Orion's Deep Blue 57 Gallon Rimless

Orion

don't listen to isaac...he has 2 rocks in a 150  :laugh:

3, remember!?

I suggest you keep it how you like it, you'll see it most!

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

step away from the tank....it really does look good...

don't listen to isaac...he has 2 rocks in a 150 :laugh:

you were just watching too much sesame street....good thing letter of the day wasn't H

LOL. My wife said the same thing to me yesterday. I took her advice, came back, and put that scape together.

LOL. My wife said the same thing to me yesterday. I took her advice, came back, and put that scape together.

behind every great man.....is the woman that got him there....

Great scape! Its light years ahead of what you started with lol.  Did you use any kind of epoxy or putty to stabilize the arch?  I get to try my hand at aquascaping my tank in the next few days...

Great scape! Its light years ahead of what you started with lol.  Did you use any kind of epoxy or putty to stabilize the arch?  I get to try my hand at aquascaping my tank in the next few days...

post it up so I can "bully you"  :rolleyes:

lol

post it up so I can "bully you"  :rolleyes:

lol

Oh the fun shall begin again..

I'll remember to bring my hardhat and bag of little chisels.

Great scape! Its light years ahead of what you started with lol. Did you use any kind of epoxy or putty to stabilize the arch? I get to try my hand at aquascaping my tank in the next few days...

I did not. At least not yet. It is very stable on its own though.

Posted Image

Water almost 100% clear.

Reactor installed and doing a test run with carbon for leaks.

Posted Image

Water almost 100% clear.

Reactor installed and doing a test run with carbon for leaks.

It appears that you added your sand after the tank was completely filled, but from your pictures you had hardly any cloudyness.  Did you siphon some of the water out before adding the sand?  What are your tricks?!

It appears that you added your sand after the tank was completely filled, but from your pictures you had hardly any cloudyness. Did you siphon some of the water out before adding the sand? What are your tricks?!

The majority of the sand I had on hand was pre-rinsed.

Take a garden hose, put sand in bucket, and then rinse. I even do that with the "live sand". I don't believe it's live anyway, just more expensive than dry sand.

Looks awesome! Just read through everything today. Question though, the egg crate on top of the baffle to the return section, is that removable? I was only wondering because I can see it acting as a pseudo algae turf scrubber and getting sections of the crate covered.

More like behind every insane man is the woman that drove him there!!

Let me run that by Bridgette...

tough guy

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Some updates -

I threw in a couple of frags from the 30 gallon to see how well they do under the new light.  So far so good, ill continue to monitor them, and adjust the light intensity as necessary.  I have the fixture at a decent height over the tank so the intensity peaks at 60% Channel A (Whites) and 100% Channel B (Blues).

I recently bought a container that was going to use for an ATO container, and it holds approx 7 gallons.  Judging by the current evaporate rate this will probably not last a week or more like I had hoped it would.  So the new plan is to run RO tubing to the garage from the sink where the RO/DI System is.  In the garage ill use a rubbermaid container to store ATO water along with a float valve to shutoff the water once it reaches a certain height.  From the container ill run a line of tubing through the wall to the Avast ATO System where it will top off the sump.  I'll only run the RO/DI system when needed to fill the ATO container as I don't want to run the system 24/7.  

Water changes.  Something I overlooked entirely during this build was the fact that a 5 gallon bucket is not even 10% of the total system volume for a water change.  Oops.  I have a spare rubbermaid container that will hold 15 gallons, and will buy a small dolly at Home Cheapo to put it under the container so I can wheel it on over to the tank.  This will be more than enough to do a 20% water change if I need to.

Going to let the system run for a couple of weeks while I work the kinks out before I transfer anything else over. That's all for now.

A barrage of tests were done a couple of days ago -

Salinity 1.025

Calcium 430

Alkalinity 10dkh

Mag 1400

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate undetectable

Phosphate 0.2 (due to ghost feeding rock)

These water parameters match the 30 gallon.

Pods - everywhere! The red scooter dragonet will be pleased.

Now I just have to find the time to transfer the livestock over once I get the ATO system up.

The transfer of livestock has started. Clownfish, scooter dragonet, and two sexy shrimp have been transferred over. 95% of the corals were cut, glued onto plugs, and then glued onto rockwork.

The rest of the livestock will be transferred on Sunday when the 30 gallon will be broken down.

Still trying to find the right white / blue combo for taking pictures.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks great.

FWIW, I try to take out as much of the blues as I can, and turn the whites up all the way.

Looks great.

FWIW, I try to take out as much of the blues as I can, and turn the whites up all the way.

Thanks for the tip. Finding this out as well.

Apex System is now up and running on the new tank along with the additional EB8. One issue I am having is the new EB8 will not read any amperage even with a hair dryer plugged in and running. I tried re-calibrating the amps, and reloading the firmware. Nada. Email sent to Neptune tech support to see if they can run some diagnostics on it. Minor annoyance, but if I spend $100 on a power strip it should work perfectly. Wouldn't you agree?

Fish seem happy so far in a bigger tank. Clowns are racing back and forth across the tank, and the scooter dragonet is feasting on pods which are all over the glass/rock. I am really glad I cycled the rock for three months before putting it in the display. Being patient in this hobby is key. Somehow a bristleworm got into the display even after dipping the acans in CoralRX for 15 minutes before I transferred them into the new tank. I thought I got them all. When I get back I'm going to hunt that sucker down. I know they are now considered to be a good scavenger to have, but I dislike them.

This weekend I am going to sell and take down the 30 gallon, I may add an MP40 for more flow in addition to the Jebao, and run a line from the RO/DI system to the ATO reservoir in the garage. Having the ATO reservoir in there will allow me to have a much bigger container so I can go 10-14 days without filling it back up. Filling it will be a breeze since I can just turn on the RO system, and let it fill up. No buckets. A float valve will be installed on the container to prevent a flood.