What is it about this hobby....

YHSublime

It just dawned on me that I was talking about setting up a pico, after starting a 150 as well as a 60 gallon to boot. And I thought, what the H-E-double hockey sticks is wrong with me? Why do I want to keep setting up all these tanks? Why do I want an aquarium in every nook and cranny of my life?

I realized that for me, it’s enjoying the challenge. The challenge to simulate an environment in a closed condition. Although there are variables that I can’t control, I still decide how to shape, add and subtract if needed, and build within my box. I think the most exciting part is aquascaping. Deciding sand, what type of rocks, how to put them all together. And then deciding what you’re going to keep in it, so many choices! I often tell my friends for me, corals are like an aquatic garden. It’s like building your own little beautiful world, and maintaining it. I also love learning about how things work. I recently worked with PVC for the first time, something I would have never done without having to plumb the tank. Learning water chemistry, and cycling processes, it is the science I have started to enjoy with age, that if you even mentioned to high school me I wouldn’t have listened.

And I don't get it, I've been bitten bad, why is nobody else?! My other half doesn't understand, or care for it, but she loves to watch it. My friends don't get it. There's got to be a reason:

So what is it that makes everybody else so afflicted?

Seems there is a constant progression in challenges. Not necessarily harder each time, but changes nonetheless. Next stop, breeding!?! 

Just always consider yourself a noob, and you will always be open to learning something.

Yep. This hobby sure is addicting. I have had aquariums for 20 years now, and all were freshwater until last year. Always thought saltwater was too difficult to maintain, and now here I am with a 30 gallon mixed reef that's thriving.

I like to tinker with things, and with aquariums (fresh or salt) the variables are endless. That's why it's addicting to me.

Just have to remember to only change one variable or two at a time, and not often. :)

Edited by Orion

I did freshwater for 20 years before switching to saltwater in 2006, when my exboss gave me his 55g salt setup because his wife got a new china cabinet and it was going where his tank was.  I have found at this point that I prefer bigger tanks just for the stability.  That being said, if I had the money, time and sanity I would have more tanks than I currently do just because I enjoy them.

Just ask Hilary if there is such a thing as too many tanks :)

Seems there is a constant progression in challenges. Not necessarily harder each time, but changes nonetheless. Next stop, breeding!?! 

Just always consider yourself a noob, and you will always be open to learning something.

That is sound wisdom. In my outside this hobby world I tend to be a know it all, something I have been working my whole life to curb. Something in me wants to have the answer!

There is also the obvious, our aquariums are awesome to look at. I get lost for hours in mine. I would notice if one thing was out of place, where as most of my friends wouldn’t notice if I changed my rockwork!

I like that people enjoy looking at the tank. I enjoy that I enjoy talking about it.

I really enjoy reading about all of the things that people are doing and have done, from so-called "ghetto" rigs that still are very successful, to the huge systems where the owner has to climb in to clean the panes.

Related to reading: I like learning. I'm constantly reading, whether it's an old organic or inorganic chemistry book, or a math textbook, or engineering book, it's just something I do. I also read histories and biographies. (I'm reading the autobiography of Frederick Douglass now. It'll open your eyes if you've not read it. Available as a freebie for your Kindle.)

I'm a tinkerer and that's an enjoyable aspect, too. I get a kick out of seeing the diversity in my tank - the animals there that I didn't intentionally put in there, but which have thrived and reproduced. (This includes pods, snails, worms, etc.)

I enjoy watching my fish "beg" - recognizing me over others that come into the room (even if we're both standing side by side in front of the tank, they'll follow me begging to be fed). Just like I can recognize them as individuals, they seem to be able to recognize the differences between people on the dry-side of the pane.

And, last but not least, I enjoy the people in the hobby, too. (My wife refers to you all as my "fish friends.") If it weren't for this community, who knows if I'd still have a tank. It certainly wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable. Thankfully, that's a hypothetical that I don't need to speculate about.

Who here has been divorced because of the tank?  :sad:  I'm pretty dang near close!  I need to stop messing with my tank so much but it's so much fun!  Whenever my partner and I get in an argument, most times I say "at least I'm not at the bar drinking all night."

Hello, my name is Frank and I'm a fish-tank-aholic.

I used to have 10+ tanks (freshwater) of various size prior. After I got married, I gave away one by one and until only 2 tanks remain. Then, a couple damselfish (YES DAMSELS!) got me interested in saltwater. So, I got a 10G half-moon set up for a few damselfish and then all break loose and converted my 125G...thereafter...it got a bit out of control :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: .

