Tricia's 90 gallon Build

So Rob came over and plumbed the tank for me! Huge thank you to him.

So there's still some things that need to be done, but the basics are all finished. I'll start putting my rocks and sand in tonight, and then the water in tomorrow :)

So, for all of his grumpiness and smart-allecky comments, Rob can be a really nice guy, so I hear,lol

Looks great Tricia! Can't wait to see what you do with the rock!

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So...

Last night I stayed up late getting as far along as I could.  I added water to one compartment of the sump and started the skimmer going.  I placed the skimmer on bubble wrap to minimize noise from the pump.  I'll eventually change it out for a mousepad, but it works for the moment.  I used the water I'd been curing the rocks in to give the skimmer some work and keep it all cycling. 

Next, I placed my rocks in the tank.  I love the formation I ended up with, but I wish I could just enlarge it a bit.  But I used most of my rock (I placed 2 left over blah pieces in the sump), and I can add to it later if I need.  I then siliconed some of the key points of the rock formation.  While it certainly was staying up on its own, I did this for some added security.  I'm not sure how much of a difference it'll make, but.... The rock formation is designed to give me maximum swimming space for my fish, lots of nooks and crevices, creating an aquascape with an eye for creating as natural-looking a formation as possible, and lastly, providing a platform for some corals.  The design (out of water at least) was made to create depth and the illusion of perspective. Once the water clears, we'll see if that's how it looks!

Then I laid down a bed of about 40 pounds of new crushed coral.  I made sure to get it into as many crevices as I could.  I then laid down a layer of fine live sand taken from a member's tank, as well as some sand that Ken (Duffy) had given me.  I sloped the sand to aid with the illusion of perspective with the deeper sand bed in the back.  I loev the way it looks up agains the glass because you can really see the layers!  And then I filled it with about 10-15g of water to keep the sand and rocks alive.  I didn't fully cover the rocks because of the silicone, but I poured water over them last night and this morning. 

I'll be filling up the tank tonight, and hopefully seeing how it all works!

gallery_2634904_1418_1340994.jpg

one of the few times i get to see something donated actually put to work. as simple as it is, it made me smile to see the sump in use - good work.

nice progress. just reading your posts, one can see you got the bug and it's got you good, ha!

what silicone specifically did you use? any reason in particular you went that route in stead of some type of epoxy/aqua-stix or mortar?

you may want to place a towel or something else moist over the rock wet to keep it moist so you don't have die off of all the goodness you worked hard to build up. although, not much seems exposed just seems like plenty of time for it to dry up between "baths" you provide.

pardon if you mentioned it but what are you doing for lighting?

Edited by monkiboy

(edited)

one of the few times i get to see something donated actually put to work. as simple as it is, it made me smile to see the sump in use - good work.

nice progress. just reading your posts, one can see you got the bug and it's got you good, ha!

what silicone specifically did you use? any reason in particular you went that route in stead of some type of epoxy/aqua-stix or mortar?

you may want to place a towel or something else moist over the rock wet to keep it moist so you don't have die off of all the goodness you worked hard to build up. although, not much seems exposed just seems like plenty of time for it to dry up between "baths" you provide.

Oh I put the sump (& skimmer) to work last night.  I vaccumed out the sand from all the debris, then dumped that water in the sump since they're not connected.  I got to watch my skimmer work hard!  The sump was like a black cloud at first, and then by the end of the night, it was crystal clear.  Mind you, i still haven't found the Goldilocks spot on my skimmer.  It's either too wet or the bubbles aren't quite reaching the cup.  But it works!

So lighting.... I have 4 lights for 3 tanks.  I have the following:

1 x 48" Dual T5

1 x 24" Quad T5 (currently on my 40g)

1 x 18" Marineland Reef-ready LED (currently on my work 20g)

1 x 12" Marineland LED (Fish-only) (currently on my QT tank)

I know the Dual T5 is going up on the 90g.  But the rest I'm still playing with which tank they're going to go on.  My work tank doesn't NEED the reef-ready unless I put RBTA in with my clowns that will go in there.  The 40g is going to be a FOWLR tank I think, so that doesn't necessarily need the Quad T5s.  And so on.... Everything resembles a game of musical chairs.

Plus, I've always used glass versa-tops on my tanks.  Do you guys do that?  I've always used them to contain the splashing made by the power filters, but with a sump I'm not as sure if they're as necessary.  My 48" T5 can sit across the hood easy enough, but the others would need a glass top on at least half the tank. 

I really want to try to work with the lighting I have so I can save up towards upgrading to LEDs. 

