Orion's Deep Blue 57 Gallon Rimless

Orion

Score on the jawfish! Awesome, now let it grow and enjoy!

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

It's been about a week since I started dosing a small amount of kalk through the ATO, and both calcium and alkalinity have remained stable.

I have started to see spots of coralline algae starting to grow on the rock. It's neat how this tank is becoming so quickly established since the rock was cycled already. Going to start to add to the CUC soon. Thinking more cerith, dwarf cerith, nassarius, and maybe a few more hermits.

I have the following fish on order with Quantum -

McCosker's Flasher Wrasse (male)
Red Ruby Scooter Dragonet (male)
Dwarf Pygmy (Cherub) Angelfish

We'll see if I get an angel that nips or not..

Some pics

Coralline
vymyjazu.jpg

Jawfish
u5uqu6as.jpg

Polyp Extension after lights on
epusy3er.jpg

7apape8y.jpg

FTS
pyry5yse.jpg

Edited by Orion

Looking great! I'm jealous of your flasher wrasse. In my experience if I go out of my way for something that has a possibility of not being reef safe, it always falls on the not safe side, just my hand I guess. That sps looks happy!

(edited)

Looking great! I'm jealous of your flasher wrasse. In my experience if I go out of my way for something that has a possibility of not being reef safe, it always falls on the not safe side, just my hand I guess. That sps looks happy!

I want some type of 'open water' swimming fish with a lot of color, and I am hoping the flasher wrasse and pygmy angel fill that role.  The clowns tend to stay in one area of the tank, and the rest of the fish are bottom dwellers.  It's a roll of the dice with the Cherub, but from extensive reading they seem to be the most 'reef safe' of all the dwarf angels.

Edited by Orion

New fish!

Male McCosker's Wrasse

Posted Image

Pygmy Angel (Cherub)

Posted Image

Male Red Ruby Scooter Dragonet

Posted Image

FTS

Posted Image

The wrasse is doing great, and definitely the 'open water' swimming fish I was looking for with a lot of color. It's kind of funny the clownfish stopped hosting the corner of the tank, and are now out with the wrasse. Maybe they just needed a friend.

The Pygmy Angel is a tiny fish with a Napoleon complex. It likes to push the buttons of the other fish, but so far the angel has backed down every time. No coral or clam nipping - so far. It pecks at the rock all day. Not sure if it is eating algae, pods, or a combination of both. Will eat anything else I throw in the tank for food.

The Red Ruby Scooter is the only fish I am concerned about. I placed him in the refugium since he looks extremely thin, and the fuge is full of pods. So far I have offered him Rogger's, Ova, live baby brine w/selcon, and cyclopeeze. Hasn't eaten any of those yet. He barely moves around, but I did see him peck at the rock/sand a couple of times today. I hope he starts to eat more. Once he fattens up I'll place him in the display with the other scooter dragonet.

What pretty new fish! And I LOVE your new dragonet!

Me too. Still alive this morning. Will try some ova again later...

Bad news - Red ruby didn't make it. Wouldn't eat..Bummer.

Good news - tank water is finally 100% crystal clear. The water has had this haziness to it for a couple of weeks. Went away on its own. New fish are still doing well too.

The corals that I moved over from the other tank are now encrusting onto the epoxy / frag disks, and starting to grow again now that they are settled in.

Will be getting a few more new pieces at the meeting, and I think that will be it with livestock for awhile.

Bad news - Red ruby didn't make it. Wouldn't eat..Bummer.

Sorry to hear about your dragonet Orion...  It was a beautiful fish.

Edited by LanksTank

Finally got my kalk dosing dialed in. Calcium has now been stable at 450 and Alk at 8.4 for the last 5 days.

1.5tsp per gal is the magic number so far.

Graphs using AquaplannerPro on my iPhone.

Alkalinity

Posted Image

Calcium

Posted Image

The Hawkins Echinata was starting to lose tissue the last couple of days. I'm suspecting it's because the coral was in an area of very constant high flow. I moved it to a different area, and also moved the MP40.

Getting 4 different SPS frags at the meeting tomorrow. Will post pics once they settle in.

Fish all doing well, and eating like pigs. Reefcleaners order comes in today.

I had calcium and alkalinity holding perfectly until I added 6 new SPS frags from the meeting. Calcium fell only slightly to 440, but Alkalinity took a bit of a drop to 7.8 from 8.4.

Im getting a BRS 2-part kit this evening from a group buy, and I think I am going to start 2-part in addition to kalkwasser since the demand is starting to get high. My pH is low to begin with due to excess CO2 buildup in the house with the windows being shut, and kalk keeps it around the 8.15-8.25 range instead of around 7.8.

Pictures of the new frags

ORA Red Planet from gws3

Posted Image

ORA Frogskin from gws3 (Won in raffle)

Posted Image

Jason Fox Purple Polyp Monti from Scott711

Posted Image

Pink Orchid Acropora from gws3

Posted Image

I also have a Mystic Sunset frag from gws3, and a Rainbow Nasuta. Both have yet to color up though.

The tank is looking amazing! I love the aquascaping.

Thanks! This tank would not have been possible if I didn't have the help of a few members on here.

Thanks! This tank would not have been possible if I didn't have the help of a few members on here.

My entire tank is the same way.

FWIW, my Rainbow Nasuta took about 4-5 weeks to come around, but it was well worth the wait.

The Hawkins RTN'd on me, and I had to throw it out.  The other frags look really good though, and I can start to see some color now on the rainbow nasuta.  

I stopped kalkwasser dosing completely, and I am using 2-part exclusively now. It appears my pH is fine without it after all, and it stays between 8.05 and 8.15 during a 24hr period. 

There is some algae forming on the substrate and rock.  Sometimes it appears long and stringy, and I think it may be a little cyanobacteria.  I was feeding the tank a lot last week, and I am guessing that has something to do with it.  Going to try and siphon out as much as I can tonight when I do a water change, and really cut back on feeding.

I have can other thread going (re: ich outbreak), but will start posting back in this one. So I can keep track of things easier.

Yesterday all the fish were removed from the display, and placed into a 20 gallon quarantine tank. The fish will be treated with Cupramine for 21 days. Biggest concerns right now are keeping them fed, and keeping a close eye on ammonia levels.

The display will remain fallow for a 60 day period to allow the parasite to die with no host.

So far the 2 clowns and Pygmy angelfish seem fine in QT. The Jawfish and wrasse are very stressed, and sitting in a corner behind some PVC.

The goby hasn't eaten in a few days, and looked a little rough before I put him in QT. Not sure if he will make it.

Going to try and feed some frozen later today, and then do a 5g water change to siphon out any uneaten food and detritus.

I thought the two clowns were doing well until I turned on the light earlier today. Completely covered in ich. Looked like someone took table salt and put it all over them. Came back down an hour later, one was dead, and the other was barely alive. Had those two clowns since they were babies a year and a half ago.

I knew there would be bumps in the road with this new build, but didn't think it would be like this.

Some good news - Jawfish, Wrasse, and Angel are eating PE Mysis soaked in selcon. They are also starting to venture out when the light is on.