BUBBLE TIP TROUBLE

gwweber

For three or four years I have been cultivating some rather great looking anemones. They were bought from a member in the woodbridge area. They get huge, 1 foot across and are increadable specimuns. They were sold to me as a bubble tip anemine. The one thing I have never seen then do in any of the numerus tanks they have been in is to bubble up. They split like crazy, get huge, have been grown under all types of lights and current conditions in many different tanks and none have bubbled. Is part of the problem that we are having in this area due to fact that everyone thinks these anemones, which are being passed around by our membership as RBTA are actually ritiri anemonies. I looked on google search and there are a number of picture of these anemones that lool just like mine. Perhaps this is part of the reason that everone is asking how come the rbta anemone they have looks great, but wont bubble? I am going to give a friend of mine, who has two real wonderous dinnerplate size RBTA's in his tank one of mine to see if it will bubble in the tank with his two huge bubbles.

Do you have a pic of your anemone ? I started with one and now have many. Some bubble and some don't.

post-290-0-73544400-1361130647_thumb.jpg

post-290-0-31099500-1361132589_thumb.jpg

It would appear that light intensity appears to be the determining factor as I have noticed that those closer to the top have bubbles and those at the bottom don't.

I have LEDs in this tank.

Light and water flow will have a most impact. But I've noticed that, generally, they only bubble up when they are fairly small....like after splitting.

there has also been speculation that there is chemical warefare with other corals that keeps them from creating the "bubbles".

The tank of BTAs in the pic only has BTAs and 2 clowns, no corals. However, my DT with corals has a BTA that "bubbles" and that BTA has right next to a waving hand and mushroom; I don't think either would create warfare though.

(edited)

traded a few supposed rbta for several know bubbly anemones. Will think i know the real answer after this weekend however one is beautiful almost florescent yellow bubbler, looks sweet under a lot of blue..

Edited by gwweber

pretty funny the small rbta that i got is already bubbling and he is just open a very little

Light and water flow will have a most impact. But I've noticed that, generally, they only bubble up when they are fairly small....like after splitting.

Light for me is a big factor in bubble.

If it's an e.quadricolor, it's a bta

I have had BTAs next to each othe from a split and one always had bubbles while the other never did. It's most likely based only on conditions. I doubt you've had that much luck with Ritteri splitting, although that would be super cool and profitable, too!

I have at least 10 of the large non bubble red anemones in a friends tank. The complete rockwork in the front of his tank is wall to wall ,here is a pic on one of mine http://s782.photobucket.com/user/gwweber/media/IMG_3319.jpg.html?sort=3&o=8#/user/gwweber/media/IMG_3319.jpg.html?sort=3&o=8&_suid=136587819134406634985717242201

I really think that these anemones were sold as rbta and are not. This is why everone has trouble getting them to bubble. I have two tanks with two new bubbletips in them and they have bubbles, but the other anemones have been in my tanks for several years and dont buble.

They are the same though...there are many thoughts as to why some bubble and others do not...to far down the line of a clone of a clone is my personal belief....

Though I have an RBTA that has split 3 times in my tank and the 3rd has bubbles most of the time and the other 2 usually don't...

I think it looks better without the bubbles.
I agree actually

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Edited by sachabballi reef

I personally observed that BTAs usually bubble up when they are small or when they are being relocated or newly introduce to the tank (possible stress related).

This RBTA was newly introduced to my tank. Bubble up! It's has no bubble before I put it into the new tank.

RBTA3

RBTA2

RBTA1

Gary, remember you and Donna were jealous when I showed you pics for you to see that the GBTA you gave me was all bubbly, even though the one it sprouted from in your tank was not? It still has bubbles, but sometimes mixed with straight tentacles. Maybe you should give me the RBTA too.

So, how do people with bubbles feed their bta versus those who do not have bubbles? I feed mine a chunk of frozen food about 5 days a week.

Edited by treesprite

once in a blue moon i feed mine....but usually never and it has bubbled since i put it in the tank....the clown grabs it pieces of food and brings it to it when its feeling generous

Mine had bubbles for a long time. And now it doesn't. It has split twice and neither clone has bubbles. They are BTA's.