DuffyGeos 300g DT & 8 TANK FISH ROOM

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really Duff ?

Yes, I don't mess around. Drywall is easy, just cut and patch.

(edited)

Sweetness. Cutting holes and patching up. Love it.

Once you realize walls are just 2x4"s with this 1/2" thick chalk board that you can snap in two very easily it is not a big deal. Cut a perfect square, remove, do your work, put a piece of wood in back of it and drywall screw it to the existing wall on both sides of the hole so the wood goes over part of the hole, then screw the square cutout piece back in place, tape the joints using mud, let it dry, spread out the mud even wider, the wider and thinner the better, let dry, sand, mud again to correct anything, sand, prime, and paint.

Bingo!

Any home owner should know how to work on and repair their home......or be ready to pay someone to do it.  

Are you a home owner? ;) ;)

Of course plaster walls are a whole different game.

Edited by DuffyGeos

Drywall is moving along. We covered the floor to try and protect the stained concrete from all the drywall dust. Also still have the tank wrapped to attempt to keep it clean....ever though I want to rip it off and throw my kids in it!

Stands will be primed and painted, then I might even wrap them with composite and add moulding which is what I really want to do. Ceiling will also have crown moulding. It just adds a lot to a room in my opinion. You also don't have to finish the joints between the walls and the ceiling (which is a pain in the A**) since you will cover them over.

gallery_2633915_1398_58016.jpg

This picture and the next shows the taping and how you want to make it wide each coat. I am holding off on one section of the ceiling until I can cut a hole in the duct work and run a duct down right above the tank so I can push cool air (in the Summer) between the MH lights and the top of the tank.

gallery_2633915_1398_50025.jpg

A little different angle, but it shows the tape & mudding job on the joints of the sections of drywall. I had to pull out a couple outlet boxes (blue box)  after I decide on the frag table height. They would have been too low behind the tanks, so we just patched the holes and will raise them up a little, The back of the wall on the right is my storage room so it will be very easy to do.

gallery_2633915_1398_136314.jpg

This is the frag table. I have holes cut for where the pipes will come out of the overflows and for the returns. I had to plan out the joist spacing based on the hole locations since the tanks will be right next to each other. You can see in this picture where we had to pull out the electric boxes and raise them. I was not planning on having the table so high, but I decide to use a 180g glass tank as my saltwater mix tank and that will be under the table. To the right of this frag table is going to be a 160g plastic vertical water tank. This will be for the freshwater.

gallery_2633915_1398_93172.jpg

This is the opposite view in the room. The square in the center is the exhaust vent for the room so all the hot salty air will head out side and not rust my basement.

gallery_2633915_1398_758.jpg

One last view in the room shows the closet under the stairs on the far left with the trash bag and the small bucket that I use for an overflow on my 16gIM tank. I cut holes in the staircase (yes more drywall holes...not afraid :cool: ), then I ran a flex line down from the IM skimmer.  I drilled a hole in the side of the collection cup and installed a barbed fitting for the flex line that goes through a 2" conduit I installed in the wall, so any over flow goes down to Duffy's Locker....or small trashcan :tongue:.  That whole area is green boarded and I installed 2 recess LED lights. Not worried about PAR on those LED's!! :tongue: I am going to install a door so I can use that as storage.

gallery_2633915_1398_108763.jpg

Here is the standard out of the fish room picture I have been doing since I started.

gallery_2633915_1398_109474.jpg

This starts to show how the tank will be cantilevered over the wall into the gym. The green board will be just finished wall and painted yellow. The tank still needs to be slid all the way to the edge of the stand so it will stick out of the wall 8". The top 2 x 4's that follow the outline of the top of the tank will also be green boarded and painted yellow.

gallery_2633915_1398_24793.jpg

Kinda digging the ledge and overhang. But I will also enjoy the tank being pushed up as well, I'm sure.

It's so exciting when the dry wall goes up :)

Yea, you really start to get a feel for the space.

Kinda digging the ledge and overhang. But I will also enjoy the tank being pushed up as well, I'm sure.