Edited by truetricia2

And the silicone failed.  I used it because I had bought it for my Marco Inbox overflow box (see upcoming photo).  I was going to use zip-ties and tubing to stabilize my rocks, but then they just weren't conducive to such things.  I've never had good luck with epoxy.  I probably do it wrong, but I never could get corals to stick with it.  I suppose I'll have to use epoxy or mortar now.  The silicone didn't really take to the rocks and they were easily pulled apart.

Which brand(s) do you recommend? 

So the tank is filled almost to the top!

Last night I vaccumed out the sand, put the skimmer to work, installed my Marco Box, and then filled her up!  The pictures aren't the best because things aren't quite settled yet, but you get the idea.  I have one last rock to add from my 40g tank.  And once I'm done with vaccuming the sand (it needs another round or 3), I'll readjust it to the correct sloped height.  I'm teleworking tomorrow, so I'm hoping to add the remainder of the water and turn the whole system "on."

The Marco Box

sml_gallery_2634904_1418_887198.jpg

The tank!

med_gallery_2634904_1418_405751.jpg

Shelf Rock & "Camel Head Reef" (see the shape in the far right rock?)

med_gallery_2634904_1418_91657.jpg

Front left bridge (I'll be adding a rock here to the top)

med_gallery_2634904_1418_935171.jpg

g

Do you think you'll have enough hiding spots for the fish? While I love my aquascaping, and there is room for stuff to grow, I don't have a lot of hiding spots, and it's very much a "display." One of my regrets is not putting in enough spots for all the fish that I would like to have without any aggression. Just something to consider. What is your coral stock list looking like? 

Do you think you'll have enough hiding spots for the fish? While I love my aquascaping, and there is room for stuff to grow, I don't have a lot of hiding spots, and it's very much a "display." One of my regrets is not putting in enough spots for all the fish that I would like to have without any aggression. Just something to consider. What is your coral stock list looking like? 

There's actually a fair amount of hiding spaces.  There's a huge hollow space in the middle of front right rock pile.  Plus tons of places under the ledge.  And the bridge also has lots of littel nooks & crannies.  But that's part of what I was thinking when I said I loved the formation, but kind of wish I could just scale it up.  Is there an app for that?

I can't do much the next two weekends because I have guests, but I'll probably ask Dave if I can raid his rock pallets again for some additional pieces.  Plus there's a gap in the front (to me anyways) that I don't particularly love.  It doesn't work with my perspective. 

I'm not too worried corals yet.  I have the red monti, the greensomethingeyed zoas, and a hammer.  I know I want some gorgonians for the back.  I've placed some loaner rocks, like Camel Head Reef, around the tank to provide a place for those pesky take-over corals like GSP. 

I'm more worried about getting my fish moved around and happy first.  Corals second. 

• 3 weeks later...

So what is up with Camel Head Reef?  You are more lackadaisical then me with posts!

I assume you are as busy as I am .

I will be setting up my own 90g soon, but it is not plumbed like yours (wish it was).  It has no overflow.  I will likely use an HOB skimmer, etc.  I am very curious about what you will do with the lighting.  I may be missing something but the lighting you described above seems entirely insufficient for corals?  I am considering buying a new programmable LED fixture but am uncertain what brand/wattage to buy for this type of tank.  Eventually I would like to grow SPS at least at the top/middle of the tank.  I can't seem to find very good information on what LED system would be best for this type of tank.  ... Anyway, I will be following along step by step.  Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I will be setting up my own 90g soon, but it is not plumbed like yours (wish it was).  It has no overflow.  I will likely use an HOB skimmer, etc.  I am very curious about what you will do with the lighting.  I may be missing something but the lighting you described above seems entirely insufficient for corals?  I am considering buying a new programmable LED fixture but am uncertain what brand/wattage to buy for this type of tank.  Eventually I would like to grow SPS at least at the top/middle of the tank.  I can't seem to find very good information on what LED system would be best for this type of tank.  ... Anyway, I will be following along step by step.  Good luck!

So talk with Marco from ERC about LED lighting.  First off, ERC has great customer service & Marco is an incredible wealth of knowledge.  Second, ERC does group buys for LED lights.  Some other vendors do as well, so just keep an eye out so you can get the best pricing possible.

As for my tank, right now I have 1 SPS coral in there, and it's doing ok!  Ok, technically, there's a little bleaching, but I think that was a nitrate issue.  And I bought some PAR 38 LEDs off of another guy.  They're currently jerririgged on my system, but hopefully I'll find the time to go to Home Depot and do it right soon.  I definitely need to upgrade my lighting system at some point, but getting my water quality under control was the first priority.  Now, lighting is at the top of the list (unless I manage to get a great system going with these PARs). 

So sorry about the lack of tank updates.  I've actually been busy at work, which is a nice change. Technically, right now I am procrastinating on a project. 

