rodi ?

pizzaguy

As most know I have the awi typhoon extreme. As crazy as this sounds I've never used the float valve or asov until yesterday. First I've ever used one actually. So here's the problem. Float valve works fine shuts water off at valve. But the water supply just keeps running and out the drain it goes. Any suggestions is appreciated.

Edited by pizzaguy

Yes. Installed by awi. Never used but guess it could be faulty

Are you talking about the waste water running?

If you're ASOV is installed properly, the waste water will take up to 5 minutes or more to build up enough pressure to stop. Mine takes about that long. Give it time after your float shuts the water off and then see what happens.

Are you talking about the waste water running?

If you're ASOV is installed properly, the waste water will take up to 5 minutes or more to build up enough pressure to stop. Mine takes about that long. Give it time after your float shuts the water off and then see what happens.

+1

I let it run for probably 5 hours never stopped

eric..you are talking about the waste water, right?

also..keep in mind that the asov is not meant to be a permanent on/off switch for your rodi. its only meant to be a temporary shut off until you can physically get to the valve to turn of the water.

Yes waste water. It doesn't shut off the waste at all just at the float valve

Ok, my guess is a bad ASOV, assuming you assembled it properly. Mine was faulty too and BRS had to replace it so it may be pretty common. I'd check the connections and make sure you have all the lines going where they should go first.

Here's a good diagram:

http://www.buckeyehydro.com/content/Auto_Shut_Off_Valve.pdf

eric..you are talking about the waste water, right?

also..keep in mind that the asov is not meant to be a permanent on/off switch for your rodi. its only meant to be a temporary shut off until you can physically get to the valve to turn of the water.

Jack- What do you mean the ASOV is not meant to be a permanent on/off switch? I have one, but I also have a float valve that shuts the water off in a trashcan when it is full after water is taken out of the trashcan.

I used to have this problem with the BRS ASOV. Ever since I switched to the AquaFx high pressure version, this is a non-issue. Be aware that the way you plumb this is different from a typical ASOV.

--

Warren

Jack- What do you mean the ASOV is not meant to be a permanent on/off switch? I have one, but I also have a float valve that shuts the water off in a trashcan when it is full after water is taken out of the trashcan.

The float/ASOV combo is meant to save marriages...:) But seriously, a RODI should not be turned on or off as often as the fluctuations from your reservoir would suggest. Your RODI is most efficient when it's run for long periods of time. That means for filling your 20G, 30G, 50G, etc containers all at once. Your filters will have a short life span if they are used in another way.

so...turn on your RODI to make water. Go to sleep and let your ASOV shut off the water when at capacity. Then go downstairs and turn off the RODI from your hard plumbed valve. Repeat.

The float/ASOV combo is meant to save marriages... :) But seriously, a RODI should not be turned on or off as often as the fluctuations from your reservoir would suggest. Your RODI is most efficient when it's run for long periods of time. That means for filling your 20G, 30G, 50G, etc containers all at once. Your filters will have a short life span if they are used in another way.

so...turn on your RODI to make water. Go to sleep and let your ASOV shut off the water when at capacity. Then go downstairs and turn off the RODI from your hard plumbed valve. Repeat.

OK, that makes sense. I guess I need to change the set up (which I will be doing shortly with my new 165g container). Thanks for the info, learned something new today.....Ok I learned a few things. :laugh:

OK, that makes sense. I guess I need to change the set up (which I will be doing shortly with my new 165g container). Thanks for the info, learned something new today.....Ok I learned a few things. :laugh:

+1.

I didn't even know what the ASOV was for before this thread, so that's one more thing I know now.

There's nothing wrong with letting the float valve and ASOV cut off the RODI. It's just that for the first minute or so, your DI stage will be exposed to extra contaminates. I do agree that letting it run for more than 5 gallons at a time is ideal. Ironically, running it for extended periods of time results in decreased chlorine/chloramine filtering efficiency from the carbon block.

--

Warren

Check your pressure, Eric. You could also have a dirty filters in your early stages. I had the same symptoms on my system at home. I'm on a well with a booster pump. My pressure dropped when the prefilter was clogged. That is, the pressure in the subsequent stages dropped alot because the prefilter was clogged. The drop was enough to keep the ASOV from shutting down the wastewater flow and it would run for hours sometimes (even with a booster pump). I'd even gone so far as to replace the ASOV but without success. When I replaced the sediment filters, it started working again.

You could try a quick test of this: Just take your sediment filters out and run it for a few minutes. If the ASOV works and shuts off the flow, then the filters need replacement. After that, check the pressure coming into the system. If that checks out, consider replacing the ASOV.