but 2-3 weeks in buckets its a lot for those fish to handle imo.

I would sell everything and buy new once you get there. or see if one of the LFS would ship everything to you if you are attached to what's in your tank.

The chances of losing all the livestock if something happens isn't worth the risk in my opinion.

Yeah, I was going to suggest possibly shipping and having them in a quarantine until you arrived but shipping this time of year is risky. I wish I had a suggestion. If you keep the car very warm you may be okay with circulating with an air pump and plugging in at night in a hotel. Not sure I would do that with anything bigger than a couple of inches though. Call a couple of the lfs. They may have suggestions since they transport year round.

Calling the LFS re: holding the fish for awhile is a great suggestion. The liverock and coral would be much less of a load, and easier to maintain in 55 gallon tubs. But the fish, though few, would be a concern. 

Thanks!

I would sell everything and buy new once you get there. or see if one of the LFS would ship everything to you if you are attached to what's in your tank.

The chances of losing all the livestock if something happens isn't worth the risk in my opinion.

+1

Maybe wrap the live rock in wet newspaper or towel and try to see if it makes it, otherwise you are going to have an interesting trip. Have you sen the outside temps lately? Not going ot be fun. Good Luck.

Are you doing the drive in one day? If that's the case your car will stay warm and you can get some battery operated air pumps to keep the water oxygenated just keep a couple sets of battery's. Coral and fish survive a trip overseas you can do it just keep an eye on everything maybe even put some heat packs under the containers for the ride.

This. Just sell it, start fresh. No tears, no tangles.

This is exactly what I am having to do this go around, as hard as it is. I haven't sold off my coral, fish, equipment etc. in the near 20yrs of being in the hobby. I have moved numerous times, some 5hrs+ away with coral, fish, etc. but in the end...It's a huge risk to take. This go around, mainly due to the fact it is cross-country, taking the risk just isn't there for me. I rather see the corals, fish, etc. thrive in someone's tank here, versus risking them in a very long distant transfer where I wouldn't even have an established tank setup once I got there. If I did have an established tank in place prior to the move, that's a different story, where I would just FedEx everything to the new place... Just something to think about.

-Anthony

This is my advice as well. I moved only 45 mins away and because I was so attached to my fish, I hated to part with them. Lost all 40+ except for one freakin damsel. Still hurts. I would make sure your fish have nice homes and start over completely. It'll be much easier on you and them. 

I moved a 40g reef about 17 years ago and had pretty good luck. I placed everything in buckets, drained the tank, moved it into the moving truck, filled it back up enough to cover the rock and tossed everything back in. I used a battery operated air pump and set sail. It should have only been a five or six our ordeal but ended up taking about 18 hours. It had to sit in the moving truck over night. I lost one of my clams but that was it. Was pretty amazing really. If I had known we would have gotten stuck over night I never would have tried it. This was a moved from CA to AZ in late September (toasty temps). 

Sell your corals keep fish and LR. If they can survive overnight in tiny bags then they can stay in a tub for a couple nights. Just test run the batteries out and make sure the cigarette lighter can support that much energy without blowing a fuse. Plan plan plan and prepare for unexpected. Remember tap water can be used if you get in a pinch and there is a lot of sloshing loss

I still say this. I've moved x2 in the past 6 months. All close, but the stress of moving the tank each time is not worth it, IMO. Moving is enough work and stress, no need to add more to the pile.

I still say this. I've moved x2 in the past 6 months. All close, but the stress of moving the tank each time is not worth it, IMO. Moving is enough work and stress, no need to add more to the pile.

I wouldn't even move my tank 10' when Kate asked.

I have moved my tank and everything in it 3 times now (longest move was from Charlotte NC to Alexandria VA).  I won't do it again because, as reefopotamus mentions here,  it is just too much stress to add to an already stressful time.  And to top it all off, you run the risk of losing some/all of your livestock.  

IMHO, it is better to either sell everything and take your time rebuilding, or have someone ship you what you want to keep after you are established and ready to house them once again.  Plus, at least 60% of the fun in this hobby is building the tank :)

This is something a lot of people don't understand but my fish are like family to me and if I move I will figure out a way to safely move them with me. I have moved twice with no problems.

Are you doing the drive in one day? If that's the case your car will stay warm and you can get some battery operated air pumps to keep the water oxygenated just keep a couple sets of battery's. Coral and fish survive a trip overseas you can do it just keep an eye on everything maybe even put some heat packs under the containers for the ride.

I've tried running heaters off auto inverters and they did not work. I'v e seen some pumps not work off inverters also. Had something to do with "sine-wave".