Smallreefs' 150g upgrade!

kim - you can borrow my motorized pvc shears. cuts through 1" pipe in less than 3 seconds perfectly straight and cleeeeeean. no burs to cleans, no vacuuming, no problem. shoot me a PM if interested.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I still have had no time to do my plumbing! Ughhhh I really wanted this darn thing up and running for the meeting but doesn't look like it...I've been working 6 day weeks and traveling to another store now to help....

I still have had no time to do my plumbing! Ughhhh I really wanted this darn thing up and running for the meeting but doesn't look like it...I've been working 6 day weeks and traveling to another store now to help....

Well, BOO to all that jazz.

Will you be able to make the meet?

• 2 weeks later...

Lol... Yesterday was my only full day off other than the meeting day(where I had to leave early for a friends retirement party that we were at till 9:30 at night), since September!

But I'm off again Sunday so I'm totally stoked about finishing filling this thing up and getting it pumping!

I'm making water every waking hour until then so I can actually fill it,lol

okay ao question for everyone....if im putting a union coming from my pump up to my tee which side is the side that the flat o-ring side needs to be on? the top by the tee or the bottom attached the to pump? or does it matter? and should i still use teflon tape just incase...especially since it will only be 3 incha above my pump?

i'm not sure i got that correct but don't use teflon tape on threaded PVC fittings. and you don't need to seal fittings in your sump, friction fit is fine. i prefer to have the end that unscrews on top as it makes maintenance slightly easier than an end that is constantly sliding away from you - use gravity to your advantage.

Edited by monkiboy

I use pipe dope for threaded PVC instead of teflon tape.  Not every type is certified as for plastic threads, but some are and it will be printed on the tube.   

I do unions the same way as Marco.  The moving part goes on the top so I'm not trying to hold it up while turning it to seal.

I also put clear silicone grease on all o-rings such as the one in the union, but I'm a bit over-zealous about that kind of stuff, and I hate redoing stuff because of leaks.

yeah my husband said the silicone grease...ive never used it but whatever...if it makes him happy...

this is my first hard plumb from my pump..so ive never had to worry about pressure before...everything else that ive hard plumbed for my tank has always been the return stuff...its hard to make that stuff leak unless you just dry fit it all together,lol

so hopefully now that i have the parts, i can get everything glued tomorrow and filled on saturday morning to run the leak test sunday...and see where my sump water level lays (lies?)...and my husband is deathly afraid of power outages becuase of my last big tank i used a very undersized sump..and always had water siphoning down :( a few too many times of water on the new floor...

You're taking as long as I am.

Lol it feels like it! But really...I've already taken longer, cuz mines been in my house for over a month with water in it....

Sad to think of it that way...

Kim, really clean plumbing. Your patience has showed! I'm excited to see this thing going!