Check out this tank :)

taiscici

Awesome, but I vote photoshop, the physics don't make sense.

Awesome, but I vote photoshop, the physics don't make sense.

+1 Unless there's one heck of a piece of steel on the other side of that wall.

More information?

Structurally it's possible but highly unlikely and not feasible in residential construction. The cost would be extraordinary. Need to see the other side of that wall.

I agree with those above.  It could be done if there is a large counterweight on the other side of the wall and the tank is cantilevered.  The Dutch do some amazing things with aquarium style and it would be nice to see how they did this.  But even steel sags over time and I wouldn't want to count on this tank a few years from now.

Thanks for the link, Chau. This caught my eye and I read through some of the first few pages of the thread thanks to google translate. This looks legit unless the entire thread and it's participants are acting. It looks like it is steel girders tied back to some compilation of vertical steel that is then anchored into the ground with a foundation like no other. They talk about structural calculations, etc so he had pro help. There is a barn that's behind that wall that conceals the structure and also serves as sort of a fish room.

This would cost a fortune here but maybe in the Netherlands, not so much....The dutch are known the push the limits in architecture so this is not surprising to me.

This is a zeo tank too. Really crazy.

What an idiot! He could have bought a much bigger and nicer tank with the amount of money he spent to allow his cat to walk under it.

What an idiot! He could have bought a much bigger and nicer tank with the amount of money he spent to allow his cat to walk under it.

I don't think they are an idiot. It's unique and beautiful. Like mentioned, I doubt there is another one like it. Although if they were going to take such time to make it so clean, I would have at least concealed the power cord under it up the wall.

It's certainly cool, but not sure it's something I would personally do. That said I think most "normal" people would think each and every one of us is crazy for the stuff we do to related to our tanks. Don't judge lest ye be judged :p

If he (I assume it's a he) wanted to be really cool he would have gotten tremendous magnets and levitated the whole thing instead of securing it to the wall.

Pretty cool. When I installed the Google Translate plug in for Firefox, I found that there was a lot of engineering talk towards the beginning in the thread. I just skimmed the thread, but it does seem that there are two galvanized I-beams that penetrate the wall, with a 300 kg counterweight on the other side. The load is directed down into the building's foundation. Again, I just skimmed a few posts but the discussion seemed reasonable for the concept that the owner tried to implement here.

Although if they were going to take such time to make it so clean, I would have at least concealed the power cord under it up the wall.

LOL.  :laugh:  It's all about the little details.

Some one on NanoReef did this with a 40g breeder, I will see if I can find the thread.

I've seen a tank very similar to this that actually raised and lowered to allow access to a hidden stairway. Just as large and similar construction using steel girders.