Honestly, member how many has or had red bugs?

fscbishop

Honestly, member how many has or had red bugs?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Honestly, how many members has or had red bugs? I know there is members out there that knowingly sell corals to people without letting them know, especially to rookies like myself. Member votes are not public

• I had them but nuked them with interceptor or equivalent
    • I have them and they do not bother me because my corals are doing fine
    • I have them and sold corals to people because it is not my problem
    • I have never had them

I've had them several times over the past 10 years or so since they were first discovered. Luckily, treatment with interceptor is effective in tank and results in low side effects assuming you can catch ornamental shrimp before treatment.

sent from phone. please excuse brevity.

I had them just recently.  I think it's the buyers responsibility to ensure they dip/qt anything going into their tank.  With that said, I would NEVER knowingly sell something and not disclose that tidbit of info.

My tank had redbugs (nuked now), currently has vermatid snails (I don't mind them), and small amounts of bubble algae (worse than red bugs imo).  I would go on a limb and say everyones tank suffers from one pest or another.

Had red bugs about ten years ago.  

Part of the problem is hobbyist do not know they have the pest.  You really have to look for them or a coral begins to show signs of infection.  I always keep a tri-color SPS in my system as an early warning system.

It would be nice if vendors disclosed whether they have pests, but you can not count on that.  Always assume the bad guys are trying to invade your system.  Dip, dip, dip, and QT if necessary.  

The good news is red bugs are not that bad, AEFW is the worst.  AEFW will test your fortitude.  

I like you currently have red bugs in my system. I am totally disappointed as I thought I have done everything to keep this from happening. I have dipped every coral I bought but one type of dipping does not kill or remove all pest. I have ordered the interceptor spectrum and currently in my first cycle of three to clear my tank. I have been doing a lot of research on the net and RC and opinions from others and I will start using the Bayer dip as this seems to be the one that kills all. I have notified those that have bought corals from me a few weeks back to check and make sure that they too have dipped their corals and or quarantined them. It is up to us who buy frags to make sure we dip or quarantine our frags to keep this from happening in our systems but pest always find a way. I'm not sure who I got them from and not blaming anyone but myself for not being more diligent about pest control but I can assure you I will dip and quarantine. Good luck in your fight with the red bugs.

I think it's probably safe to say, trust no one, dip everything.

I have had them although I have been using Bayer to dip to much success. Every coral weather the I see something on the coral or not gets dipped. I had once purchased a green acro (unknowingly) that had red bugs. I dipped it in Bayer and the red bugs just fell off when rinsing the coral and that was it.

Edited by SaltLife

I haven't had anything yet.....but I am sure its a matter of time....there is no escaping some of this stuff...I use bayer but I don't think it kills the eggs.. I am also uber picky on who I will buy things from though...I would rather pay more from a trusted source.  Besides I am too busy battling briopsis to worry about bugs.... :blink: seems like bugs would be easier to combat. 

I got the little red fleas as we type. Starting first interceptor treatment tonight.

Need to add a currently have and treating to the poll.

I have had them a few times, mostly caught them in the QT system. Only once in the display and every time it was quickly fixed with Interceptor.

I'll take red bugs any day over AEFW or Monti Nudies.

No sps so I assume no red bugs?

I've seen 3 aiptasia so far. I in my main 2 in my frag all have been nuked. Still uncertain about my DT but it's been over a year since I've seen one in it.

I've had my battles with GHA cyano and it's been months since I've seen any bryopsis but I've seen that too. So happy to have a frag/holding tank now.

Shocked that nobody has voted "I had them and sold my corals to people b/c it's not my problem" yet.

Lol...Isaac

I dont think they are a pest I have or have had...being I don't have any sps...

But hey...I'd be happy to share my nudis,lol though they died fairly quickly....

Shocked that nobody has voted "I had them and sold my corals to people b/c it's not my problem" yet.

I don't think someone would want to admit that. I got the red bugs from someone in the club.

(edited)

Haha I am shocked too

Edited by fscbishop

Well determined I had red bugs about 6 days ago. Treated and wiped them out last night. Then find out my tank is covered with red planaria flatworms. And all my coral is from wamas members and sponsors. Not blaming no one but myself. I will triple dip anything I get from now on. Thankfully my tank is full so I can't buy much or I would be setting up a coral qt system. Food for thought, don't think your to cool to get pests like I did. You see where it got me.

If you knew of someone selling corals and/or other things that came from their tank with known parasitic issues, is it your or my civic duty to inform the club?

Seriously.