So my tank has been up and running for a few months now.  As many of you know from a different thread, I've been struggling with nitrates.  Turns out Miami's tap water is much cleaner than DC's, and I ended up getting an RODI unit to try to turn the tide of the battle.  I'd been doing all these water changes to try and get my nitrates down, and I finally tested the "clean" water I was putting in.  Much to my horor, it was as contaminated as the water I was pulling out!  No wonder I was having diatom and algae explosions all over the tank!

So I ended up getting an RODI unit.  It's a Buckeye Hydro unit that was generously donated by another WAMAS member who had upgraded his.  I purchased replacement filters, a new RO membrane, and those lovely color-changing DI resin pellets that feel funny.  It has an auto-shutoff valve, TDS meter, and pressure meter.  However, that auto shutoff only works when it is either attached to a float system, or you manually close the valve on the output.  Right.  So I definitely fell asleep on the couch a few times while running the water and woke up to a small flood in my kitchen.  The neighbors knocked on my door and I vehemently denied everything (all of you reading this are now sworn to secrecy!). 

But now after numerous water changes, my nitrates are going back down.  I can tell even without testing because the rocks are clearing up of all the brown algae and the sand is looking cleaner.  It's not nearly down to where I want it, but it's coming along, about 10-15 gallons at a time :) 

I've picked up some corals from WAMAS members, both through SWAP, freebies, and sales.  I'll have to make a list.  And I did lose a couple SWAP corals in the nitrate crisis.  SORRY!

The pictures I'm posting are from in the middle of the nitrate crisis.  I'll take some more tonight so you can see the improvement.  And before anyone says anything, yes, I know about the tang.  I actually rescued him from a much smaller tank when a guy sold me his 40g set up back in January, this fish included.  At some point, I'll find a home for him.  For right now, he's happy, begs for food, eats out of my hand, has an annoying "little sister" in the foxface (she follows him around constantly), and is named Mr. T. 

med_gallery_2634904_1418_1080108.jpg

med_gallery_2634904_1418_1355598.jpg

med_gallery_2634904_1418_1718099.jpg

(edited)

Ok... Need to keep a record of things in my tank, where they came from, etc.  For those of you great with scientific names, feel free to correct me. 

My key:

$ = purchased/traded/free

S = SWAP

Corals

1. 2 x 2-Headed torch - $ x AF John

2. Galaxea coral - $ x AF John

3. Yellow hammer - $ x AF John

4. Green mushrooms - $ x

5. Zoas TBD later - $ x Sharkey/Laura

6. Zoa - S x Sharkey/Laura

7. Red mushrooms - $ x AF John

8. Palys - $ x AF John

9. Toadstool leather - $ x

10. Zoas - S x

11. Long Skirt Golden Zoanthid - S x JohnRhodes

Fish

1. Naso Tang

2. One-spot foxface

3. Pajama Cardinals

Edited by truetricia2

Not that I am keeping score...but I gave you a 2 headed frogspawn and a red monti at the last meeting. :) But like I said in my other thread, you can have more of the monti if you had a hard time keeping it alive. Just let me know.

Not that I am keeping score...but I gave you a 2 headed frogspawn and a red monti at the last meeting. :) But like I said in my other thread, you can have more of the monti if you had a hard time keeping it alive. Just let me know.

:blast: I'm pretty sure that happened.  It was a smiley with a flamethrower.  Saw-ry!

The frogspawn was doing great and then within 24 hours, crashed.  The monti had started bleaching, stopped, looked good, and then boom.  But again, now that I have RODi water in my tank, everything is looking so much better!

:blast: I'm pretty sure that happened.  It was a smiley with a flamethrower.  Saw-ry!

The frogspawn was doing great and then within 24 hours, crashed.  The monti had started bleaching, stopped, looked good, and then boom.  But again, now that I have RODi water in my tank, everything is looking so much better!

No problem. :) Just be glad they didn't cost you any money. Once you've stabilized, there's more.

Hey, looking good. 

You really can't run a reef tank in this area without RODI. I can't believe you could do that in miami! 

Tank is looking much much clearer than before. 

Hey, looking good. 

You really can't run a reef tank in this area without RODI. I can't believe you could do that in miami! 

Tank is looking much much clearer than before. 

Wait until you see it now.  I tested my water last night, and despite my every other night 10g water changes, it's still pretty high.  20's.  So I think this weekend I'm going to make enough water to do about a 40-50% water change at one time.  But despite the still less than ideal nitrates, the rocks have lost that brown color and all the corals are looking better with 1 exception.

I have 2 heads of torch.  1 head is doing great, the other (connected) is constantly deflated.  It was slightly disconnected from the skeleton when I got it, and has had days of looking better followed by just blah.  I've tried moving it to a low flow area, but I'm open to suggestions.  I'll post pics tonight. 

Your phosphates and nitrates will absorb into your rock, it won't be instant with just water changes, keep that in mind.