Sooo...every time I see fish related stuff @ a bargain, I buy and buy and buy!!! Then, I thought about it or my wife nagged about it, so I sell!! sell!!! MOSTLY because of nagging...shhh!! Actually, thankfully that my wife keep me in check...otherwise I would probably have a fish store in my house.

I started back in High School with my interest in tanks...my biology teacher kept lion fish in our class room in a 75g tank....and when he was away one one kid decided to feed them skittle...turns out skittles don't kill lions...or foul the water to badly,lol

Then had a great professor in college, who was my marine biology and ecology teacher, who really brought it home,,,,with passion for diving and reefs....

It's not a hobby for me but a way of life, I have always had a tank and that is like almost 64 years or as many years as I could stand up on my own two feet and use a credit card. Of course they didn't have credit cards so I had to use the ATM

I really enjoy having such a beautiful little world in my house. I have always thought of my tank as a living piece of art. It is the focal point in my living/dining area and I spend hours every day tinkering and checking on all the little critters.

It's not a hobby for me but a way of life, I have always had a tank and that is like almost 64 years or as many years as I could stand up on my own two feet and use a credit card. Of course they didn't have credit cards so I had to use the ATM

:laugh:

I did freshwater tanks for nine years before going into saltwater which I've been doing now for 22 years. I have learned so much because of this hobby and I doubt I will ever give it up completely. I will admit it is an addication for me and over the years I have done all the classic signs of being an addict. Like spending more money on my current tank than I did on the wife's engagement ring. Recently I cut a family vacation trip short by one day because I wanted to get home as I was worried about my blueface angel that had an infection when we left.

Recently I cut a family vacation trip short by one day because I wanted to get home as I was worried about my blueface angel that had an infection when we left.

I'm going to Hawaii soon and I am thinking of bringing my fish with me, they will enjoy swimming around the natural reefs for a while. :cool:

Oh Paul, that would be so great...and then they come back when called and you just take them back home?

That part I am still working on.

Our hobby may act as an effective creative outlet and stress reliever for most. Sometimes, though, it can take over our lives, essentially becoming an addiction and I've seen people on here that have gotten into financial troubles and even relationships ending because of their tank. Five serious signs to tell if you’re addicted to your hobby and need to step back some.

1. You distance yourself to participate in your hobby

If you find yourself turning down family invitations or routinely isolating yourself from family members to perform a water change, drive to a WAMAS social, or pick up frags, you might have an addiction. A hobby should act as an activity to indulge in when you have leisure time or when other socializing is not possible, not as an excuse to lock yourself in your fish room and test your calcium levels.

2. You put your family finances at risk to indulge your hobby

Shopping for fish and corals are fine when discretionary income is being spent. But when loans are taken out to renovate for the new fish room or you have a Gem Tang on six month layaway and savings are being depleted, it’s time to reconsider the level you are willing to assume.

3. You are depressed without your hobby

A feeling of missing your tank when you are unable to see it is normal. Maybe you can’t wait to go frag some corals when the new frag plugs and glue arrive in the mail. But feeling like life is not worth living without having your hands in the tank indicates that you have developed an unhealthy addiction.

4. You avoid responsibilities to pursue your hobby

Have you called in sick to work or forgotten to pick up your children from school because someone was giving away a fish and you had to grab it before someone else did? If so, it may be time to seek professional help.

5. You become angry when your hobby isn’t successful

Everyone experiences disappointment and regret over bad situations. But when you find yourself feeling intense rage over failings in your QT process or slow growth rates, it’s time to take a good hard look in the mirror. Hobbies are meant to improve your mood, not detract from it.

My personal rule is one tank at a time.  Keeps me involved, but not tooooo involved.

I like the difficulty associated with saltwater tanks and neat colors.  I've also realized colors in pictures do not always exist, and you have to be realistic about what success is in this hobby.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Hi I'm Marisa and I'm a saltwater addict. My problem is not getting rid of a fish that doesn't get along, "well, better give it it's own tank!" My excuse now is the rest are all quarantine tanks... At least I'm down to 3...

lol...and that is why i started my 5g pico tank...thinking a fish was eating my sexy shrimp...i had 2 left...so started the pico...added a few more shrimp then found out why they were missing...cannabalistic sexy shrimp,lol...

now back to the big tank when i tranfser to the 150...

but thinking about the cookie jar still for some of my zoas and frogspawn,lol

I like that people enjoy looking at the tank. I enjoy that I enjoy talking about it.

