Motti's 265 inwall Display + Fishroom build

motti

Just came across this build. Fan-tas-tic! Please let me know if you ever need anything as I am in the area. Always happy to come by and oo and ahhh at your build!

Thanks :) hoping to get that tank wet soon, maybe we could swap some frags once I am done setting everything up.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks :) hoping to get that tank wet soon, maybe we could swap some frags once I am done setting everything up.

Ha the only thing I frag is the kenya tree, and I doubt you want that in your tank! However I can get you some brittle stars, stomatellas and limpets.

(edited)

I came across a nice post on RC last week, some guy tried buying the upgrade pucks for the radion G3, and he was able to find out the pinout of all the pins on the chip.

So, last night i've ordered an 'upgrade' to the g3 pucks, two chips for 150$, decided not to go with thee G3 Pro, because i couldn't really tell the difference beside the extra 4 leds. If it will work as well as it worked for that guy on RC, i'll be saving about 400$ on lights which is great. I'll post some pictures and write up as soon as they arrive hopefully some time next week.

Edited by motti

Motti- So feel free to use my tank for Beta testing with your controller web interface. ;)

I still don't know what I am going to do in that department.

How has that been coming along?

Motti- So feel free to use my tank for Beta testing with your controller web interface. ;)

I still don't know what I am going to do in that department.

How has that been coming along?

It's been coming along really slow unfortunately .. I kind of glad it does, because it gives me a little more time to think over things. so far the only 'control' i have is over the frag tank light. just simple arduino sketch that turn the lights on and off...  

incredible build...i feel like I'm running a biocube now...there is always sooo much more to learn in this hobby

just finish reading your build. alot of information here for me to learn. Thank you very much for sharing.

Had an update yesterday but I got a little frustrated with it not working do I didn't post it yesterday lol

I completed the electronics for the saltwater station tested everything on its own, and installed everything in the fish room only to find out that you can only run i2c communication line for short distances only, so running the line from the tank to the mixing station didn't work. Luckily I was able to find a breakout boArd with a special chip that enAbles the extension of the bus Line to up to 50m. Much more than what I need....

So some pictures with explanations...

Final Product:

Hacked dj lighting switch and the saltwater mixing module.

Posted Image

The inside of the outlet switch, I stripped everything out and installed one of the arduino relay boards from amazon/eBay. (~$10), wired everything up in normally closed position.

Posted Image

This is the i2c pin extender chip (mcp23017) which allows the control of up to 16 additions IOs by using only 2 wires., this will turn on and off the outlets on the power switch. I might add two float switches to it down the road if I find out the pressure transducers don't work as well. More on those soon...

Posted Image

The thing put together...

Posted Image

Saltwater mixing module... This "module" has 2 components to it, two pressure sensors which are designed to measure pressure differences and are normally used to measure liquid depth in chemical/fuel tanks etc. these sensors are good up to 15psi which is more than twice the height of water I will have in both mixing station. I don't have the chip name off the top of my head. These two chips are connected via airline tubing to the button of each tank. To have an accurate interface between the arduino and them I have used 12 bit ADC which gives me very high resolution. Don't have the part number but could check if anyone needs.

The second component of this module is 2 temperature sensors to measure the temp of both tanks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

On another note, my radion g3 "upgrade" kit arrived last night. Still awaiting on heat sink I ordered from rapidled and some connectors and wires to hook everything up. I did forget to order the new TIR lenses but they cost around 30$ for a pair. The kit came with an alen wrench, alcohol cleaning pad, tube of thermal compound and the two led pucks.

Posted Image

Wow..............and I need to ask my kids for computer help. Time for a patent!

When I got home today I had a package from digikey with the connectors and the header pins. After about half an hour or crimping tiny header pins and attaching them into the connector I was finally able to test the puck and I love it :)

Posted Image

Here are the color tests with my best guess for the color...

Posted Image

I am just glad there are pictures....I feel like i suddenly have the intelligence of a 4 year old

very cool build!!!

Yea, the pictures still didn't help me........The concept yes, but all see is pretty colored wires and computer boards, if that is what they are called. I am sooooo glad that you are going to be doing my computer tank monitoring system........wait, Motti you haven't said yes yet...oh well. ;)

Edited by DuffyGeos

Haha... Heat sink should come some time this week... Will hang that over the refugium for now. The problem with LEDs is that it is almost impossible to take good photos

Dry rock is finally in the tank, I put in one bag of sand in there (ocean direct original) I think I'll order two more 40lbs bags before I fill it up.

Posted Image

Messed up with the rock a little bit and scratches the front panel when few pieces fell down...

Bummer. Maybe Adam can give insight for buffing? Sucks to have to drain it though. Fwiw, rock work looks awesome!

It's still empty, ordered a buffing kit from amazon, will need to learn how to fix minor scratches any how :) better to practice on empty tank haha

Messed up with the rock a little bit and scratches the front panel when few pieces fell down...

Ouch! I hope they are not deep scratches.

(edited)

Moved the rock a little thanks to a private suggestion :)   pictures are a little dark... but well... it shows the point... going to have to upload them from my phone...    

6yrety9u.jpg

amyzemu4.jpg

bavy5a6a.jpg

8u3agavu.jpg

py2anagu.jpg

Edited by motti

Well, I went from liking your rock to loving your rock. Glad you got a "private" suggestion, lol. Nice now that there are different levels and lots of caves. You'll probably switch it up a billion times anyways as you go along.

looks like good aquascaping. how are you securing the pieces or is that later after a final design?

sorry to hear about your scratch. how bad is it? does it catch your nail? i dont know how you folks have the cajones to do acrylic for a display tank, i'm freaking out for you, haha!