Giant worm of death

cjeffers88

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We haven't had much of an opportunity to do anything with the tank at all this last week because our newborn (dec 31st) has been in the hospital for breathing problems. We are coming home today. The bobbit hasn't caused much damage lately besides for thinning the zoas and finishing off the GSP. I have been going home for an hour every day to feed the fish and do very basic maintenance. Last night, I slept at home and did much larger maintenance which has been put off since our son was born (he was a month early which we were not prepared for).

I am going to actively start trying to remove him tonight as we are finally coming home. I'm going to try a 3ft section of PVC with some mysis in one end, capped off. I'll tie fishing line to the other end and if I can catch him entering it and going all of the way in, I will yank it up and cap the other. If I can get him out without killing him, you can have him Zygote, I would much prefer giving him to someone who wishes to keep him alive.

I hope everything is better with your son. I have an idea of what you are going through. Our son was born at 33 weeks and had a collapsed lung. He is all better now.

Good luck with catching the bobbit, take pictures.

Sorry about your baby, I hope he recovers quickly.
Super good luck with the worm! Try and take photos if you can. When I told my dad about the PVC idea, he did have the suggestion of using clear tubing so you can see if he is in/how far/ etc.

Edited by Squishie89

Baby boy does not have pneumonia but we are not sure what he does have yet. We are back in the hospital.

1620855_10153787371750595_141210223_n.jp

I haven't spent much time at the house but I did snap some PE photos the other day while I was home to feed the tank.

1601032_10153787372570595_1947300688_n.j

1601101_10153787372415595_364064035_n.jp

1525042_10153787372815595_282932547_n.jp

1013317_10153787372660595_1627117583_n.j

923414_10153787372110595_1379817603_n.jp

On the bobbit front, I saw him poop and it poops my tang's logs to shame. He dropped about 30 nuggets into the flow of the water, each the size of a very swollen grain of rice. I have seen these all over my tank and had no idea where they were coming from.

Hope everything is OK with your son.

I don't mean to kick a dead horse here, and I have no actual experience with the bobbit, other than what I've read, but I don't think the PVC tubing will work, clear or not. From what I've read, the bobbit will extend from wherever it has made it's den, and munch and ****** from home. Have you actually seen it all the way out, from head to tail?

Keep the process documented, I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see what the outcome is.

To respond to the MRS. question ... I'm alright I've had my share of bumps and bruises during the pregnancy and honestly I couldn't care less about myself... Since the birth Nikola has been my world. Mostly stressed with what's going on in his health as well as our tanks ... We may have has another victim thanks to the boppit, one of our wrasses was found to have jumped and time of death we guess was after feeding (around the time the boppit comes out at night) :/

Sorry about your wrasse, I'm trying to figure out what I said that the spam filter picked out... It wasn't naughty !

Thoughts and prayers with Nikola and your family. Beautiful tank I hope some day to have one just like it. On a lighter note That bobbit log making factory sounds impressive, so impressive that I bet for a minute you weren't even mad.

Good vibes coming your way for a speedy recovery for the little one.

On the other front, since Rob wants this thing so much, I think you should have him come over and catch it for you.........bare handed.!!

On the other front, since Rob wants this thing so much, I think you should have him come over and catch it for you.........bare handed.!!

I'll gladly help with the removal process, but I aint gonna touch it.

Hope the docs figure out whats wrong with the little one soon....it always seems to hurt more when its the littlest ones who cant tell you whats wrong...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

It has been quite a while since I have posted on WAMAS. We let our membership expire many months back as we were barely on with the baby and all.

Baby boy is doing great:

10364116_10154474983675595_3174867852281

The bobbit worm is also doing great… oddly, his existence hasn't bothered me because he hasn't been eating any fish and has done only minimal damage to my corals which are growing at a pace beyond what he can ruin. I am very worried about my gold assessor basslet because his cave is very close to the opening of the bobbin's cave. Fortunately, we are finally in the process of an upgrade. We picked up a marineland 300dd a couple weeks ago. I figured I should post this all in here because it means that the bobbit is finally coming out of the tank and it is all you if you still want it Zygote2k.

Most recent shot of the tank:

10389562_10154477671070595_3635780111505