Orion's Deep Blue 57 Gallon Rimless

Orion

I bumped the table the BRS reactor was sitting on, and it fell on the garage floor. Shattered the left intake nozzle.

I emailed BRS to see what they have to say.

Posted Image

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor lighting, but the first coat came out really nice. One more and it should be done.

Posted Image

Nice! Plumbing holes to be done later? (I know we talked about one for electrical.)

They are already done including the ventilation hole for the fan. Took the picture an angle where you can't see them. I'll post a picture later.

Also decided to only put one fan in due to space underneath. There is a small gap between the doors where air can come through. Going to set up the fan so that it pulls air out of the stand.

You finished the screen top for this yet? Sorry if I missed it. That is a beautiful stand, I'm really excited to see this happen.

You finished the screen top for this yet? Sorry if I missed it. That is a beautiful stand, I'm really excited to see this happen.

Screen top is complete.

Here is what is lined up this week through the weekend -

Install under cabinet light

Drill one more hole in the stand for the electrical to go through

Plumb up the tank in the garage and let plumbing sit for 24hrs before adding water

Replace outlet with a GFCI

Install Vent fan

Fill up tank and sump in garage to check for leaks. Will also do a power failure check / clogged overflow scenario, and mark the Max water level in sump.

If everything checks out ok ill drain / disassemble plumbing and move it inside

Hang light fixture

Hopefully if everything goes to plan I will be filling it up inside the house with RO/DI and Salt on Sunday.

Aquascaping and sand early next week.

Even though the rock is cycled and ready to go I'll probably let the tank run a couple of weeks with nothing in it just to make sure everything is running ok before I start transferring livestock.

Really liking the stand.  Makes me wish that I started my stand from scratch.  Very clean cut and well done.  What type of wood did you use?

Really liking the stand. Makes me wish that I started my stand from scratch. Very clean cut and well done. What type of wood did you use?

Corsi1330 here on WAMAS built it. It's made primarily of 3/4" birch plywood.

Light installed inside stand. Going to hook it up to the apex so I can turn it on and off with my phone. Why not? :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Time to clean up the garage a little and let this paint cure for a couple more days.

Plumbed the tank up last night with the help of Shoelace. Thanks Ed!!

We were able to design and figure out a way to utilize two unions so the tank and stand can be moved separately. Will also be handy if I need to take anything apart for whatever reason.

Installed the PC fan this morning for ventilation. This fan moves a LOT of air. Maybe too much and would cause more evaporation than I would want. I can use the APEX and the OSC command to limit how often it comes on during the day. Will have to play with that to see how much humidity and moisture builds up over time inside the stand.

I'll do a leak test tonight on the entire system. Will report back if I encounter any. Plan is to let the tank run for 24hrs in the garage. If the leak test is successful I'll move everything inside tomorrow.

Pics

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I gotta' say, you made the right choice drilling and putting in the overflow instead, that's super clean, and so much better than Deep Blues gigantic stock one.

Now you just need to hang those lights from the ceiling and you'll be set!

I gotta' say, you made the right choice drilling and putting in the overflow instead, that's super clean, and so much better than Deep Blues gigantic stock one.

Now you just need to hang those lights from the ceiling and you'll be set!

They'll be hung from the ceiling once I move the tank over. The anchors that came with the light are not the best IMO. I'll have to make a run to Lowes tomorrow.

I am very happy so far with the build.

This took a lot of thought and careful planning over the last 3 months. Great to see it finally come together.

The system also passed the power failure test, and clogged overflow scenario.

Will drain the tanks tomorrow. move it inside, hang light, and start filling it with RO/DI.

Quick update...

Rearranged half the room because we didn't like the spot where we originally planned to put the tank.

Small leak was found behind the tank coming from the inside gasket of the bulkhead. Glass-Holes has two gaskets for the overflow. One on the outside and one for the inside.

I took the overflow off, cleaned up the area, and reseated the gasket.

Light has been hung.

Currently filling the system up with RO/DI! That 150gpd upgrade kit is going to come in hand!

While it's doing that I am going to start to clean up this giant mess....

Taking my ever so patient wife out to a nice dinner tomorrow. She can finally park her car in the garage again. :)