Tricia's 90 gallon Build

Mag drives are cheap, plentiful, and reliable. Last for years. Parts to be found at the hardware store or garden center and LFS. If you go with one return and one drain, match pump size to how much can be forced through 3/4" pipe minus fittings and associated drag. Ideal rates of turnover are just that- an ideal. In the real world, you go with what your plumbing will allow through the sump and provide in-tank circulation with powerheads.

No need for a phos-reactor at this stage of the game- maybe some months down the line.

Check out the flow calculator on RC.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I may not be able to swing the DC pump now, but at the very least, I can plan ahead for the future.

Then get the Mag. They run a little warmer and you'll pay more in the way of operating costs over the operational life (but they'll be distributed costs), but they keep a good pressure, are definitely proven reliable over many years (unlike the DC pumps which have a limited history since they're relatively new), and can be found used easily enough. If you buy it used, they also hold their resale value pretty good. So, when you're ready for a change, you can get most of your purchase money back out. Put it on an old mouse pad in your sump and that will help keep it quiet.

Sent from my LG G-Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition

Then get the Mag. They run a little warmer and you'll pay more in the way of operating costs over the operational life (but they'll be distributed costs), but they keep a good pressure, are definitely proven reliable over many years (unlike the DC pumps which have a limited history since they're relatively new), and can be found used easily enough. If you buy it used, they also hold their resale value pretty good. So, when you're ready for a change, you can get most of your purchase money back out. Put it on an old mouse pad in your sump and that will help keep it quiet.

Sent from my LG G-Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition

+1

i had a mag 9 on this tank and had to throttle it back ....3/4 lines are annoying, and  as i said i would drill them to 1 in if i were you while its empty (but i think it may nto be empty anymore haha..

regargless i ran it fine with the 3/4 for 3 years.

i am a fan on of high flow in tank, low flow for overflow...not point in high flow rate thru a sump if you ask me....

i would think a mag 5 or 7 would be perfect.....i still use my mag 9 on my 150g (wide open though) and i bought it new in 2005 i think.

Do you have a budget for your return pump? I'm shopping around all over the place for one to put on my new 120 and I may spot something along the way that would work for you. Shoot me a pm if you like. fun to watch your build. cheers

So it's time for an update on my tank. I've been spending way too much time at Home Depot. I actually got asked if I was a plumber :wacko:

At the meeting, I got the following items (thank you to everyone):

1. 40B sump

2. Coralife Dual T5 light

3. Hydor centrifugal 740 gph pump

4. A bag full of foods, additives, etc.

5. ASM G2 Skimmer

6. Sand, sand and more sand.

7. A frogspawn (SWAP)

8. A red monti (SWAP)

9. A Kenyan tree

10. Zoas (SWAP)

What all this meant was I had a lot of work to do Saturday and Sunday night.  I placed the bagged corals in my tank Sat night and opted to wait until Sunday to acclimate them into my 40g tank. I acclimated them over a 2 hour time-span.  Both the Kenyan and the Monti are having some light-adjustment issues, but are doing better after some moving. 

sml_gallery_2634904_1418_352412.jpgsml_gallery_2634904_1418_27738.jpg

Sunday morning, I cleaned out the sump and placed it in the stand.  med_gallery_2634904_1418_551521.jpg

I inspected and tested the return pump.  I cleaned the skimmer, googled the manual, read that, and then googled how to adjust skimmers (the manuals are surprisingly not helpful).  I placed the skimmer in my 90g tank that's on my cheetah towel and started it running.  This way it provides flow in the tank to cure the live rock and I get to see how it works.

