Smallreefs' 150g upgrade!

Just pulled the trigger on a used 150g acrylic tank with nice wood stand and canopy.

This is the same size as my last 150g which is my favorite for 'scaping.

This is my previous tank, though a FOWLR and a few soft corals, this new tank will be a continuation of my current 50g reef, with room to grow and get a tang or 2 now!

7e489fc9_vbattach209023.jpg

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Current fish list-

Lamarck's angel

Chalk bass

Bangaii cardinal

2 perc's

Tomato clown

Jawfish

Shrimp goby

And a Midas blenny

Was thinking about a few new larger fish.....

Kole tang, Desjardin tang, foxface, these are my favorite for big fish

Then also thinking about some anthias, firefish, and a reef safe wrasse possibly?

I'm going to be adding some more rock, but not a huge amount, though this new tank is 8 inches taller than my current set up...

It'll take a month or so to get ready after we pick it up on Sunday and being that I want to get one of the waveline pumps and 2 new d120's....I'm going to start transferring stuff once I have everything set and ready...a friend is giving me a 75 g tank that I will have to cut for baffles for to turn into a sump if I can use it...I'm also keeping my skimmer from my current 50g being that its rated for a 150g...

Awesome. Will surely follow this thread. Guess I will get to learn a bunch from this setup.

It's the same as my last 150g

60x24x24

Love these dimensions! I pick it up Sunday and can't wait....I've already scheduled off for the Labor Day weekend to get it cleaned and stained darker, since the one I'm getting has an oak stand and canopy....get the sump done hopefully in the next few weeks so I MIGHT be able to get this set up Sept 2nd!!!

I got it home!!!!!

and I have to say that my husband was right...we should have driven both vehicles out to get it...

We could only fit the tank and canopy in his trailblazer...so then I had to head back out with my truck and get the stand,lol

image-12.jpg

image-11.jpg

And doors off and ready to start sanding!

Working 6 days a week for the coming future until my boss is able to come back to work or?

So I have 2 short days a week and that should allow me time to work on this a bit.....

The only way I do that is if I get a crosshatch pair....and we'll I think my husband would freak out if I spent $700 ish on a pair of fish, at least until were in our last house,lol

And 150g is still small...in comparison to the Great Barrier Reef? Lol

i picked up some stain...trying Verathane this time and spraying on a coat of poly on top?

gonna do some sanding tomorrow and hopefully get 1 coat on all surfaces atleast..

and then another hopefully thursday, if i need another for the darkness i want...

then just gotta start working on cleaning the tank! one thing to complete each week and hopefully it will be ready to go by sept. 15th...

I'm not a lover of polyurethane as a finish, IMO, turns finishes yellow.  I used this:

http://www.amazon.com/Minwax-23333-Polycrylic-Protective-Finishes/dp/B000C02AO2/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1376435017&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=minwax+poluacrulic

on my cabinet, goes on clear and dries clear.  Kinda expensive tho.....

i picked up some stain...trying Verathane this time and spraying on a coat of poly on top?

gonna do some sanding tomorrow and hopefully get 1 coat on all surfaces atleast..

and then another hopefully thursday, if i need another for the darkness i want...

then just gotta start working on cleaning the tank! one thing to complete each week and hopefully it will be ready to go by sept. 15th...

What color are you going for. I chose Red Mahogany Stain. Hopefully you will also paint the interior of the stand as well ? LMK I will be bring home some white 2 part epoxy paint to add a coat over the KILZ sealer. ( A little over kill ? ) Do you think  :ohmy:

Sep. 15th, huh :)

I'm wondering if I'll be ready by then. Looks like you've got some scraping to do! Congrats on your new tank, I'm sure you're thrilled.

I'm staining it kona....it's almost espresso ...plus I'm using oil based...I HATE water based on the stand/canopy

It will show drips badddddd

So the spray poly is just to seal the stain since there is none built in, I usually use the oil based min wax with poly built in...but the last stand I did with it needed 4 coats since it was dark......ugh....it was a lot of staining and steel wooling....

And the tank and stand I the 1st post was my 1st build and oil based paint...I love the color but can't find it anymore...

What color are you going for. I chose Red Mahogany Stain. Hopefully you will also paint the interior of the stand as well ? LMK I will be bring home some white 2 part epoxy paint to add a coat over the KILZ sealer. ( A little over kill ? ) Do you think  :ohmy:

I'm using shower pan liner, like I did with my current set up...I really like it...

And the rest of the inside I'm going to just poly it...I don't feel the need kilz or anything...

I'm staining it kona....it's almost espresso ...plus I'm using oil based...I HATE water based on the stand/canopy

It will show drips badddddd

So the spray poly is just to seal the stain since there is none built in, I usually use the oil based min wax with poly built in...but the last stand I did with it needed 4 coats since it was dark......ugh....it was a lot of staining and steel wooling....

And the tank and stand I the 1st post was my 1st build and oil based paint...I love the color but can't find it anymore...

I left home with the stain drying . I purchased some semi gloss min wax, but I will return it for satin. Do you recommend spray over brush on ?. Tagging along!!'

I left home with the stain drying . I purchased some semi gloss min wax, but I will return it for satin. Do you recommend spray over brush on ?. Tagging along!!'

I've never used the spray..but I HATE puttin on poly....normally i use a foam roller.....so I'm taking the lazy way out...we'll see how it works...worst case scenario is I'm going to do the doors first and may have to sand it off and roll it on