Smallreefs' 150g upgrade!

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it's shower pan liner from HD... I learned, after several overflows, that a liner can hold alot of water! Without ruining floors or the inside of the stand,lol

moving right along kim - nice work! that's my idea too with the closed off section for all the gear. do all your controls, modules, drivers, etc reach from that location to their destination or will you need to mount some other things outside of that location? i'm curious as i'd like to be to isolate everything to one area but i know the vortech drivers, return pump controllers, and other stuff won't reach from one side of the tank to the other where the cabinet would be. perhaps there will just be a few things mounted to the stand. i guess as long as a majority of it is in the cabinet or one can build two cabinets or extend the harnesses. sorry, just thinking out loud. curious if with the six feet that worked out for you.

Edited by monkiboy

Everything excluding a possible powerhead on the other side of the tank will get there...that's why I had to drill a new hole in the back, to bring the light cords in from behind...being my tank/stand is only 5 ft long....I did order a few 2 ft extensions plus a few of those 2 to 1 plug adapters...

Looking good, just remember to drill a hole big enough to fit all the cords thru...

Yeah that hole can fit 2 plugs at once..so the 4 cords for the lights and possibly another ph from the other side......it's a 2 inch hole...

Kim, I left a gap between the top (and bottom) of my stand and the elec board, I have no problem with cords not fitting.  This was not intentionally done so cords fit, but for when I add dosing containers, I need the extra room on the floor.  I'm sure I'm not explaining this right, next time your over I'll show you.......

Well other is a 3inch gap under the board(where the trash bag box is) though that will be covered all the way down with the liner once its screwed in..so the cords from the sump go under then up to my DJ strip...which will be mounted so the switches can be touched when you open the front door....

• 4 weeks later...

So...little bit of a nutrient problem...like many of us have...

I still haven't gotten my biopellets online, but I've started to control my feeding (now that I can see my jawfish, I was worried she wasn't eating)...and turned down my lights a bit, added some new snails and a n urchin from Quantum yesterday and they are all going to town on the GHA...

Other than that...I had originally placed the anemones on opposite sides of the tank...well...now they are right beside each other...the one moved the 5 ft across the bottom of the tank...took 3 weeks but I guess he is where he wants to be, unfortunently for my tomato clown..who gets harassed endlessly by my pair...

image-83.jpg

image-84.jpg

Left side of the tank....not as pretty....

image-85.jpg

And the new urchin...he's definetely getting fed...amazingly enough only he white cheek tang nibbles on the short GHA...

Though I have to say..I love my blue line(?) wrasse...the most outgoing fish I have...he is always out and swimming around when I come to the tank..likes to be around my hand and even when I use the mag cleaner...so I'm going to get him a few ladies...

other than that looks like iI'm done adding fish...I did add a sand sifting goby from quantum yesterday too...hoping the shrimp goby that's paired with my jaw fish doesnt pick on him....

Looking good, I'm surprised the Kole isn't doing it for you with the HA.

Looking good, I'm surprised the Kole isn't doing it for you with the HA.

I have a white cheek tang...still a bristle tooth...but he will only pick the very short GHA..which it easily gets long fast in my tank,lol

Oh the urchin and new snails are mowing it down...its really only on my 2Pieces of cerameco...not really on any other rock...its seems they are so porous when I pulled it by hand it keeps some stuck to it... so that is where the urchin and snails are...

plus i dont want to have to add something and then remove it...or try to...this solution may take a week or two but i like it better

• 3 weeks later...

Well, so I've had a few little issues since the 1st of the year...ich outbreak taking my 2 tangs, all 3 clownfish, my cardinal and my jawfish :( Which I feel was brought on by a multitude of miscellaneous issues.

Then I had the zoa nudi outbreak...

Well looks like everything is on the upswing...

no one else shows any sign of ich...so I feel a bit safer

Used FWE to get rid of the nudis and looks like they are either all gone or hiding really well...

Sorry to hear, Kim. Glad to hear things are getting better though!

With all of the craziness....I had to purchase some replacements before my husband gets home this week...

See he missed all of the craziness with my tank, which is good...but if I were missing 8 fish when he came home I'm sure he'd freak out...

So with the live sale I have replaced some of the occupants with closely matching relatives,lol

A pair of fancy clowns and a new tang

others that werent in my tank that i really wanted....a Midas and a groups of chromis...

I was semi honest and told him I lost a few things,lol I'm hoping my clowns figure out the anemones though, or those will be obviously new....

Still waiting on a bangaii and jawfish before he gets home Thursday,lol