I understand, but the finished product will be pretty cool I think :cool:

I designed the tank so you can see through both sides, since I assume I will spend half, if not more, of my time in the fish room. One of my favorite views on a tank is the length. This will allow me to see through 8' of water. The other reason is that starting at the drywall back to the other side corner of the tank, on both ends, is is blacked out will acrylic. I did this so you don't see the width of the wall or any of the return pipes on both skimmer ends. Just a cleaner look.

Looks good! Can't wait to see the final outcome!

Thanks Jack!  Neither can I! :laugh:

• 1 month later...

Finally got some time to get somethings done. Just tapped into the duct work so I can put 2 new registers into the fish room. One will be to add more air flow, and the other is extender from the ceiling and angled so that it blows 4" +/- over the tank down the length to help with air movement and cooling over the tank. Working on finishing the front wall where the tank is cantilevered, and working on ways to curve the corners of the stand below, and the wall above to match the curves of the tank corners.

I'm so impressed with this build.  Remind me to hire you as a contractor anytime I need anything done.  I'm pretty good at basic DIY work (I built an awesome bathroom with a standup shower, ledge, etc), but hiring you would definitely be easier!

I'm so impressed with this build. Remind me to hire you as a contractor anytime I need anything done. I'm pretty good at basic DIY work (I built an awesome bathroom with a standup shower, ledge, etc), but hiring you would definitely be easier!

it will be a 3 year project Ms."T" :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

it will be a 3 year project Ms."T" :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hey, Hey ,Hey!  The reason my project is going slowly is because we are slammed at work and I have to keep my clients projects moving along.

I'm so impressed with this build.  Remind me to hire you as a contractor anytime I need anything done.  I'm pretty good at basic DIY work (I built an awesome bathroom with a standup shower, ledge, etc), but hiring you would definitely be easier!

Thanks, but don't do work in DC.....used to about 10 years ago, but the permitting process and all the BS you have to go through is ridiculous. Parking, elevators, loading docks, tickets, commuting, and stolen equipment. It just wears on you. We did do the roof top garden for Covington & Burling at 1201 Pennsylvania Ave. Cool view of the White House one way,  and Capital the other.

Edited by DuffyGeos

Hey, Hey ,Hey!  The reason my project is going slowly is because we are slammed at work and I have to keep my clients projects moving along.

Thanks, but don't do work in DC.....used to about 10 years ago, but the permitting process and all the BS you have to go through is ridiculous. Parking, elevators, loading docks, tickets, commuting, and stolen equipment. It just wears on you. We did do the roof top garden for Covington & Burling at 1201 Pennsylvania Ave. Cool view of the White House one way,  and Capital the other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBupia9oidU#t=221

Edited by DCReefer1964

You do remember this is not a 90g plug and play project :cool:

Total water volumes:

DT- 300g

Frag tanks- 102g

Sump- 126g

total main system -528g

Freshwater storage - 165g

salt  water storage - 180g

3 (minimum) QT tank - 20g each = 60g

Other water in the room -405g

Total water in the room: 933g......I might have to add  68 gals of water in another tank just to break 1000g :tongue:

• 2 weeks later...

Knocking out some progress this week. Drywall is all up and primed. Floor drain is in with the rest of the concrete poured for the floor where we had to cut it out for tie-in to the drain. Ran silicone caulk in the gap between the floor, base plate, and greenboard. Installed composite baseboard with more silicone caulk at the joint between the floor and the baseboard. Started wrapping the 6" x 6" posts with Azek composite.

I think I am now waterproof.

Finished the drywall in the gym and installed the crown moulding and the baseboard. Now you can really see the cantilever, I love it.

Paint tomorrow, crown moulding on both ceiling levels in the fish room, and installed the door framing for the closet in the fish room. Should be able to install the neoprene pad for the DT and move the DT into place tomorrow after the sealer on the DT stand dries tonight. Then we can paint the frag tank stand tomorrow.

Pics this weekend I promise.