I really enjoy reading about all of the things that people are doing and have done, from so-called "ghetto" rigs that still are very successful, to the huge systems where the owner has to climb in to clean the panes.

I like learning.

I get a kick out of seeing the diversity in my tank - the animals there that I didn't intentionally put in there, but which have thrived and reproduced. (This includes pods, snails, worms, etc.)

I enjoy watching my fish "beg" - recognizing me over others that come into the room (even if we're both standing side by side in front of the tank, they'll follow me begging to be fed). Just like I can recognize them as individuals, they seem to be able to recognize the differences between people on the dry-side of the pane.

And, last but not least, I enjoy the people in the hobby, too. (My wife refers to you all as my "fish friends.") If it weren't for this community, who knows if I'd still have a tank. It certainly wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable. Thankfully, that's a hypothetical that I don't need to speculate about.

YES. And yes, yes, yes, yes. yes.

Actually, thankfully that my wife keep me in check...otherwise I would probably have a fish store in my house.

This.

I can't hold a flame to the amount of time you've been living (this is in reference to it not being a hobby, not a stab at your age ;)). I enjoy your carefree "if it works, it works, and if it doesn't, it doesn't" attitude. I think we all stress a bit to much, and you've managed to keep it lighthearted.

I really enjoy having such a beautiful little world in my house. I have always thought of my tank as a living piece of art. It is the focal point in my living/dining area and I spend hours every day tinkering and checking on all the little critters.

Yep, that's a good way to look at it. And knowing that you had a big part in it...

over the years I have done all the classic signs of being an addict. Like spending more money on my current tank than I did on the wife's engagement ring. Recently I cut a family vacation trip short by one day because I wanted to get home as I was worried about my blueface angel that had an infection when we left.

Whoops! She has probably done the math by now, and from what I can gather, she's still sticking around (didn't you have her diving in your tank a couple months ago!?) I just recently took a vacation as well, and although it wasn't cut short, I did take an extra day off to pretty much prepare for my absence.

Our hobby may act as an effective creative outlet and stress reliever for most. Sometimes, though, it can take over our lives, essentially becoming an addiction and I've seen people on here that have gotten into financial troubles and even relationships ending because of their tank. Five serious signs to tell if you’re addicted to your hobby and need to step back some.

1. You distance yourself to participate in your hobby

If you find yourself turning down family invitations or routinely isolating yourself from family members to perform a water change, drive to a WAMAS social, or pick up frags, you might have an addiction. A hobby should act as an activity to indulge in when you have leisure time or when other socializing is not possible, not as an excuse to lock yourself in your fish room and test your calcium levels.

2. You put your family finances at risk to indulge your hobby

Shopping for fish and corals are fine when discretionary income is being spent. But when loans are taken out to renovate for the new fish room or you have a Gem Tang on six month layaway and savings are being depleted, it’s time to reconsider the level you are willing to assume.

3. You are depressed without your hobby

A feeling of missing your tank when you are unable to see it is normal. Maybe you can’t wait to go frag some corals when the new frag plugs and glue arrive in the mail. But feeling like life is not worth living without having your hands in the tank indicates that you have developed an unhealthy addiction.

4. You avoid responsibilities to pursue your hobby

Have you called in sick to work or forgotten to pick up your children from school because someone was giving away a fish and you had to grab it before someone else did? If so, it may be time to seek professional help.

5. You become angry when your hobby isn’t successful

Everyone experiences disappointment and regret over bad situations. But when you find yourself feeling intense rage over failings in your QT process or slow growth rates, it’s time to take a good hard look in the mirror. Hobbies are meant to improve your mood, not detract from it.

Good list. And actual signs of addiction(s)

My personal rule is one tank at a time.  Keeps me involved, but not tooooo involved.

I like the difficulty associated with saltwater tanks and neat colors.  I've also realized colors in pictures do not always exist, and you have to be realistic about what success is in this hobby.

I think that one tank at a time is a great rule. It gives you a "don't bite off more than you can chew" perspective.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Hi I'm Marisa and I'm a saltwater addict. My problem is not getting rid of a fish that doesn't get along, "well, better give it it's own tank!" My excuse now is the rest are all quarantine tanks... At least I'm down to 3...

Welcome, Marisa. You're at home now :rolleyes:

And who hasn't slightly bent the truth a little when answering, "how much did you pay for that xxxx?".  

We are all addicts.....  

Guilty.

My answer to that was, "It's always been there" or "It was just a trade"

Both classic go-to's.