Smallreefs' 150g upgrade!

Okay we'll NIX the verathane stain...bought it in Kona...a dark dark brown like espresso....and yet after sanding and 3 coats it looks exactly the same as before I sanded it!!!!! OMFGeebusness.....

So going back to a Minwax poly ...black satin stain with poly in it....ugh...now. Have to make a paint box big enough so nothing falls into it since it takes so long to dry....

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minwax poly is really the best ....you won't regret it. I have used the spray before and it worked pretty well.. certainly easier!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Do you have all the other equipment picked out or ready for this tank?

Tagging along and looking forward to seeing the new color.

I'm transferring over my skimmer, SWC, but as far as return pumps I'm going to get one of the DC6000's and I will need to order 2 or 3 more d120's for lighting to add to my current 2....

Lastly my friend is giving me a tank (it's either a 40g or a 75 she's not even sure of the size) that I'm planning on using as a sump...

But it looks like I'm working the next 17 days straight so other than a few nights off I'm not going to have much time to work on it :(

But my husband said he'd work on the staining!

I've liked the minwax poly and have gotten really good results over an oil based stain.

I tried the "Polyshades" once as a shortcut to separate stain then poly, but it was basically paint and left big brush marks with the stain in it.  It didn't penetrate to bring out any grain and seemed to offgas piles of solvent for weeks.  We could smell it for a long time.  Have you ever tried that stuff?

Yeah...that's why I thought the verathane would be better...the first pc of furniture I built at work I tried the poly shades...and hated it...so I've used Minwax with poly since, but I really wanted to control the poly as sometime the Minwax gets really shiny, but I guess that I'm just going to have to deal with gloss to get the color I want...

Yeah...that's why I thought the verathane would be better...the first pc of furniture I built at work I tried the poly shades...and hated it...so I've used Minwax with poly since, but I really wanted to control the poly as sometime the Minwax gets really shiny, but I guess that I'm just going to have to deal with gloss to get the color I want...

If you rush the finish process streaks and runs will happen use very thin coats of the poly drys faster, but requires prep in between coats. I will use satin it does not take away from the rich grain look. Thinking about using liquid glass on the upper molding and trim.

• 3 weeks later...

Free tank fell through, but getting a 40b from another Wamas member..

Just finished my 2nd coat on the stand, 1st coat on the doors...and the canopy hasn't been started yet....

And eventually I'll get a picture posted as photobucket does not like my iPad...or the other way around,lol

Lol that's what I was trying to get it to do, but couldn't grab the img code...all the others it would let me,lol

Me too.  Have not had much luck but tapatalk on my iphone made it seem much easier.  Foolproof at least for me...

lol when i get back home this morning going to do the last coat on the stand and another on the doors so i can work on the inside of the stand...

its all gonna take a while anyways, being im going to have to wait for the dc return pump...just sayin...

Got the 3rd coat of stain on the stand and 3 coats of poly on the inside...I going to get the shower liner put in the bottom tonight and get the stand brought in tomorrow morning...so I can finish the doors and start to work on the tank!

Moving ever so slowly..but now I have next weekend off also! So a lot more time to work on it!

Yeah... Not exactly the sheen I was going for..I did buff it down a bit so it's not AS shiny..but wow..still...

Now I'm trying to decide where it's going in my downstairs 'office' Isaac gave me a great idea as I have a 5ft space between my bathroom door and a closet door...and I could easily drill a wee little hole through the wall for my RODI to fill my ATO bucket..

Make it just a bit easier...

Lol...my office is in my basement/walkout...

I can't put anything upstairs...im in a townhouse..not gonna chance it..and really not a good place for it up there either...

Ask me about my two floors of carpet and new drywall sometime (also into vent and furnace!). Don't ask the wife unless you like curse words.

STAY IN THE BASEMENT.

Ask me about my two floors of carpet and new drywall sometime (also into vent and furnace!). Don't ask the wife unless you like curse words.

STAY IN THE BASEMENT.

Especially since this is a rental!

When we move back to WA,in 4 years, it'll be in the family room...we're contemplating adding on 15 ft t the back of the house (including 15 extra feet of kitchen and dining room space and the master bath and bedroom upstairs..., not JUST for the tank,hehehe) I miss my house!

But in this house there really is no where to go with it upstairs, the layout of this townhouse doesn't make that idea easy...