Giant worm of death

cjeffers88

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thinking out loud here. Maybe remove the fish and main inverts. Then construct out of pvc a tunnel maze thing that is over 2' total and bait it with the smelliest food possible (maybe sardines). You could even put pieces at intervals so he keeps going in further then remove trap once he has fully left his burrow.

Sent from my toaster using tapatalk2

I'm always amazed that something like this can be hiding in a tank without being noticed. It's too bad you can't squirt him with clove oil to make him sleepy. Chiseling sounds like a plan. Or pull the rock out and shoot hydrogen peroxide in his hole?

Having had to deal with the same thing a few years ago is the exact reason I started my current tank with BRS dry rock. Good luck!

Wow "D" just read this thread. I know you love your setup as I, but pull the trigger and remove the rock and rebuild the structure. I have an additional Rubbermaid that you can use as long as you like. I know it sounds extreme but you will be better off in the end IMHO

Dang! I saw those things first hand in the wild while diving in Indonesia and man do the get HUGE! Best get him out now and good luck with it. Just an idea and not sure if it would work but could you use a turkey baster or something similar and squirt really hot/boiling water into the rock he hides in while in the tank to try and flush him out? I know some people use that with other pests occasionally. Something to thing about and maybe others can chime in before you go chiseling or taking your structure apart.

Wow. First of all your tank is gorgeous. Second, your worm is gross.  

Those pictures are amazing, seeing him munch on your coral like that. 

Best of luck getting him out with as little damage as possible. 

SInce some corals are likely to get broken have a post-bobbit frag sale  :rolleyes:

Wow. First of all your tank is gorgeous. Second, your worm is gross.  

Those pictures are amazing, seeing him munch on your coral like that. 

Best of luck getting him out with as little damage as possible. 

SInce some corals are likely to get broken have a post-bobbit frag sale  :rolleyes:

bad girl!!! LOL sit

I think it's neat, but not in your display tank. I hope your family member will take the time to observe it and see if they can offer more information about it than what we know!

creepy looking.  if i saw it exposed like that i would be inclined to cut it in half.

+1 I would rather see this beast die than another invert. If he dashes in the rock after fatal injury I would do a lot of water changes and buy extra inverts to feed on its carcus. The farther you chisel the farther away from the threat he will travel.

I wonder if you could grab it with a pair of forceps or something of the like, and just pull it out?

Love the pictures.  The red tint give makes it look like something from the move Predator.  Quite appropriate!

Here's another cool video- Bobbit worm vs. Scorpion fish and Octopus.

I wonder if you could grab it with a pair of forceps or something of the like, and just pull it out?

These like many of the bristleworms and such are segmented, and can break apart and become an entirely new worm....so when trying to eradicate people who accidentally pull them apart can end up with 2, 3, 5 or how many ever more worms! Uck

These like many of the bristleworms and such are segmented, and can break apart and become an entirely new worm....so when trying to eradicate people who accidentally pull them apart can end up with 2, 3, 5 or how many ever more worms! Uck

I kept trying to find information on this, but can't find anything factual on the subject of Bobbit Worms.

I kept trying to find information on this, but can't find anything factual on the subject of Bobbit Worms.

They get really big, and eat just about anything. Plus, they creep me the *#@! out!

Of course I can't find the blog...but a guy in Oregon that had a huge reef tank had one...and it did break...and make itself 2 very long worms afterwards...

Of course I can't find the blog...but a guy in Oregon that had a huge reef tank had one...and it did break...and make itself 2 very long worms afterwards...

Is this it? If so, it does mention that he wanted to keep the worm intact, but there is no mention of it becoming 2 worms when he ripped the tail off. I think he was just trying to gauge actual size.