What is it about this hobby....

YHSublime

I don't think I am a reef addict.  But it is hard climbing out of the tank every morning after I wake up, and when I do, I get salt water all over the floor

I don't think I am a reef addict.  But it is hard climbing out of the tank every morning after I wake up, and when I do, I get salt water all over the floor

:laugh:

And who hasn't slightly bent the truth a little when answering, "how much did you pay for that xxxx?".  

We are all addicts.....  

hahaha..... so true.

Our hobby may act as an effective creative outlet and stress reliever for most. Sometimes, though, it can take over our lives, essentially becoming an addiction and I've seen people on here that have gotten into financial troubles and even relationships ending because of their tank. Five serious signs to tell if you’re addicted to your hobby and need to step back some.

1. You distance yourself to participate in your hobby

If you find yourself turning down family invitations or routinely isolating yourself from family members to perform a water change, drive to a WAMAS social, or pick up frags, you might have an addiction. A hobby should act as an activity to indulge in when you have leisure time or when other socializing is not possible, not as an excuse to lock yourself in your fish room and test your calcium levels.

2. You put your family finances at risk to indulge your hobby

Shopping for fish and corals are fine when discretionary income is being spent. But when loans are taken out to renovate for the new fish room or you have a Gem Tang on six month layaway and savings are being depleted, it’s time to reconsider the level you are willing to assume.

3. You are depressed without your hobby

A feeling of missing your tank when you are unable to see it is normal. Maybe you can’t wait to go frag some corals when the new frag plugs and glue arrive in the mail. But feeling like life is not worth living without having your hands in the tank indicates that you have developed an unhealthy addiction.

4. You avoid responsibilities to pursue your hobby

Have you called in sick to work or forgotten to pick up your children from school because someone was giving away a fish and you had to grab it before someone else did? If so, it may be time to seek professional help.

5. You become angry when your hobby isn’t successful

Everyone experiences disappointment and regret over bad situations. But when you find yourself feeling intense rage over failings in your QT process or slow growth rates, it’s time to take a good hard look in the mirror. Hobbies are meant to improve your mood, not detract from it.

This is a GREAT post. I hope that it was #10,000 because it's incredibly worthy of that milestone.

This is a great post! Everyone should print it out and laminated next to the fish tank!

Our hobby may act as an effective creative outlet and stress reliever for most. Sometimes, though, it can take over our lives, essentially becoming an addiction and I've seen people on here that have gotten into financial troubles and even relationships ending because of their tank. Five serious signs to tell if you’re addicted to your hobby and need to step back some.

1. You distance yourself to participate in your hobby

If you find yourself turning down family invitations or routinely isolating yourself from family members to perform a water change, drive to a WAMAS social, or pick up frags, you might have an addiction. A hobby should act as an activity to indulge in when you have leisure time or when other socializing is not possible, not as an excuse to lock yourself in your fish room and test your calcium levels.

2. You put your family finances at risk to indulge your hobby

Shopping for fish and corals are fine when discretionary income is being spent. But when loans are taken out to renovate for the new fish room or you have a Gem Tang on six month layaway and savings are being depleted, it’s time to reconsider the level you are willing to assume.

3. You are depressed without your hobby

A feeling of missing your tank when you are unable to see it is normal. Maybe you can’t wait to go frag some corals when the new frag plugs and glue arrive in the mail. But feeling like life is not worth living without having your hands in the tank indicates that you have developed an unhealthy addiction.

4. You avoid responsibilities to pursue your hobby

Have you called in sick to work or forgotten to pick up your children from school because someone was giving away a fish and you had to grab it before someone else did? If so, it may be time to seek professional help.

5. You become angry when your hobby isn’t successful

Everyone experiences disappointment and regret over bad situations. But when you find yourself feeling intense rage over failings in your QT process or slow growth rates, it’s time to take a good hard look in the mirror. Hobbies are meant to improve your mood, not detract from it.

Hi! Im brian and Im an aquaholic. Im also not going to lie. a couple times. I might have taken a lick of saltwater before taking a shot of tequila. My hands most often have salt residue on them. Sometimes I kinda feel like a nerd when my friends come over. Sometimes they barely glance at the tank and I wonder to myself how that is possible.

I still get excited when my fish spawn as this cute little mandarin is about to do, even though they spawn all the time.  I don't know why I get excited, but it never seems to get old.

b9d33ff9-7593-4565-8706-d999c6132d71_zps