sml_gallery_2634904_1418_88541.jpg

Before my 90 build, I had a 20 in my bedroom and a 40g (bought completely outfitted with everything including fish from someone that was moving) in the living room.  To accomodate the 90, I broke the 20g down, moved the lone maroon clown into the 40, and moved the 40 into my bedroom. The 20g had been broken down and left in the 90g stand for the past couple weeks.  I had also bought fish off of a WAMAS member (back when I thought I was going to be doing a simple 1-click buy canister filter on Amazon) and had them in QT in a tub in my bedroom.  So the fish have been doing fine, so I cleared them of QT, but without the 90g setup to move fish into, I decided to reset-up the 20g.  So that was part of Sunday's task.  I fit it in-between 2 dressers (crappy lighting and placement, but it's fine as a temporary thing), removed the live sand, put a filter back on it, and jerry-rigged the hood.  Since it's sitting on the ground, it has now become CAT TV.  She loves it!!!

sml_gallery_2634904_1418_1007343.jpg

I also cleaned a bunch of parts from the 90g tank, like the bulkheads, in vinegar.  I took apart the dual T5 light and cleaned out the salt creep.  The screws were starting to rust, so I took those out as well. I tried getting replacements at Home Depot, but it's not a standard screw.  I contacted Coralife, and they are sending me some replacement screws for free (THANK YOU). 

Evan had owned the stand before me, and he had put some cooling fans in here.  Does anyone have a 4 pin connector to ACDC adaptor I could borrow to see if they even still work?  If they don't work, I'll just buy fans that come with a plug instead of the 4pin models.  I also removed the metal halide retrofit and cleaned the hood, removing extra screws and such things.  Last night, I sprayed it with 2 coats of Killz to waterproof it again. 

tn_gallery_2634904_1418_245074.jpgmed_gallery_2634904_1418_301050.jpg

And last night, I bought a return flow loc-line system and spray painted the back of the tank black.  Rob (THANK YOU) is coming out this weekend to help me plumb the tank.  So while I made those beautiful plans and documented the pieces I would need, I am sure his system will be different.  So I basically bought 8 of everything in 3/4" size at H.D. that I thought he could possibly need.  Seriously, I have like 8 each of every type of connector, elbow, SLIPxMPT etc.  I even have like 6 unions total. LOL. 

It's ok, you can return whatever you don't use back to the depot. On your way.

It's ok, you can return whatever you don't use back to the depot. On your way.

LOL. Exactly. I've also been drawing up plans for my aquascape.  I found a GREAT aquascaping website http://fish-etc.com/aquascaping-main/on-the-rocks-how-to-build-a-saltwater-reefscape and am starting to get somewhere with my design.  Now if only I could get my rocks on board with the plan!

This weekend I'll finish the set-up of the tank, have it filled with water, rock & substrate (hopefully) and be well on my way!

man stand looks good.....i mean it looks better than it did in my basement haha...guess the lighting.

i had a random power supply that was from a computer...it came with the fans. if i find it ill send you a pm...may still be at the parents. literally was a computer power supply with the ribbon connections

ps. even with the holes beign 3/4 i stil ran 1in plumbing just cause i felt better about it and if you ever decide to drill 1 in holes the switch over is easy. basicaly the 3/4 was only teh bulkhead and went right into a 1in sanitary T.

man stand looks good.....i mean it looks better than it did in my basement haha...guess the lighting.

i had a random power supply that was from a computer...it came with the fans. if i find it ill send you a pm...may still be at the parents. literally was a computer power supply with the ribbon connections

ps. even with the holes beign 3/4 i stil ran 1in plumbing just cause i felt better about it and if you ever decide to drill 1 in holes the switch over is easy. basicaly the 3/4 was only teh bulkhead and went right into a 1in sanitary T.

So you're telling me I should return all the 3/4 plumbing and buy 1".  :: sigh :: 

I have also been debating on replacing the trim. I don't think I'm going to do it this time around, but if I change apartments when my lease is up, I might.  I'll probably design the doors without trim to start, and then add it at the same time so everything matches. I was also considering getting a little elaborate on the doors with that pallet wood another reefer had mentioned. We'll see. <3 again for the set up, and let me know what I can do to help with your tank!

no not necessarily need to return it, just ask Rob....if your gonna stay 3/4 wont be a bit issue. if you wanna drill it quick (i have a drill bit i could lend if i can find it) then youd just need bulk heads  but i just never got around to it.

i can also show you the wood and stain i used so it shuold be able to match pretty easy.

my plan was to just cut strips to cover the old trim of the same wood and glue it on there or take a piece of wood Trim to hid the tanks trim and stain it to match.

