Can I visit your reef?

adamgoldberg

Hi!

I'm at the base of the learning curve, reading lots on the net and seeing cool pictures of what folks have done... but aside from staring at large scale setups at LFS, I haven't really seen a 'reasonable' newbie reef.

I'm tempted by something nano, but the cost difference between a nano setup (with skimmer, etc) doesn't seem to be all that different from a large, inexpensive tank with a small inexpensive tank as sump...

Anybody have either a nano reef, a hobbled together with DIY sump, or both I could come by and see/talk with you about?  (I'm in Fairfax, near Petland, but am willing to drive quite some distance)

Thanks!

You are welcome to stop by sometime, although I'm a bit of a drive for you, as I live in Hagerstown, Md. While I don't have a nano with a sump, I do have an AIO 34g Solana, 75g reef with sump (not DIY) and a completely DIY frag system in my basement. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

once you figure out what kind of build best suits you, or even before then, paying the membership dues and becoming a member will help you greatly not only through the crazy awesome deals and freebies on great gear to get you going affordably but for the member-only discussions threads as well. g'luck and welcome!

You can come over anytime you like, Of course I live on Long Island NY like 500+ miles from you

I just passed ya this morning. Was in a rush, but thought about dropping you a line! Next time.

Sorry to be odd....my wife has some family with a really good friend somewhere in NoVA named Adam Goldberg too. I would have been obligated to let that Adam come see my tank. Now, I'm just being nice. If you ever head down 95 towards Potomac Mills then let me know. I'm a "cobbler" and have a 46gallon if you want some thoughts regarding putting things together on a budget. For instance, invest in what will make you successful and what livestock you really love...pinch pennies on the other things.

Worth the $

-RODI unit....or a good convenient source for some RODI water (if you stay nano)

-bulbs

-healthy fish

-fish food

-the centerpiece corals

Where I've normally saved money:

-tank (used), join WAMAS and watch the for sale threads

-autotopoff.com and aqualifter pump

-water circulation pumps, you be smart about flow and still be cheap

-lighting fixture - you can go so many ways here and also grab gently used...but look for tank coverage and desired intensity based on coral needs. Beyond bulb info, that normally means appropriate optics/reflectors (t5ho, get individual bulb reflectors)

-sump - can be DIY, but used may work out too

-aquarium controller - Neptune's AC series can be found for reasonable $ if you want some automation...better to buy early before you spend $ on light timers only to toss those later

-corals - frag fest at WAMAS or member deals (again, join wamas for meetings and to see the for sale threads)

I'm in warrenton..30 minutes from you. I run a pretty simple setup that youre welcome to check out

Wanted: a few energetic WAMAS members to lead a beginner class / introduction to reefkeeping project similar to the efforts done in the past. SEE herehttp://wamas.org/forums/topic/11750-intro-to-reefkeeping-2

The club can provide some assistance for the host(s) for snacks & drinks. 

Please contact one of the officers via PM or email to officers@wamas.org if you are interested & have time to help put a program together.

• 2 weeks later...

What ever happened to WAMAS Tank Tours ?

It sure helped me with I got started.

Never heard of this, sounds like it would be a good idea since I'm at the beginning also.  H-E-double hockey sticks just turning on the pump had be nervous the first time since I've never plumbed anything in my life and am pretty paranoid about busting a leak.

• 3 months later...

Tagging along with this thread. Only know one person that has established tanks. Would love to see more in person. LFS only has three which I've looked at for cumulative hours and they have unlimited resources to set up and maintain. If be interested to see other tanks and learn anything I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well if anyone new is interested they are more than welcome to see my 28 Gallon Biocube, mostly SPS. Filtration is Skimmer and Media Reactor, dosing Kalkwasser via dosing pump. Located in Sterling, just PM to see when I'm available. 

I'll join in as well... Mine is going to be a fresh Upgrade, so nothing to spectacular, but would love to talk about any aspect... :). Anyone else close, maybe we'll do a Tank Tour. :)

Edit: Located in Sterling, VA Also...

Edited by TheyCallMeMr.703

I'm in tysons corner. I have moved way too fast in the hobby in the past year.  Putting together my 3rd connected tank set up at the moment (Hopefully the final one for a while). Thinking about shutting down my 2nd 4 tanks to one sump system. Also have a biocube 14 with a seahorse, which I will soon shutdown to upgrade. Welcome to come check it out.