cube tank questions

Huly

For those that have or had cube tanks what did you like and hate about them? Pez and I are debating a cube 93 gallon marine cube or a 125-130G.

We think a cube will work better as it will hit 2-3 floor joist (long will only sit on one). Also it should give the Aussie Elegance plenty of room, room for fish to swim, and rock reef.

On your cubes what set ups did you like? More details the better

Thanks in advance!

I don't have a cube currently but I do have a column which I love.  With that said, my next tank will definitely be a cube, and will probably be in the range you are discussing.  I love the height that the column brings, and would love if my tank was a cube to add to the depth.  It's hard to argue that the ability to view the tank at maximum potential from 3 sides makes the cube an awesome tank.  Don't look back, go cube!

I also don't have a cube either, but when I do, it will be that 90 gallon one that's sitting at Quantum Reefs. Ideally I'd like something that's plumbed from the middle, so I can do rock work around an overflow, and allow clean viewing from all 4 sides. If you're putting it in the wall (like I know you had thrown the idea about) I would go with the 125.

I love mine. I guess my only complaint personally is the 24" depth can be a pain because of reach and my 2 gen 2 radions don't hit the back corners enough since the tank is 36x36x24. But honestly I love the tank way more then the 6 foot 150 it replaced.

I have a 3' cube on a 40x40 stand with 3 sides viewable. It's only 20" deep though. An improvement would be to go to 4' sq plus 24" tall.

240g....... :drool:

(edited)

Ideally I'd like something that's plumbed from the middle, so I can do rock work around an overflow, and allow clean viewing from all 4 sides. If you're putting it in the wall (like I know you had thrown the idea about) I would go with the 125.

I like this idea too. You could build a sweet rock face to hide the overflow/return and basically have no clutter in the tank (if you have multiple return lines you may be able to do away with powerheads)

Edited by Jason Rhoads

I like the plumbing in the middle idea as well.

Definitely a "dream tank" of mine.. a nice big cube setup in my man cave.  Need a bigger house first though.

I'm with Jenn on this one. I've been in your house and a cube would look nice where the RSM is now considering both the view and the location along the floor joists.  I like longer tanks for the distance swimmers, though.

I have a deep blue 2ft cube....60 gallons. I love it. I view the tank from all 4 sides and love how little real estate it takes up. Only downside is swimming room. Since it is as high as it is long there is less horizontal room for fish to swim as there would be in a standard 60 gallon.

I'm with Jenn on this one. I've been in your house and a cube would look nice where the RSM is now considering both the view and the location along the floor joists.  I like longer tanks for the distance swimmers, though.

our floor joist are 24" apart so it would def hit 2 being a cube :)

I got Eric's 60 Gal (24X24X24)Rimless Reef Savvy back in November and the tank has been running for about 7 months and loving the 3 sided views.

Setup:  

40 lbs live rock

live sand

glass holes overflow (quiet)

2 10 gal stepped sump setup (design by Quantum Reef) 

AI Sol (good for 24X24)

MP40 ES due to 3/4 glass

Like:  Rimless clean look (wont do it any other way)

Dislike:  limitations on sump so had to have custom design by QR

Make sure when you pick dimensions that it would fit through your doors.  Most doors you can barely squeeze 30X30 unless you have sliding doors.

If you want pics, I can email or text.  LMK.

Do it! Ha ha..So many people are drooling over the 93G after seeing it at QR...The tank will fit through any 36" door (I think it's 32 or 33" clear). You would have to have a very old home to not have at least your front door be 36"....But...that doesn't mean your interior doors are 36" doors.

Also..is your basement finished? If not, it's not too difficult to reinforce the structure around if you really want a long tank for fish.

What a nice tank!

Wow that is really cool! Please PM or email me photos I am looking for all kinds of ideas

want to buy mine? :) 17g shallow cube 

want to buy mine? :) 17g shallow cube 

That would not fit my one Aussie Elegance LOL