Since it's sitting on the ground, it has now become CAT TV.  She loves it!!!

sml_gallery_2634904_1418_1007343.jpg

Cats and kids, both can be entertained for hours by a fish tank..... Wait, which does that make me?

Looking forward to this build, 90g is a good tank size. 

"When in doubt...buy Home Depot out". Buying multiples of everything helps prevent multiple runs to HD. When I plumbed my sink and floor channel drain I made sure my plumber had every option. I knew there would be about 3 turns, so I bought 4 of every type of turn so he could pick and choose. Everything else went back to HD.

Looking good!  You have definitely put some time in it.

Cats and kids, both can be entertained for hours by a fish tank..... Wait, which does that make me?

Looking forward to this build, 90g is a good tank size. 

I have a tank in my office at work too. People come in and just sit to watch it and relax. So apparently the categories for creatures entertained by fish tanks are expansive.  And thank you! I'm also looking forward to the build, but then, I'm kind of biased ;)

"When in doubt...buy Home Depot out". Buying multiples of everything helps prevent multiple runs to HD. When I plumbed my sink and floor channel drain I made sure my plumber had every option. I knew there would be about 3 turns, so I bought 4 of every type of turn so he could pick and choose. Everything else went back to HD.

Looking good!  You have definitely put some time in it.

Your plumbing intimidates my plumbing and makes it feel insignificant and small.  LOL.  Thank goodness for digital receipts! And yes, Sunday was "tank day."  Can't wait for the point where I get to add at least a few of my fish!

Atleast someone asked if you were a plumber...

I had a few plumbing parts and other misc things in a bucket and some guy walked up to me and handed me his card (look like a kid had done it on an etch-a-sketch) but I digress...I looked at it and handed it back and said, if I needed a plumber, why would I have come down to Home Depot and picked out the parts I needed all by my little self? Lol

Anyways...great progress! Let any of us know if you need help.....

Hey Trisha,

As Evan suggested, I would highly recommend up-sizing your return plumbing to at least 1" even if you have to downsize back to 3/4" at the output.  It's hard on the pump to push water through that narrow a pipe.  Upsizing will significantly reduce friction loss, which will reduce total head pressure and allow you to achieve a higher flow rate.  Might as well do it the "optimal" way while the tank is dry and you still have a chance to do it, instead of wishing you had done it later on.  Just a suggestion.  Nice build.

So Rob came over and plumbed the tank for me! Huge thank you to him.

So there's still some things that need to be done, but the basics are all finished. I'll start putting my rocks and sand in tonight, and then the water in tomorrow :)

sml_gallery_2634904_1418_725130.jpgmed_gallery_2634904_1418_601110.jpg

Nice

good job taking your time and getting it just the way you want it, I rushed a little getting mine set up because the wife was getting upset that I took over the garage, and due to time/budget restraints I didnt set everything up exactly how I wanted, and it drives me nuts every day. (am I talking about my wife or the tank?)

good luck I cant wait to see some pictures of it up and running.

Nice

good job taking your time and getting it just the way you want it, I rushed a little getting mine set up because the wife was getting upset that I took over the garage, and due to time/budget restraints I didnt set everything up exactly how I wanted, and it drives me nuts every day. (am I talking about my wife or the tank?)

good luck I cant wait to see some pictures of it up and running.

Thanks. I feel out of it today, or I'd post a better description. lol

When you put your rock and sand in there, make sure you cover it with water. It sounds like you've took some time to start cycling the rock, don't want to lose any of what you started.

When you put your rock and sand in there, make sure you cover it with water. It sounds like you've took some time to start cycling the rock, don't want to lose any of what you started.

Yep!  They're currently sitting in water now so I don't lose any time.  I'd really really really like to get my QT tank shut down (which involves a lot of fish-shuffling including into the new tank) by this weekend so I have the space back for my weekend guests, but I think that's pushing it.