Copepods from Chesapeake Bay?

Sharkey18

Does anyone ever collect copepods from the Chesapeake? If so, is there a favorite spot you go to nab 'em? 

Anyone interested in a field trip? 

I would  be interested too.  How would you do it ?  Any special equiptment ?

Im in on the nerdy copepod trip if it involves beer and actually catching copepods that will live in my tank a long time without dieing of shock right away from salinity difference.

Here is a video of a few minutes of collecting amphipods and copepods in the Long Island Sound.  I dump a batch like this in my tank a few times a year and may go out today to get a bucketfull.

th_2013-06-15162708_zpsde4ea954.jpg

Pods in the Chesapeake probably have AIDS.

That's why I am putting what ever I collect in condoms :clap:

Im in on the nerdy copepod trip if it involves beer and actually catching copepods that will live in my tank a long time without dieing of shock right away from salinity difference.

Emphasis on beer. 

Do we need a copepod hunting license? DNR will find something to bust us on. Ill take y'all out tomorrow but the boat can't get too close to shore

I once tried to get a permit from the EPA to collect urchins here in NY.   No one in their office even knew what an urchin was so they said I didn't need a permit.  I am sure they would also have no idea what a copepod is.

Do we need a copepod hunting license? DNR will find something to bust us on. Ill take y'all out tomorrow but the boat can't get too close to shore

If you're approached, swallow 'em. :wacko:

• 11 months later...

Ok, so it's a year later and I still want to do this. 

I've done some additional research, and it seems that the saltiest areas of the chesapeake are below the rappahanock and I really don't want to travel that far. 

If I head out to Chesapeake beach or cross the bay to Kent Island can I collect those? Will they need to be acclimated to the higher salinity rates of my tank. The area from the bay bridge to the Rappahannock is supposed to be 10 to 18 ppt. Or is it not worth it unless i go out to the shore? 

Check out Gwynn's Island area in Virginia. It's where we did lots of collecting for Marine Bio class in college. Assateague is another good place.

FWIW, just after you cross the Bay Bridge, there's a big retention pond between the 2 roads and you can get some crazy critters out of it.

Hey Laura, we have a social coming up at Dr. Mac's in a few months. If you were to make that event, you could double up and maybe do some pod hunting with some other WAMASers in the area that Rob's talking about.